Fact Sheets And Publications
Find out how YOU can get involved!
Hands-on experiential learning for UD undergrads!
Read our latest accomplishments!
Browse available resources.
Submit a sample today.
Analyses to help manage your land.
Chat with a DE Master Gardener.
You have questions. We have answers!
Contact UD Extension staff.
Protect your family, friends and community.
- Ocimum basilicum, Basil
- Lamiaceae family
- Sunlight: Full sun.
- Soil conditions: well-drained soil, high in organic matter.
- Grows well in a container.
- Genovese (68 days) Classic Italian variety. Large dark green leaves.
- Sweet Thai (64 days) Long green leaves, attractive purple stems and flowers. Spicy flavor.
- Amethyst (74 days) Large turned-down leaves, nearly black in color. Genovese type.
Common pests and disease
- Downy Mildew
- Grey Mold
- Basil Sunburn
- Fusarium wilt
This publication was created by Master Gardeners Rick Judd and Gail Hermenau. Photos courtesy of Gail Hermenau.
UD Cooperative Extension
This institution is an equal opportunity provider.
In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, Cooperative Extension is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability.