Pre-Arrival for Undergraduate Students

New international students express fondness for UD and each other

Health Advisories

COVID-19 FAQs for International Students & Scholars
Immigration, travel, employment & more

COVID-19 FAQs for Study Abroad Students
Travel, programs, health & more

UD COVID-19 Updates


Impact on the University community and academics

Pre-Arrival Information for Undergraduate Students


We're so excited that you've decided to become a UD Blue Hen!

This page will guide you through the most important first steps to officially accept your offer of admission, start the visa process and become a UD undergraduate student! All of these steps are required and are described in detail below. For questions prior to your arrival, please contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions or the Center for Global Programs & Services (CGPS). You can accomplish most tasks prior to arrival by using your custom My Blue Hen Home portal.

Click on a task below for more details.

To accept admission to the University of Delaware, you must pay your admissions and housing deposits by three weeks from the date on your letter of admission. You may go online to My Blue Hen Home portal and pay your admissions/housing deposit using a credit card or you may return a bank check in U.S. dollars with the purple deposit form located in your admission packet. Please note that the admissions deposit is non-refundable.


If you need to request an I-20/DS-2019 and you have paid your admissions deposit, you can access the I-20/DS-2019 link in My Blue Hen Home portal. Be prepared to upload the following documents:

  • A bank statement or financial guarantee (In English and in USD) showing the minimum amount for your program OR your scholarship/funding letter.
  • A completed Affidavit of Support if the bank statement is not in your name.

  • A copy of your passport biographical page and passports of all dependents.

Remember, you will need to show that you have funds available to attend UD. You will be asked if you are fully funded, partially funded, or relying solely on personal, government or family funds. If you are being partially funded, you will be required to upload both your funding statement and other funding verification. Find out what it costs to attend UD. If you have questions about the I-20/DS-2019 request, contact CGPS at

After you receive your new I-20/DS-2019, you will need to pay the SEVIS fee.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) charges a fee for F-1 students and J-1 exchange visitors in order to support the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). SEVIS is the web-based system where important visa forms and documents (I-20/DS-2019) are created. CGPS uses SEVIS to report and maintain the immigration status of students and exchange visitors while in the U.S.

For SEVIS fee requirements and to access the fee payment form (I-901 form) go to This fee must be paid in U.S. dollars and can be paid online. The SEVIS fee must be made at least three (3) U.S. government working days before your visa application interview.

After you make your payment, a confirmation message will appear on your computer screen. Print the confirmation message. You will need to bring the confirmation message (receipt) with you to your visa application interview.

Please contact CGPS if you have any questions.


After you receive your I-20 form (for F-1 visa) or DS-2019 form (for J-1 visa), use your passport to schedule your visa appointment. Take your passport and I-20/DS-2019 along with your original admission letter, SEVIS fee receipt, and financial documentation (ex: financial support letter, sponsorship letter, current bank statement) to the U.S. embassy or consulate in your country to apply for your visa. The U.S. Embassy website provides links to all US embassies and consulates worldwide.

Once approved, the visa is stamped in your passport. Canadian citizens are exempt from having to obtain a visa, but must use their I-20 or DS-2019 to enter and must obtain a Form I-94 clearly indicating F-1 or J-1 status (after entry to the U.S.). You are permitted to enter the U.S. up to 30 days prior to the start date noted on your I-20/DS-2019 form. You are required to report to and attend the school designated on your visa stamp and I-20/DS-2019 form. For more information, please visit the following websites for F-1 visas and J-1 visas.

Bringing family with you: If you have a spouse and/or children and you want them to accompany you to the U.S. on an F-2 or J-2 visa and did not request dependents at the time of your I-20/DS-2019 request, you need to complete the Request Dependent I-20/DS-2019 Application. Once your dependents arrive in the U.S., contact CGPS at You are required to purchase health insurance for all dependents. You have 30 days from their arrival to do so. For more information, please contact the Office of Risk Management.

IMPORTANT Processing Delays and Additional Visa Screening: Due to the March 6, 2017 presidential memorandum that orders increased vetting for U.S. visas, applicants will face closer questioning and more security checks under new State Department procedures. Longer waits for visa appointments and issuance are likely. For more information, please see Visa Appointment Wait Times.

The Department of State has also added a social media question to Form DS-160, which requires applicants to indicate the social media platforms that they have used during the five years preceding their visa application. Consular officers are likely to review the information during the visa process, which may result in additional screening and visa issuance delays. For more information, see the Department of State FAQ on Social Media Identifiers in the DS-160 and DS-260.

Please plan ahead to allow for possible increased processing times and additional questioning. If you have any questions, please contact CGPS.

Your academic advisor and other University of Delaware representatives will begin communicating with you as soon as you submit your deposit to UD. The main way in which we will communicate with you is through your UD email account, so please set up your email account as soon as possible. Go to the Information Technologies (IT) site for Instructions for setting up all of your technology needs.

Incoming freshmen who are not married and are under 21, must live in on-campus housing for their first year.

Sometimes students require specific housing accommodations, such as a single room, air conditioning, access to a kitchen, etc. because they have special requirements. Providing housing accommodations are one way Residence Life and Housing helps students with specific requirements to have a fulfilling residential experience, just like their peers.

If you have a specific requirement or need, you are not alone!  Many students require accommodations for various reasons. Conditions that might require accommodations include:

  • Dietary restrictions (for example, if you do not eat meat, or if you are allergic to nuts)

  • Physical or Medical needs (for example, if you use a walking device or wheelchair and need to be close to campus or have a medical condition that requires you live in an air conditioned room)

If you have a medical condition and you require housing accommodations, you must tell Residence Life and Housing in your housing application. You must complete a form with Disability Support Services (for physical, mental, or medical requirements) and Dining Services (for diet restrictions). There are special forms for these requests, and they are available in the Housing Portal of Residence Life and Housing. Medical documentation will need to be provided from a physician to support your request. Please go to the Housing Info & Policies site for complete details.

Having a medical or dietary concern is not an excuse to live off campus. The University provides several services to assist students with a wide range of concerns so everyone can have a beneficial and positive residential experience. If you do not fill out the required forms and report your special requirements, you may have to wait for an available vacancy that will fit your needs. If you have questions about this policy, or if you are not sure whether your requirement qualifies for accommodations, contact Residence Life and Housing. They are excited to make your residential experience a great one!

All new undergraduate students are required to live in the residence halls to enjoy a true U.S. college experience. Learning to live with someone new is part of the university experience; however, Residence Life and Housing recognizes that some students would prefer to live with someone they know and make that selection themselves. Roommate selection is usually available in May, when the complete listing of the incoming freshmen class is finalized. Log onto your My Blue Hen Home portal to access your housing preference form if you wish to choose a roommate. All roommate requests MUST be mutual.

If you do not make a request for a specific roommate, you are advised to complete the “Lifestyle Questionnaire” on the Housing Application. These questions are not meant to embarrass you, and there are no wrong answers. At UD, we have thousands of students to assign into rooms, and it is the goal of Residence Life and Housing to pair you with a roommate or roommates that have the same living habits as you. This way you can have the best experience possible.

Living Learning Communities (LLC) provide the opportunity to become part of a unique experience with programs and facilities to advance the interests of the community members. Each LLC is connected with a specific academic unit or department that provides support to the residents in these communities and direction for developmental activities.

International House (iHouse) is a global community of University of Delaware International and Domestic Students. Residents of iHouse experience a rich, cultural exchange as well as participate in extended programming and community building. For information on the iHouse and other Living Learning Experiences on the Residence Life and Housing In-Hall Communities webpage.

Read about our meal plans on the UD Dining Services webpage and choose the dining plan that best matches your current eating style. 

Tuition and related fees information can be found on the Student Financial Services website. Finalized rates are announced early each July for the following academic year. For a current breakdown of tuition fees required for attendance, please visit the CGPS Costs webpage.

A note about the International Service Fee: The international service fee is a mandatory fee charged to all enrolled students holding a non-immigrant visa status. It is used to support the services provided by the Center for Global Programs & Services. This fee provides international students with essential services, such as advising, processing of immigration documents, regulatory reporting, and other acculturation programs and resources. Additionally, it covers the cost of maintaining institutional compliance with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and the U.S. Department of State regulations.

The University of Delaware uses electronic billing through email notification to bill students for charges. UD provides the My Finances website so students may view up-to-date student account activity and make payments. Billing notifications are sent in mid-July and mid-December for the Fall and Spring Semesters, respectively, and additional email communications will alert you when there is new activity on your student account.


Email notifications are sent to your UD student email address, along with any parent/guardian or guest for whom you have granted billing access. To grant access to your student account to others, you should complete the following steps:


  • Log into your UDSIS account.

  • Click on “Grant Parent My Finances Access” link under the “Finances” section.

  • On the Parent/Guardian Services Administration page, under “Invite a Parent/Guardian,” input the email address of your parent/guardian that you are granting access, select relationship and check the “My Finances” box. 

  • Click the “Send Invitation” button. This will send an email to the specified address with the remaining required actions.

Payment of the account balance is due on August 1st for the Fall Semester and early January for the Spring Semester.  You can elect to pay the full balance by these dates or select the installment plan, which allows payment of the balance to be made in four equal payments over the course of the term. There is a $50 fee assessed each term you take advantage of the installment plan. The payment schedule for the Installment Plan includes fall payments due early August - November and spring payments due early January - May. You have the following payment options:

  • Pay the balance in full online via a U.S. checking account with routing and bank account numbers, by credit card (there is a 4.25% convenience fee assessed to this method of payment), or through a paper check, certified check, or money order. 

  • Complete an international transfer. This is done through a partnership between the University and Western Union. It allows you to lock in the exchange rate for 72 hours, yields a faster transfer, and does not include any hidden fees. Steps to complete an international transfer are listed below:

    • Log in to My Finances to view the student account.

    • Click the box in the payment field to either pay the full balance or make an installment payment.

    • Click on “Next Step.”

    • Under “Payment Method”, select “International Transfer” and then “Finish and Submit”.

    • An International Transfer form will open for you to print. Take that form to your bank within 72 hours to receive the exchange rate. If the 72 hour window closes, you must complete the process again.

The University requires that international students carry health insurance, and the fee for student insurance will be billed directly to your My Finances account. See more in the Medical Insurance section below. 

Additional information can be found on the Student Health Insurance Plan website. Please refer to askSFS for answers to frequently asked questions or to submit a question using the online contact form. Alternatively, you can also reach a Student Financial Services advisor at (302) 831-2126. Note: Students should have U.S. currency available for travel expenses and any emergency that might occur between arrival at the port of entry and arrival in Newark, Delaware. For a current breakdown of tuition fees required for attendance, please visit the CGPS Costs webpage.

Medical insurance is mandatory and will be charged directly on your bill. Rates for annual coverage can be found on the Office of Risk Management website. If a student chooses to substitute medical insurance from their home country that is comparable to the University-provided health insurance, the student must submit an insurance waiver form with proof of your medical insurance coverage. The waiver form is available on the University Health Plans website. University Health Plans will determine if the alternate insurance is adequate and if the charge can be waived.

Students choosing to purchase health insurance at home prior to arriving on campus or students wishing to remain a part of their family’s health insurance policy should be aware of the requirements that the University of Delaware uses in determining if a student’s insurance coverage is comparable to the University-provided coverage.

The University of Delaware requires matriculated students to have received:

  • Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) - 2 doses after age 12 months
  • Meningitis ACWY (Menactra/Menveo/MenQuadfi) – one dose after age 16
  • COVID-19 - Primary series plus one booster
  • Tuberculosis Screening and Testing (if indicated)
  • Health History (Medical Conditions, Medications, Allergies)
  • Insurance Card

More information, including how to submit immunization documentation and other documents via the UD Health Portal is available on the Immunization and Medical History webpage.

Health and Immunization requirements should be completed by July 25 (for fall semester) or by January 25 (for spring semester). Failure to complete Health and Immunization requirements will result in an academic hold on your account that prevents class registration.

Please note that for any student under the age of 18 at their time of arrival on campus, a parent or guardian’s permission to provide medical treatment is required. Access the “Consent to Treat Minor Patients” form on the Immunization and Medical History webpage.

All admitted students are required to send the Admission Office an official final transcript of any college work completed, including college courses taken at institutions of higher learning while students are still in high school. Students wishing to receive college credit for coursework taken at a non-U.S. institution of higher education must provide a credential evaluation from the International Education Research Foundation (IERF). Please visit the IERF website for instructions on how to request a “Standard Application with a Detail Report”, and where to mail your documents. IERF will send your credential evaluation directly to the University of Delaware.

For complete information on how credits from institutions outside of the U.S. may be transferred, please visit the Office of the University Registrar website.

The University of Delaware also awards advanced standing credit for appropriate scores on the Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) exams, as well grades attained on the Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examinations (CAPE) and Advanced A Level exams. For more information, visit the Undergraduate Admissions webpage.

Orientation and other welcome events are designed to help you transition to UD and the U.S. and to complete government check-in so you can be registered in SEVIS.

Register and learn more about New Student Orientation (NSO). In addition, all new international students – whether they are currently abroad or in the U.S. – are required to attend International Student Orientation (ISO).


#UDIntlCoffeeHour | #UDAbroad | #UDWorldScholar | #DEDiplomat

ISSS Disclaimer: The information contained on this web site is provided as a service to international students, faculty, staff, employees, and administrators at the University of Delaware, and does not constitute legal advice on any immigration, tax, or other matter. As legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, nothing provided herein should be used as a substitute for the advice of official counsel. For assistance on your immigration status, we encourage you to contact an ISS advisor for specific guidance at