Beginning Farmer Program
About this program
The Delaware Beginning Farmer Program is for new and beginner farmers working in small-scale vegetable and/or fruit production. Through hands-on training, demonstrations, workshops, field trips and farm tours, as well as self-study, growers will spend an entire season learning and growing with Delaware Cooperative Extension, and other invited agriculture industry professionals.
Although not limited to the following topics, this training will explore the fundamentals of soil fertility and health, basic crop production, integrated pest management, food safety, and business planning and development.
This training will also provide an excellent networking opportunity. Sessions are covered by one affordable registration fee of $75. Sessions are held at the University of Delaware Cooperative Extension office and Fischer Greenhouse on the University of Delaware campus.
An updated scheduled for the 2022 fall program will be available soon.
Sessions are covered by one affordable registration fee of $75. Sessions are held at Fischer Greenhouse on the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources' campus in Newark, unless otherwise noted.
- Wednesday, September 14, 6-8 pm, Course Orientation, Soil Health
- Wednesday, September 28, 6-8 pm, Variety Selection
- Saturday, October 1, 9-11 am, Hands- On Planting, Setting up an Indoor Seed Starter Unit
- Wednesday, October 12, 6-8 pm, Small Farm Business Planning
- Saturday, October 15, 9-11 am, Field Trip to Against the Grain Farm at William Penn Farm
- Wednesday, October 26, 6-8 pm, Weed Identification and Management, Small Scale Irrigation
- Wednesday, November 2, 6-8 pm, Integrated Pest Management: Insect and Disease Pests
- Saturday, November 12, 9-11 am, Field Trip to Worrilow Hall Labs, UD Fresh to You
- Wednesday, November 16, 6-8 pm, Delaware Beginning Farmer Resource Panel with DDA, NRCS, Farm Bureau and others
- Delaware Commercial Vegetable Production Recommendations
- Vegetable Crop Budgets
- Additional resources will be available on UD Canvas for the 2020 Beginning Farmer Training Class.