Extension Scholar Program
Extension Scholar Program
"Because of my time [as an Extension Scholar], I discovered a passion and love for education and extension work. I hope to graduate with my Ph.D. this upcoming spring and pursue a career in teaching and Cooperative Extension."
Video: Extension Scholars: A summer of experiential learning: youtube.com/watch?v=RuSzXJ9EEZE
What is an Extension Scholar?
Our Extension Scholars program offers UD students a unique, hands-on 10-week summer experiential learning environment under the guidance of extension agents or specialists.
During this summer internship, students will follow Cooperative Extension's service learning model, implemented through one of extension's four program areas: 4-H youth development, family and consumer sciences, lawn and garden, and agriculture and natural resources.
Any current undergraduate, in the summer following freshmen year and beyond, or graduate students at UD are eligible to participate and opportunities are available in New Castle, Kent and Sussex counties.
While this program does provide a stipend for participants, interns will be expected to provide their own transportation, and mileage to and from work is at the intern’s expense.
Become a 2024 Extension Scholar
Applications for the Extension Scholar program usually open during winter session each year for summer employment. In the meantime, you can review the previous summer's program details and position descriptions below.
Engaging with the community is fulfilling work. It makes us better researchers and better teachers. And being able to share this passion with students so that they grow to be engaged with their communities as well… that’s a wonderful story for the University to tell.associate dean of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources and director of the University’s Cooperative Extension
Current undergraduate or graduate students at the University of Delaware.
The Extension Scholars program is designed to follow the service-learning model whereby scholars will have an opportunity to become fully engaged in organizational service experiences that:
- Are integrated into the academic curriculum
- Meet the needs of a community
- Provide structured time for reflection
- Help to foster civic responsibility
Extension Scholars expand their knowledge and participate in the delivery of Extension programming. Scholars have the opportunity to develop leadership and interpersonal skills, to learn about careers in Extension, and to apply knowledge gained through university coursework.
Summer scholar experiential learning may include designing and delivering educational programs; evaluating program impacts in the community; assisting with communications and digital media; working with volunteers; fostering partnerships; pursuing funding; and more!
Cooperative Extension Offices:
- New Castle County Extension, Newark DE
- Kent County Extension, Dover, DE
- Sussex County Extension, Georgetown, DE
- The Summer Scholar Program is a full-time 10-week session: June through August
- The program commences on June with a required Orientation.
- Scholars participate in the Service-Learning Symposium held the last week of the session which requires a poster or oral presentation
- Scholars are required to provide their own transportation.
Application Process and Deadlines:
- February: Online applications due.
- February/March: Selection committee will conduct personal interviews.
- March: Awarded Scholars will be notified via email.
As of 2023, Summer Scholars receive a student stipend in the amount of $4,500.