Fall 2020 Move-in
Move-in marks the beginning of your journey on UD's campus.
This year, Move-in is August 26-31, and students will receive a specific time-slot in their assignments email. When you arrive to campus, you will check-in at our central location on South Campus, then proceed to your building for Move-in.
Staff, students and volunteers will be available all day to welcome you and answer questions. Read our guide for details about the logistics, how to prepare, and what we're doing to keep everyone healthy and safe.
We are so happy to have you on campus!
Students will receive their room assignment and a Move-in timeslot via their udel.edu email the third week of August.
All students are assigned a two-hour timeslot for Move-in. Your check-in appointment time is at the start of your timeslot. Please arrive +/- 15 minutes of your appointment time. Students are limited to two Move-in helpers, and the helpers will be expected to leave the residence hall at the conclusion or your timeslot.
Students can change their timeslot by logging into My Housing Portal, navigating to the 'Move-in 2020' tab. Timeslot changes will be accepted through 5 p.m on August 23. We will not be able to accommodate timeslot changes after this time.
Don't forget to bring these on Move-in Day:
- Face coverings for each person (to be worn in all common areas outside of your assigned room)
- A printed copy of your Move-in dashtag (if you don't have access to a printer we will have copies available)
- Returning students must bring their UDID. If you need a replacement UDID, you can make an appointment with the OneCard Office.
What to Expect:
- Arrive 15 minutes before or after your assigned timeslot. Report to central check-in in the parking lot of the Delaware Field House at 621 S College Ave, Newark DE.
- Check-in staff will be there to welcome you.
- Show your dashtag or mobile check-in info to the check-in staff. We'll give you your building access items (such as keys), and first-year students will receive their student ID.
- Proceed to the drop-and-go lane of your assigned building and unload your vehicle. Someone must stay with the vehicle at all times.
- Once you are finished unloading, park your vehicle in a designated parking spot. We recommend someone stays with your belongings while moving the car.
- Students and live-in staff will be available at your assigned buildings to welcome you and answer any questions.
- Bring items to your room assignment and unpack your room!
- To maintain low-occupancy and physical distancing in the halls during Move-in, we ask that Move-in helpers leave the building once the two-hour Move-in timeslot is complete.
Before your Move-in day, there are some important steps students and their families need to accomplish:
- Reach out to your Suitemate or Apartment Roommates to get acquainted (their contact information was included in your assignment letter sent on August 18).
- Complete COVID-19 testing within 14 days of your arrival and submit results to Student Health
- Review Coronavirus Awareness training for on-campus students
- Room assignments and Move-in timeslot will be emailed to you and available in the My Housing Portal the third week of August. You can make changes to your timeslot through 5 p.m. on August 23 (see 'Accessing and Changing your Move-in Timeslot' above).
- After August 24, log into My Housing Portal to access your dashtag. You can print it or keep a copy on your mobile phone.
- Twin XL bedding (for suite-style residence halls) or Full-size bedding (apartments), and pillows
- Clothing & shoes for rain, shine and possible snow!
- Coat hangers
- Shampoo, Soap, deodorant
- Toilet Paper
- Laundry supplies (basket, detergent, etc)
- Personal and OTC medications
- Bathroom cleaning supplies (All students are responsible for cleaning their own bathrooms)
- Kitchen cleaning supplies (if in an apartment)
- Vacuums are available to sign out at RA offices, but uyou may also bring your own
- Disinfectant Surface Wipes
- Microwave no larger than 700 watts
- Refrigerator no larger than 4.5 cubic ft
- Or rent from mymicrofridge.com
- Laptop/Computer, charger
- Surge Protector
- Desk Lamp
- Headphones with Mic
- 7-14 reusable face coverings (CDC recommends you wash after every use) or 3.5 months supply of disposable masks
- Hand Sanitizer
- A few decorative Items
- Foods & snacks
- Bike/bike lock
- Kitchen items, depending on room type
- Packing a 'go-bag' to take with you to Student Health Services if you suspect you may have been exposed COVID-19 and will need to be quarantined or isolated. These items are provided in quarantine and isolation spaces: one-time use sheets, fleece blanket, towel, shampoo, deodorant, wash cloth, soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, one-time use pillow, toilet paper, and tissues. You should pack any items you'll need for the following 14 days including clothes, laptop, chargers and necessary class supplies.
From the North and the East:
I-95 South to Delaware exit 1-B, Route 896 north. Delaware Field House is located on the right, after Routes 4/896 intersection and adjacent to the Bob Carpenter Center and Delaware Stadium.
From the South and the West:
I-95 North to Maryland Exit 109B, Route 279 north (also called Route 2). Proceed on this road which becomes Elkton Road into Newark. Turn right at the intersection of Routes 2 (279) and 4. Turn left at the intersection of Routes 4/896. The Delaware Field House Center is located on the right, adjacent to the Bob Carpenter Center and Delaware Stadium.
From Central Check-in to Your Assigned Building:
Utilize the Move-in Map to find the best route from central check-in to your assigned building. Once you arrive at your building, utilize the drop-and-go lanes to unload your vehicle. Then move your vehicle to a designated parking spot nearby (also indicated on the map).
Residence Life & Housing is part of the Division of Student Life, which contributes and facilitates critical learning and development within healthy, inclusive and supportive communities, so that all students may thrive at UD and beyond.