Fact Sheets And Publications
Find out how YOU can get involved!
Hands-on experiential learning for UD undergrads!
Read our latest accomplishments!
Browse available resources.
Submit a sample today.
Analyses to help manage your land.
Chat with a DE Master Gardener.
You have questions. We have answers!
Contact UD Extension staff.
Protect your family, friends and community.
- Scientific Name: Solanum melongena
- Family: Solanaceae
- Warm season
- Planting Window:
- Start seeds under lights indoors in mid-March for transplanting
- pH = 5.5-6.5
- MPD: 12 inches (in both directions)
- If using containers, one plant can fit in a 5 gallon bucket, or two plants in an 18 gallon tote bin!
- Tip: work in one trowel-full of 4-6-6 fertilizer into hole before transplanting!
Pest and Diseases
- Flea beetles can occur when plants are small, use row covers until plant is large enough to resist significant damage
- Remove when plant begins to flower
- Black Beauty (74 days)
- Ophelia hybrid (55 days)
UD Cooperative Extension
This institution is an equal opportunity provider.
In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, Cooperative Extension is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability.