Blue Hen 17&43 Awards
Recognizing Successful Blue Hen Ventures
The Blue Hen 17&43 Awards build on the University of Delaware’s long tradition of leadership, innovation and entrepreneurship that began when the university was founded in 1743. It honors the most promising new ventures and fastest growing companies founded or led by our students and alumni. This project is a collaboration of UD’s Horn Entrepreneurship and Alfred Lerner College of Business & Economics.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
Only businesses that operate in a manner consistent with the guiding principles of the University of Delaware are eligible for Blue Hen 17&43 Award consideration. Businesses must also meet one of the following three criteria to demonstrate Blue Hen leadership:
- Blue Hen founded: a current student, alumnus, alumnae or group must have founded the company and remained as an active member of the senior management team through the end of the company’s most recent fiscal year.
- Blue Hen owned: an alumnus, alumnae or group must have owned 50% or more of the company throughout its most recent three fiscal years (FY2018-20).
- Blue Hen led: at least one alumnus or alumnae must have served in a chief executive role (for example, chairman, CEO, president or managing partner) throughout its three most recent fiscal years (FY2018-20).
Information collected on the application form is for award selection criteria only.
Most Promising Ventures
A panel comprised of UD Horn Entrepreneurship and Lerner College personnel, accomplished entrepreneurs and business leaders will rate each applicant venture’s impact potential by assessing the venture’s innovativeness, milestone accomplishment, current and future revenues, job creation and social impact – and new this year – how successfully the venture has responded/adapted to the coronavirus pandemic. Ventures will then be ranked from highest to lowest, and up to the top 17 will be selected for award recognition.
Additional eligibility criteria for recognition as a member of the Blue Hen Most Promising Ventures include:
- Company must have been formally established after January 1, 2016.
- Company must be able to document its potential through some combination of: business innovation & milestones accomplished, capital raised and revenues (or revenue potential).
Fastest Growing Companies
For each applicant company, Horn Entrepreneurship and Lerner College personnel will calculate the compounded annual growth rate based on revenues for the three most recent fiscal years. Companies will then be ranked from highest to lowest, and up to the top 43 will be selected for award recognition.
Additional eligibility criteria for recognition as a member of the Blue Hen 43 Fastest-Growing Companies include:
- Company must have been formally established on or before January 1, 2016.
- Company must have verifiable total revenues of $1,000,000 or more for their three most recent fiscal years.
April 15, 2021
Application opens (based on FY2018-20)
July 9, 2021
Blue Hen 17&43 Awards Celebration
Recognition and Award Dinner
All Blue Hen leaders whose companies are recognized as 17&43 Award recipients will be recognized at the awards celebration on October 2021.