Fact Sheets And Publications
- Scientific Name: Lycopersicon lycopersicum
- Family: Solanaceae
- Warm season
- Planting Window:
- Start seeds indoors, under lights in mid-March 8 weeks prior to transplanting around mid-May
- pH = 5.5-7.5
- Spacing: one plant will fit in a 5-gallon container
- Check moisture frequently to make sure plant does not dry out
- Work one trowel-full of 4-6-6 fertilizer into hole before transplanting
- Tip: support plants with cages to keep them upright!
Pests and diseases
- Hornworm - inspect leaves and plant umbellifereae herbs
- Mulch with plastic layer or grass clippings to prevent splash when watering
- Disease-resistant cultivars can be planted as well!
- Patio F Hybrid (70 days)
- Bush Champion II Hybrid (65 days)
- Bush Early Girl Hybrid (65 days)
This publication was created by Master Gardener Rick Judd and designed by Extension Scholar Taylor Trent. Photos courtesy of Rick Judd.
UD Cooperative Extension
This institution is an equal opportunity provider.
In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, Cooperative Extension is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability.