Fact Sheets And Publications
- Beta vulgaris, Beets
- Amaranthaceae family
- Sunlight: full sun.
- Soil conditions: fertile, evenly moist soil, free of rocks.
- Beets need cool temperatures to germinate and grow.
- Zeppo (50 days) Smooth skin, round shape.
- Bulls Blood (35 days baby leaf) (58 days roots) Deep burgundy leaves. Attractive deep red roots with striped zoning when sliced.
- Touhtone Gold (55 days) Striking gold color, retains color when cooked.
Common pests and diseases
- Leaf miners
- Flea beetles
- Leaf hoppers
- Leaf Spot
This publication was created by Master Gardeners Rick Judd and Gail Hermenau. Photos courtesy of Gail Hermenau.
UD Cooperative Extension
This institution is an equal opportunity provider.
In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, Cooperative Extension is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability.