On-Campus Housing

First year undergraduate students are required to live in University residence halls, and many undergraduate students choose to continue living on-campus beyond their first year. University-sponsored housing is not available for graduate students.

Detailed information about housing for undergraduate students is provided on the Pre-Arrival Information for Undergraduate Students webpage. For information about University residence halls, undergraduate students can contact Residence Life & Housing via email at reslife-housing@udel.edu or by calling (302) 831-4663.

The International House (iHouse) Living Learning Community, made up of globally-minded international and domestic students, is one of the on-campus options available for upper division undergraduate students.

Learn about iHouse

Special Accomodations

Students with special housing requests based on Dietary, Medical, or Physical needs must submit their requests in writing. 

Read More

In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the University of Delaware is committed to providing equal access for students, employees and visitors with a disability. The Office of Disabilities Support Services (DSS) provides reasonable accommodations and ensures equal access to University programs and services. The DSS office works with individuals who have physical, medical, psychological disabilities, as well as, learning disabilities and ADHD. Anyone requesting an accommodation from the University based on a disability should contact the DSS office directly.

It is the individual's responsibility to inform the DSS office of the disability and need for accommodation. The DSS staff works in conjunction with other University departments to assist individuals with disabilities. Eligibility for reasonable accommodations is determined on a case-by-case basis utilizing established documentation guidelines. Please contact a DSS professional by phone (302) 831-4643, by TTY/TDD (302) 831-4563, by fax (302) 831-3261, by email DSSoffice@udel.edu, or visit the website at www.udel.edu/DSS. The office is located at 240 Academy Street, Alison Hall, Suite 119, Newark, DE 19716. Students with temporary disabling conditions should contact the DSS office to discuss accommodations. University visitors with a disability are asked to contact the sponsoring department in advance to ensure appropriate arrangements can be made. Students with special housing requests based on Dietary, Medical, or Physical needs must submit their requests in writing. For complete details on housing requests involving special needs, please contact DSS or Residence Life and Housing at (302) 831-3676.

If you have any special needs for accommodation in terms of physical access, or you have a learning disability, or other circumstance or issue that requires our special attention, please let us know. For further information please contact an CGPS staff member or the Office of Disability Support Services.

Read Less

Off-Campus Housing

Non-university-sponsored housing, called off-campus housing, is available for graduate students, scholars and undergraduate students who are exempt from living on-campus.

Costs vary, depending on whether you are renting a room or apartment, how close you will be to campus, and the amenities offered. Rooms are normally furnished, with or without kitchen facilities, and the cost is usually between $350-$600 per month. Apartments are unfurnished and the cost is $600 or more per month for one bedroom.

More affordable housing options may be found further away from campus, but this may result in the need to purchase a car or incur other transportation and parking expenses. Consider transportation options as you make your decision about housing.

Apartments Near Campus

The Google map below shows the apartment complexes that are closest to campus. Click "View larger map" to see options that are further away, and click the links to research price and amenities for any you are interested in.

Note that these apartments and the search services listed above are not subsidiaries of the University of Delaware, and their inclusion on this page does not represent an endorsement by the University.

Signing a Housing Agreement

Once you have found a suitable apartment, you’ll be asked to sign a lease, a legal agreement committing you to live in a place for a certain period of time at a certain price per month. You may also be asked to pay a security deposit which is often equal to one month’s rent. Here are a few things to remember:

  • Be sure that you understand the terms of the lease before you sign it.

  • Most area apartments require a year-long lease.

  • You must pay rent for the entire amount of time that you agree to live in the apartment. Most leases state that the tenant may not vacate the apartment until the lease expires. If you vacate the apartment and are unable to find someone to rent your apartment, the law requires that you still have to pay the rent. You may not just vacate one apartment because you find another one that you like better.

  • View the State of Delaware Landlord Tenant Code.

  • Some landlords may ask for a “reference” before allowing you to rent their quarters.

  • If there is something you do not understand in the lease, please contact CGPS before you sign it.

WARNING: Do not sign a lease until you arrive and see the room or apartment.

Setting Up Your Apartment

Furniture & Housewares

Good but used furniture may be purchased at reasonable prices at second-hand stores, and there are many places locally and online that sell anything you need for your new home. Learn about shopping options on our Life in the U.S. webpage. 


It is your responsibility to have the electric connected when renting an apartment. The location of your apartment will determine which electric company provides the service. If the apartment is in the City of Newark, visit the tenant resources webpage or go to the Newark Municipal Building, 220 Elkton Road, Newark, Delaware, where the Utility Billing Office is located on the 1st floor (Phone: 302-366-7085). A minimum $75 deposit is required for electric heat, and a $50 deposit is required for gas or oil heat. 

If the apartment is located outside the City of Newark, contact Delmarva Power. Delmarva Power does not require a deposit. Check with your rental office to find out which utility will provide your power.

Home Telephone/Internet/Cable TV

The two main providers of these services in the area are listed below. Ask your landlord which utility will provide these services:


more resources: shopping, banking & communications

The English Language Institute provides housing for all ELI students who need it. Some housing choices include kitchens, but students can also purchase meal plans and eat in University dining halls or food courts. For more information regarding housing and dining plans for ELI students, please visit the ELI website.

Temporary Housing

If your permanent housing will not be available the day that you arrive, you have a few options:

Connect with student organizations for support

Student organizations often provide informal advice and support to help new students from similar cultures or areas of study. We encourage you to reach out to these undergraduate student and graduate student organizations directly.

Stay in a hotel

There are several hotels close to campus, including Courtyard by MarriottEmbassy SuitesCandlewood Suites, Baymont by Wyndham, Homewood Suites, Springhill Suites and more.*

Check in early to University residence halls

Undergraduate students can request to check in to their dorm early by contacting Residence Life & Housing.

Stay at the INNternational House

The INNternationale House at 153 Courtney Street, Newark, Delaware 19711 is very close to campus and provides both temporary and long-term housing. For more information and online registration visit The INNternational House website.* 


Note that the hotels and other temporary housing options listed above are not subsidiaries of the University of Delaware, and their inclusion on this page does not represent an endorsement by the University.


#UDIntlCoffeeHour | #UDAbroad | #UDWorldScholar

ISSS Disclaimer: The information contained on this web site is provided as a service to international students, faculty, staff, employees, and administrators at the University of Delaware, and does not constitute legal advice on any immigration, tax, or other matter. As legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, nothing provided herein should be used as a substitute for the advice of official counsel. For assistance on your immigration status, we encourage you to contact an ISS advisor for specific guidance at oiss@udel.edu.