Transferring Out

International students gather on Old College lawn
Transferring Out | CGPS | University of Delaware

Health Advisories

COVID-19 FAQs for International Students & Scholars
Immigration, travel, employment & more

COVID-19 FAQs for Study Abroad Students
Travel, programs, health & more

UD COVID-19 Updates


Impact on the University community and academics

Procedures for Transferring out for Graduate and Undergraduate Students

To be eligible to transfer to another DHS-approved school, students must be maintaining valid F-1 or J-1 status. Students must transfer their immigration status within the 60 day grace period following successful completion of the current program of study or period of authorized Optional Practical Training (for F-1s) or before the end of their program (for J-1s).

Students intending to transfer prior to completion of their program should request the transfer prior to their last date of attendance at UD. Speak with an ISS advisor to determine the transfer release date.

You must begin your study at the new school no later than 5 months after the date of your last attendance at UD.

Note for Graduate Students: You must officially withdraw from your program before a transfer will be completed on your behalf.

Please complete the International Request to Transfer Out Form online.

You will need to upload the following documents to the online form. Please note that CGPS will no longer accept paper forms or letters of acceptance:

  • Written confirmation of your acceptance by another SEVIS-certified school.

  • Transfer form from your new school showing the SEVIS school code (F-1) or program code (J-1) and the contact information for the transfer-in school.

The student must reenter the United States with a Form I-20/DS-2019 for the school that holds his or her active or initial record. We recommend that you time your travel and transfer to allow enough time for the new school to issue your new I-20/DS-2019. Transfers must be completed before you leave the U.S.


#UDIntlCoffeeHour | #UDAbroad | #UDWorldScholar | #DEDiplomat

ISSS Disclaimer: The information contained on this web site is provided as a service to international students, faculty, staff, employees, and administrators at the University of Delaware, and does not constitute legal advice on any immigration, tax, or other matter. As legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, nothing provided herein should be used as a substitute for the advice of official counsel. For assistance on your immigration status, we encourage you to contact an ISS advisor for specific guidance at