Fact Sheets And Publications
- Lactuca saliva, Lettuce
- Asteraceae family
- Sunlight: full sun but can tolerate some shade, especially in the summer.
- Soil conditions: moist, well-drained soil.
- Butterhead, Crisphead, Romaine, Looseleaf (pictured here) varieties.
- Buttercrunch (28 days baby: 46 days full size) 6" rosette, fan-shaped, Dark green leaves, compact heart, yellow color. Butterhead type.
- Vivian (70 days) Large heads, 16" long, 6" across. Classic romaine flavor. Romaine type.
- Gourmet Blend ( 45-50 days) Colorful mix, red to green. Looseleaf type.
- Iceberg (85 days) Light green outer leaves, crisp white inner leaves. Crisphead type.
Common pests and diseases
- Downy Mildew
- Grey Mold
This publication was created by Master Gardeners Rick Judd and Gail Hermenau. Photos courtesy of Gail Hermenau.
UD Cooperative Extension
This institution is an equal opportunity provider.
In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, Cooperative Extension is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability.