Study Abroad Health Insurance

& Travel Assistance

GeoBlue Health Insurance

All UD employees and students traveling internationally for UD business or educational purposes are automatically covered by the University’s international health insurance policy with GeoBlue. This coverage does not apply to travel within the U.S. 

Visit the UD Risk Management website and carefully read information on coverages and exclusions. GeoBlue does not cover injuries sustained due to engagement in high-risk activities such as skin/scuba diving, skydiving, mountaineering, ultralight aircraft, parasailing, sail planning, hang gliding, parachuting or bungee jumping.

Several months before your program, CGPS will register your travel program with GeoBlue. In the meantime, we encourage you to download UD’s member card and log in using UD’s institutional group ID number found on the card. Select “log in or register” at the top of the page, then follow the “for students/members” prompt. You will then be asked to create a password. After logging in you will receive a confirmation email. Take a look at health/safety information for your site and search for health care providers at your study abroad destination.

Before Departure

Before departure, you will receive your printed insurance card. Be sure to take this card with you abroad! Make a copy of it and keep the copy in a safe place and somewhere other than in your wallet (in case your wallet gets lost or stolen). Prepare to be healthy abroad by reading these Geo-Blue resources.

Prior to departure, complete the HIPPA release form and leave it with your designated emergency contact at home. In a medical emergency, this form allows GeoBlue's staff to communicate with in-country medical professionals about your condition.

While Abroad

Should you need to use your insurance abroad, read about how to file a claim. Plan to pay up-front, get a receipt and submit this claim form for reimbursement. If you have a medical emergency abroad, you and others will have round-the-clock toll-free access to expert GeoBlue personnel. Go to the GeoBlue website to replace a lost insurance card, check the status of a pending claim, or try the medical translation guide.

Please note: GeoBlue charges an additional fee to cover individuals age 75 and older. This fee will vary depending on the length of the program but may amount to $500 or more. The exact fee for such individuals will be calculated on a case-by-case basis. 

Travel Assistance and Evacuation Coverage

The University of Delaware contracts with Drum-Cussac to provide emergency travel assistance and evacuation services to all University students and employees traveling outside the U.S. on University-related business. Prior to travel, the Center for Global Programs & Services will upload travel information into the Drum-Cussac portal for all students and faculty participating in a study abroad or domestic study program. In the meantime faculty and students can log in to the Drum-Cussac portal to find health and safety information about their travel destination and to register for e-mail alerts. More information about this travel assistance service can be found on the website of UD's Office of Risk Management.

Other Coverage

Because your insurance policies provide substantial coverage for medical evacuation, repatriation of remains and medical treatment, we do not recommend that you purchase the International Student I.D. card or other coverage unless you plan to travel on your own outside of the program dates.


#UDIntlCoffeeHour | #UDAbroad | #UDWorldScholar | #DEDiplomat

Photo taken by Maxfield Feigelman on the 19W Australia CIEG study abroad program.