Design Your Success™
Design Your Success™
Be prepared to adapt, thrive and lead in any context
What if you were the person who knew what you wanted, took initiative, and articulated a vision others desired to follow?
Developing your capacities for leadership and creativity can transform your professional journey from an aimless search for a ladder to climb into a purposeful quest to craft a new ladder and occupy its top rung. Design Your Success™ was developed to help you identify what matters most to you and unlock your full potential as an innovative leader.
Design Your Success™ is a guided, self-discovery gap year program that provides fuel for your advancement as a student, a person, and a leader in any field.
About Design Your Success™
Through an integrated focus on individual leadership, interest discovery and personal creativity development, Design Your Success™ participants gain valuable experiences and begin to develop the mindsets and skillsets needed to adapt, thrive and lead in any professional setting. Regardless of whether you’re a recent high school graduate or a current university student who is taking a break from fulltime studies, Design Your Success™ will help you to identify and enhance your unique value and best self as both a leader and an innovator.
Design Your Success™ is a two-part program:
Part I. Discovering Individual Leadership & the Growth Mindset (Sept. 14 – Dec. 18, 2020)
Part II. Developing Creativity, Design Thinking & the Entrepreneurial Mindset (Feb. 1 – May 7, 2021)
Design Your Success™ is project of the Siegfried Initiative for Entrepreneurial Leadership, which aims to exponentially improve personal and societal wellbeing through the delivery of transformative and empowering leadership education offerings. Design Your Success™ is powered by Horn Entrepreneurship - the University of Delaware’s nationally recognized creative engine for entrepreneurship education and advancement.
Specific outcomes you can expect from participating in Design Your Success™ include:
- Acquire a rich understanding of leadership by undertaking a personal leadership journey of self-discovery and capacity-building that includes recognizing your best-fit leadership.
- Engage the wisdom and stories of experienced leaders and innovators to craft your story and build your personal and professional network.
- Learn valuable skills and begin building the mental habits of a creative thinker and entrepreneurial innovator.
- Gain first-hand experience as an innovative leader through the completion of two hands-on projects that are aligned with your interests.
Design Your Success™ utilizes a multi-dimensional program model that includes:
- Multi-format learning – a combination of discussion, workshop and project-based learning with opportunities for networking and personalized, individual coaching sessions.
- Structured flexibility – programming is delivered on a consistent weekly schedule with flexible session times that won’t interfere with opportunities for paid employment or volunteer work (a total workload of 10-15 hours per week should be expected).
- Diverse perspectives – Participants engage with a diverse program faculty consisting of academic, business and community leaders who serve as discussion leaders, workshop hosts and leadership coaches; faculty expertise and experiences are supplemented through the active engagement of more than 50 roundtable presenters and project mentors.
NOTE: During the COVID-19 pandemic, all Design Your Success™ programming, including 1:1 coaching sessions, will be offered remotely through digital media.
Part I. Discovering Individual Leadership & the Growth Mindset (14 weeks, September 14 – December 18)
Every field benefits from good leadership, and leading others begins with the systematic and habitual process of leading yourself. Part I of Design Your Success™ provides a jumpstart in preparing you to adapt, thrive and lead in any context by focusing on the development of mindsets, habits and capabilities needed to continuously improve your life and the lives of those you care about.
Specific outcomes you can expect to realize from Part I include:
- Immersion in explorative, reflective, and professional activities that will launch your life-long leadership journey.
- Gain a rich understanding of how leadership intersects with your areas of interest.
- Identify and develop personal characteristics and capacities that enhance leadership.
- Amplify your sense of individual accountability, responsibility, freedom and self- determination.
- Articulate your life goals and a personal definition of success; and recognize growth and accomplishment as long-term, lifetime pursuits.
- Benefit by learning from the wisdom and experiences of others, and begin building your personal network of meaningful professional relationships.
Part I of the 2020-21 offering of Design Your Success™ will include these programming elements:
- Discussions & Reflections: Foundational leadership topics will be highlighted in a series of interactive discussions and reflections. Topics include: Defining and distinguishing leaders & leadership, misconceptions of leadership, identifying worlds of leadership, designing your leadership and best fit, developing CORE leadership capacities, self-assessments that identify a wide range of leadership attributes, applying your leadership strengths, and building the habits & mindsets for success, especially the growth mindset.
- My Leadership Design: This series of activities will provide an opportunity to get a jump start on your leadership journey – to understand things about yourself as a person and leader that will position you for success. Each activity in the My Leadership Design series will help you learn about you, resulting in a more mindful approach to future challenges.
- LeaderTips Market of Great Advice: You will engage in an in-depth exploration of a topic of leadership success – a core capacity, application, skill, mindset or habit – such as integrity, optimism, resilience, vulnerability, identifying and facilitating a process, finding and establishing shared vision, leading “up” (the hierarchy), resolving conflict, persuasion, empowerment and delegation, relationships and alliances, courage to pivot, expertise, curiosity and continual learning, ability to embrace change and finding balance and wellness.
- Skills Workshops: Participants will learn a variety of practical leadership skills through a series of workshops focused on: developing a growth mindset, mindfulness and EQ (emotional intelligence), goal setting, time management, stress management & self care, establishing your personal brand, professional communication and utilizing LinkedIn for virtual networking.
- Make a Difference Project: Go Do Some Leadership - Leading & Initiating Action. Design Your Success™ participants will complete an Initiate Action project. To complete the project, you will choose a context and/or organization that you feel passionate about and utilize your burgeoning leadership skills to bring people together to take action to initiate and facilitate positive change. Your take action project can be big or small, episodic or on-going.
- Coaching sessions: You will participate in a series of up to five very small group and 1-on-1 sessions with an accomplished professional to share challenges, applications, and insights from your participation in Design Your Success™ programming. Coaches will particularly focus on you and your best fit leadership as you work through My Leadership Design activities.
- Insights from the Journey: Leaders from a wide variety of backgrounds will share their experiences and lessons learned from practice in an interactive roundtable format. Each insights session will be limited to 10 participants and utilize an “ask me anything” format in which all participants will have an opportunity to directly engage with the presenter.
Professional Certificate: Participants who fulfill all program requirements for Design Your Success™: Discovering Individual Leadership & the Growth Mindset will earn a professional certificate in leadership from the University of Delaware.
Part II. Developing Creativity, Design Thinking & the Entrepreneurial Mindset (14 weeks, February 1 – May 7)
As a leader, individuals look to you for guidance, assurance and solid decision making. They also look to you to solve complex problems and develop creative, innovative and successful solutions. Part II of Design Your Success™ continues to prepare you to adapt, thrive and lead by focusing on the development of creative problem-solving abilities needed to make a real difference in any context.
Specific outcomes you can expect to realize from Part II include:
- Gain an understanding of the creative process and first-hand experience in working through it.
- Acquire the tools and habits of creative & entrepreneurial thinkers.
- Utilize design thinking to develop novel solutions to real problems.
- Become sensitized to the abundance of opportunities that exist all around you and understand how to successfully pursue them by following an evidence-based process.
- Continue to benefit from the wisdom and experiences of others while building your personal network of meaningful professional relationships.
Part II of the 2020-21 offering of Design Your Success™ will include these programming elements.
- Discussions & Reflections: Foundational topics in creativity and design thinking will be highlighted in a series of interactive discussions and reflections. Topics include: What is creativity and why is it critical to all fields, developing creative thinking habits, creativity tools & techniques, processes for innovation, the power of design thinking for great solutions (and professional success) and prototyping.
- Creativity Explorations & Design Sprint Activities: You will engage in a variety of real-world creative design challenges that highlight various topics and allow for skill-building and practice. These various experiential challenges may be Individual or collaborative, and may require that you assume a leadership role.
- Skills Workshops: Participants will learn a variety of skills pertinent to innovation and entrepreneurship through a series of workshops focused on: developing an entrepreneurial mindset, effectual thinking, opportunity-finding and finding problems to solve, interviewing for understanding, customer discovery research, value proposition design and giving a persuasive pitch to gain buy in.
- Make a Difference Project: Innovative Solution Project. Design Your Success™ participants are required to complete an Innovative Solution Project. To complete this project, you will engage in opportunity and problem-finding, choose a problem that you feel passionate about solving, and then apply the design thinking process to understand the problem, imagine possible solutions, develop an initial prototype, gather feedback on the prototype and iterate your design based on feedback. Your resulting solution will be a new program, project, policy, procedure, process or product that has the potential to create and deliver unique value.
- Coaching sessions: You will participate in a series of up to five very small group and 1-on-1 sessions with an accomplished innovator to share challenges, applications, and insights from the discussions and workshops. Coaches will particularly focus on helping you to develop an entrepreneurial mindset and guiding you through the process of completing your Innovative Solution Project.
- Insights from the Journey: Accomplished innovators from a wide variety of backgrounds will share their experiences and lessons learned from practice in an interactive roundtable format. Each insights session will be limited to a maximum of 10 participants and utilize an “ask me anything” format in which all participants will have an opportunity to directly engage with the presenter.
Professional Certificate: Participants who fulfill all program requirements for Design Your Success™: Developing Creativity, Design Thinking & the Entrepreneurial Mindset will earn a professional certificate in creativity and innovation from the University of Delaware.
Full year and half-year year (one part) program options are available. The full year, all-inclusive program fee is $4,950 (payable as a Part I fee of $2,725 and a discounted Part II fee of $2,225). This fee includes all costs associated with participation in Design Your Success™ and the opportunity to earn two professional certificates from the University of Delaware.
The half-year (one part) program fee is $2,725 and includes all associated program costs, including the opportunity to earn a professional certificate from the University of Delaware.
Limited financial assistance may be available to those for whom participation would otherwise not be possible. All requests for assistance must be noted on the application at the time of submission.
All high school graduates who have been accepted for admission into a two- or four-year institution of higher education (a college or university) within the last calendar year are eligible to participate in Design Your Success™. Matriculated undergraduate students who are taking a break from full-time studies are also eligible to participate. Space is limited to ensure our ability to deliver an exceptional learning experience to all participants. Offers of acceptance into the program will be made on a first-come, first-served basis, so apply now to reserve your spot.
Application and Registration Deadlines
Full year and Part I: Discovering Individual Leadership & the Growth Mindset only:
September 1, 2020
September 4, 2020
Registration & payment deadline
Part II: Developing Creativity, Design Thinking & the Entrepreneurial Mindset only:
January 12, 2021
January 15, 2021
Registration & payment deadline