Recognizing successful Blue Hen ventures
The Blue Hen 17&43 Awards build on the University of Delaware’s long tradition of leadership, innovation and entrepreneurship by honoring the 17 most promising new ventures and 43 fastest growing companies founded, owned or led by our students and alumni. This project is a collaboration of UD’s Horn Entrepreneurship and Alfred Lerner College of Business & Economics.
|January 1, 2018||Begin accepting nominations based on FY2015-17|
|June 30, 2018||Nomination deadline|
|October 26, 2018||Invitation-only award dinner|
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
Only businesses that operate in a manner consistent with the guiding principles of the University of Delaware are eligible for Blue Hen 17&43 Award consideration. Businesses must also meet one of the following three criteria to demonstrate Blue Hen leadership:
- Blue Hen founded: a current student, alumnus, alumnae or group must have founded the company and remained as an active member of the senior management team through the end of the company’s most recent fiscal year.
- Blue Hen owned: an alumnus, alumnae or group must have owned 50% or more of the company throughout its most recent three fiscal years (FY2015-17).
- Blue Hen led: at least one alumnus or alumnae must have served in a chief executive role (for example, chairman, CEO, president or managing partner) throughout its three most recent fiscal years (FY2015-17).
Information collected on the application form is for award selection criteria only.
17 Most Promising Ventures
A panel comprised of UD Horn Entrepreneurship and Lerner College personnel, accomplished entrepreneurs and business leaders will rate each nominated venture’s impact potential by assessing the venture’s innovativeness, milestone accomplishment, current and future revenues, job creation and social impact. Ventures will then be ranked from highest to lowest, and the top 17 will be selected for award recognition.
Additional eligibility criteria for recognition as a member of the inaugural Blue Hen 17 Most Promising Ventures include:
- Company must have been formally established after January 1, 2013.
- Company must be able to document its potential through some combination of: business innovation & milestones accomplished, capital raised and revenues (or revenue potential).
43 Fastest Growing Companies
For each nominated company, Horn Entrepreneurship and Lerner College personnel will calculate the compounded annual growth rate based on revenues for the three most recent fiscal years. Companies will then be ranked from highest to lowest, and the top 43 will be selected for award recognition.
Additional eligibility criteria for recognition as a member of the inaugural Blue Hen 43 Fastest-Growing Companies include:
- Company must have been formally established on or before January 1, 2013.
- Company must have verifiable total revenues of $1,000,000 or more for their most recent fiscal year.
Recognition and Award Dinner
All Blue Hen leaders whose companies are recognized as 17&43 Award recipients will be honored at an invitation-only award dinner scheduled for Homecoming Weekend 2018.