Moving Off Campus
Finding off-campus housing can be an overwhelming process; especially for students new to the area. We've compiled some resources below that can help you transition from our graduate student housing to living off campus in the Newark community.
Below are some resources that can be helpful for living in the Newark area, especially living off campus. Some of these resources are government agencies or private businesses and not affiliated with UD and our office is not endorsing any of these agencies or businesses.
Moving Off Campus
Most apartment complexes will either include certain utilities (electric, water/sewer, trash pickup, gas) in the price of your rent or provide you with information to contract services with the provider in your area. Your utility providers are based on where your apartment is located. Below are some local utility providers for the Newark area.
City of Newark (electric, sewer and water)
Delmarva Power (power company for parts of Newark and New Castle County)
New Castle County Public Works (water and sewer)
Xfinity Student Plans (internet provider)
Verizon Student Plans (internet provider)
Living in Newark
DART (Delaware Area Regional Transit) Bus System: How to Ride Guides (available in English and Spanish)
Newark Amtrak Station (located across from STAR campus and UDairy Creamery)
Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles (driver license and identification card)
University of Delaware Dining
- Newark Natural Foods: 209 Newark Shopping Center, 230 E. Main Street, Newark, DE 19711
- Acme: 100 College Square, Newark, DE 19711 (closest to East campus)
- Acme: 100 Suburban Drive, Newark, DE 19711 (closest to South campus)
- Food Lion: 401 New London Road, Newark, DE 19711 (closest to North/Laird campus)
Halal Grocery Stores
- Alam Halal Meat and Grocery: 700 Capitol Trail, Newark, DE 19711
- Roohani-Lasani Grocery. Halal Meat & Restaurant: 18 Marrows Road, Newark, DE 19713
International Grocery Stores
Cell Phone Service Carriers
- T-Mobile: 230 E. Main Street #109, Newark, DE 19711
- AT&T: 172 E. Main Street, Newark, DE 19711
- Metro by T-Mobile: 230 E. Main Street, Unit 602, Newark, DE 19711
- Verizon: 408 Suburban Dr, Newark, DE 19711
Cell Phone Purchase and Repair
Residence Life & Housing is part of the Division of Student Life, which advances equity and inclusion, deepens student learning and drives holistic development through education, experiences and communities.