International Admissions Requirements

Applying to the University of Delaware


Our professional staff understands how to evaluate academic achievements, transcripts and test scores from all over the world. That’s part of what makes applying to UD so easy. A friendly and knowledgeable staff and an application process that is straight forward.


Simply submit your application using the UD Online Application and complete the checklist below. We release admission decisions on a rolling basis, which means the sooner you apply, the sooner you’ll know whether the University of Delaware could be part of your future.


Application Process

Please complete the following to be considered for undergraduate admission

1. Complete the UD Online Application for the University of Delaware and submit the $75 application fee.

2. Send official transcripts/examination results* for all secondary and post-secondary work to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

3. Send your English-proficiency test scores. See the list of accepted tests here.**

4. Provide a letter of recommendation from a teacher or academic advisor. Letters must be sent directly from the recommender to our office.

*Applicants who are attending or who have previously attended an international college/university must provide a credential evaluation from International Education Research Foundation (IERF)—WES evaluations are no longer accepted.
**To verify scores, students may send a copy, screenshot or photo of the full test score page or report. If submitting from Duolingo,  students must submit their scores through the Duolingo Testing Service to the University of Delaware.

Application Timeline

The University of Delaware has a flexible admission process for international students. The sooner you apply, the sooner you receive your decision. Once you submit a complete application you can expect to receive your decision in two weeks. 

At the University of Delaware you can apply to either the fall semester (late August through mid-December) or the spring semester (late January through late May). Most new students choose to begin in the fall semester.


  • For the fall semester, applications should be completed by March. 

  • For the spring semester, applications should be completed by November.

Submitting your application can be quick and easy. See the Application Process section above.

Click here for information on admission to the Honors College.

Click here to view the requirements for music auditions.

Click here to view the portfolio requirements for Art and Design.

We do not require a portfolio for admissions decisions. However, we know you have a creative spirit and we would love to see your work! Please feel free to upload a prepared portfolio (or link to an online portfolio) or no more than 5 artifacts/examples of your creative work that you would like to share with our design faculty.

Example submissions can include (but are not limited to):

  • Garments, accessories, illustrations, flats, styling, or a creative journal.
  • Mood boards, collages, textile designs
  • Links to blogs, vlogs, websites, YouTube channels, social media handles
  • Any other artistic or creative work such as painting, sculpture, experimental and mixed media, craftwork, or wearable art

English Proficiency


We accept the following language exams and scores for non-native English speakers:

  Direct Admission Academic Transitions Pathway Intensive English (pre-pathway)
TOEFL iBT and TOEFL iBT Paper Edition (school code: 5811) 79* iBT, 550 PBT, 233 CBT 65-78 below 65
TOEFL Essentials 8* Below 8  
IELTS*** 6.5 5.5-6.0 5.0 or below
Cambridge English Assessment B2 First/171    
Duolingo English Test (DET)
110+ 95-109  
Grade 1 Pass or Pre-1 Pass (CEFR C1 or CEFR B2)
Grade 2 Pass (CEFR B1)  
PTE Academic 53* 52 or Below  


You can also demonstrate English proficiency by achieving:

SAT EBRW (school code: 5811) 550
ACT English section 24
GCE/GCSE/IGCSE or O-Levels official scores** C or higher (6-9) English First Language
IB English Lang and Lit, SL/HL
Three years or more in non-ESL English courses in U.S. accredited high schools B or higher


Students impacted by the coronavirus (COVID-19): In response to disruptions in testing due to coronavirus, we are temporarily accepting the following ways to show English proficiency.

  Direct Admission Academic Transitions Pathway Intensive English (pre-pathway)
TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition 79* 65-78 below 65
IELTS Indicator*** 6.5 5.5-6.0 below 5.5
GaoKao English 125+*/150; 105/120 105-124/150 below 105/150
South Korea CSAT English Language 1* 2 3
*Accelerate-U Delaware program
**Cambridge, Oxford, AQA, Pearson Edexcel score reports accepted
***Students may choose to send a copy of their score report to and we will verify your scores.


Conditional Admission

Applying for conditional admission is easy. When completing your application, please select Academic Transitions (AT) at UD’s English Language Institute.

Conditional admission applicants can apply for any of our 150+ majors (except nursing). Upon successful completion of either conditional admission program, students transition to full-time undergraduate study.

TOEFL or IELTS scores are not required to apply for conditional admission (although a minimum 65 TOEFL or 5.5 IELTS is suggested).

Accelerate-U Delaware (A-UD)

UD has revised its minimum TOEFL requirement to 79. 

Students scoring in the 79-89 range are directly admitted to the University of Delaware and begin their undergraduate studies in the Accelerate-U Delaware (A-UD) program. A-UD is not a conditional admission or a pathway program. It is a first-semester program with an enhanced curriculum.

Students in A-UD will benefit from: 

  • specialized instruction with university professors who have been trained to work with international students 

  • small class sizes for individualized help and teaching 

  • additional class time for discussion, explanation and test review 

The academic and language support in A-UD is designed to help students build a strong foundation for continued success. It’s intended to help students with their initial transition and does not extend beyond the first semester. There are no special exit requirements.

A-UD will not add any time to your degree, nor will it add any cost. It's a support service included in the regular cost of tuition. Students take a full semester course load of 13-14 credits.

For more information about Accelerate-U Delaware, please visit

Transferring Credit: Previous College Work, AP, IB and More

UD awards test credit for some secondary and post-secondary examinations and education programs. Official AP or IB test scores must be submitted to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions in order to be considered in your admissions evaluation and to receive credit upon enrollment.

Test Credit Information

Be sure to review the requirements by major. If you plan to transfer to business or engineering majors, submit a credential evaluation with your application for any coursework completed at institutions outside the U.S.A.

Frequently Asked Questions

Am I considered an international student?

If you are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the United States you will be considered an international student. U.S. citizens with dual citizenship are not considered international students.


Is tuition more expensive for international students?

Only residents of Delaware receive discounted tuition. International students pay the same tuition costs as U.S. citizens who are not residents of the state of Delaware.


Will my application be considered differently depending on whether I attend high school in the U.S. or internationally?

There is no preferential treatment. Every application is read individually and measured based on the opportunities and curriculum offered at your school and in your country.


What happens if I apply late? Can I apply for an extension to the application deadline?

There is no official application deadline for international students. As long as sufficient time remains for the visa application and approval process, applications will be accepted from international students. There are benefits, however, to applying early. Certain academic programs do become full sooner than others, and admission is only granted if space remains available. Similarly, scholarship funding is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis and funding may not remain for late applicants. 


What standardized test scores will I need to submit to UD?

English proficiency exams such as TOEFL or IELTS are required. (Either exam satisfies the requirement; we have no preference of one over the other.) International students are not required to submit standardized test scores such as the SAT or ACT.


Which exams satisfy the English proficiency requirement?

We require a minimum of 79 on the TOEFL or 6.5 on the IELTS. Additional options for demonstrating English proficiency include:

  • an SAT exam with a score of 550 or higher on the EBRW section 

  • an ACT exam with a score of 24 or higher on the English section 

  • a C on the English A levels

  • 6 on the IB English SL test

  • three years of education in the U.S. with B’s or better in English. (ESL courses do not satisfy this requirement) 

If you meet one of these additional criteria we may waive the TOEFL/IELTS requirement.

I was admitted to University Studies instead of my selected major. What does this mean?

At the University of Delaware, we carefully evaluate each application, taking into consideration qualifications and preparation for selected majors. We may select University Studies if space no longer remains in your selected majors, or if your preparation does not meet the requirements of your selected majors. 


My student portal says I have been admitted to the Accelerate-U Delaware (A-UD) program. What does that mean?

This means you have been admitted to the University of Delaware as a student in the Accelerate-U Delaware (A-UD) program, which is designed to help new international students build a strong academic, linguistic, and cultural foundation during their first semester at UD. A-UD offers specialized support to each student, ensuring a smooth transition to college life and preparing students for success. A-UD is only offered in fall semesters.


My portal says I have been conditionally admitted and placed in Academic Transitions. What does that mean?

This means that your application has been approved for admission, though your English proficiency does not meet UD requirements. UD’s English Language Institute offers the Academic Transitions program which allows you to gain English proficiency and get a head start on your university coursework. By successfully completing the Academic Transitions program, you can begin full-time studies at UD without the need to take the TOEFL or IELTS.  For more information, visit the Academic Transitions website.


Can I apply for spring admission as an international student?

Yes. International students may apply for the spring semester (a February start), although most students choose to begin at the start of the academic year, in the fall (August.) Note: Space in engineering is quite limited in the spring semester, so we recommend a fall start for those interested in the College of Engineering, especially for international students not currently studying in the U.S.A. 


Do A-levels or IB’s give me college credit?

Yes. For information regarding test credits, please visit the registrar's website.


Can I send my documents electronically, or do I need to mail them?

You may submit electronic documents for admission consideration but we will require official sealed transcripts before you are permitted to enroll.

Documents can be sent to or you may upload them directly using the student portal, My Blue Hen Home. Log in and select the required document type (a Word document, PDF, or scanned image) and upload.

Please note: All credentials submitted in support of the application become the property of the University of Delaware and are not returnable. For this reason, we ask that you do not mail original documents to our office. Attested copies of certificates can be mailed by your institution to our office, or original documents can be presented to our office to be witnessed, photocopied and returned to you.

I have been admitted and would like to change my major. Can I do so?

Log in to your student portal, My Blue Hen Home, and complete the form called Change My Major. Submit the form and an admissions representative will approve or deny the change.


I have questions about payment. Where can I find help?

Contact Student Financial Services at


Can I apply after completing my IGCSE?

We require a minimum of IGCSE plus AS Levels.

Who should I contact with visa questions?

The Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) handles visa questions. Please browse their pre-arrival website for detailed information or contact


How and when do I get my I-20?

After you are admitted, your portal will be updated with an Admissions Decision Reply form. Complete this form and submit your $500 enrollment deposit. Then your portal will update with an I-20 Request Form. Complete the form and submit the requested documents. 

Once the I-20 Request Form is submitted, OISS will review it as soon as possible and contact you if additional information is required. Please note, the I-20 cannot be processed until all supporting documents are received, completed—this includes  bank statements, the Affidavit of Support form, etc.. Once all information is submitted, please allow approximately 5-10 business days for processing. If you register for eShip through your UD student portal, you should receive emails with tracking numbers when your I-20 has shipped.  

Note: For conditionally admitted students this process will be different. Information will be sent to you via email.


What information do I need on my bank statement to show funding for the I-20 or DS-2019:

In order to be issued an I-20 or DS-2019, you will need to provide documentation showing funding for at least one year of study and that, barring unforeseen circumstances, adequate funding will be available for subsequent years. For more information and the minimum requirements, please see the OISS Cost of Attendance website.


Requirements for a bank statement or letter:

  • Must be printed on bank letterhead or showing bank logo 

  • Must be less than six months old at the time of the I-20 request

  • Must be in English

  • Must show the full name of the account owner in English

  • Must show the account type 

  • Must show currency type (example: USD, CNY, EUR)

  • Must show the current balance of liquid funds in the account(s) 

Screenshots of online banking pages are discouraged, as they often omit some of the required information.

A completed official UD Affidavit of Support form must be included if the bank statement is coming from a member of your family or from a sponsor. The form must include the relationship between student and sponsor and the handwritten signatures and printed names in the appropriate spaces.


Does my visa permit me to work while I am in the US?

On an F-1 student visa, international students are allowed to work part-time (maximum 20 hours per week). During breaks, and when not enrolled in classes, international students may work full-time or 40 hours per week (summer and winter semesters being examples).  Employment is restricted to on-campus jobs. These opportunities to work can help international students earn an additional $7-10k to help pay expenses. 

If you receive a paid internship off-campus, you may be eligible to apply for Curricular Practical Training (CPT), a temporary employment authorization. 

After completing your degree students are eligible to work full-time in a paid position by applying for Optional Practical Training (OPT). 

Always check with OISS before accepting any position, even if it is unpaid or “volunteer.” For more information on employment, please see the OISS employment page.  For questions about please contact

If I’m currently attending college and want to transfer to UD, can I do so after one semester?

Yes, you can apply as a transfer student. Submit your college transcripts or proof of courses you are taking, along with your official, final high school transcripts. 


What documents do I need to submit to have my credits transfer?

At a minimum, you will need to provide an official or attested copy of your transcripts in English. Applicants who are attending, or who have previously attended, an international college/university must provide a credential evaluation from International Education Research Foundation (IERF). Please visit IERF’s website for instructions (for example: how to request a Standard Application with a Detail Report, and where to mail your documents). IERF will send your credential evaluation directly to the University of Delaware. If you have a WES course-by-course evaluation completed before February 1, 2019, UD will accept this in lieu of a Detail Report from IERF. 

For complete information on how credits from institutions outside of the U.S. may be transferred, please visit the Registrar's Office page.


When is a credential evaluation necessary?

All applicants to the Lerner College of Business and Economics, or to the College of Engineering, must submit an IERF credential evaluation. This is a required component of the application process. 

Students applying to majors in all other colleges do not need to submit an IERF credential evaluation. If offered admission and you intend to enroll and transfer credit, an IERF credential evaluation will be required at that time.


Will all my courses transfer?

We cannot guarantee that all credits will transfer. After your IERF report is complete, courses that are evaluated to be level 100 or above, with a grade of C or above, will provide credit.

For more information about transferring credits, please visit the registrar's website


When will I get my completed list of transferred credits?

Once all required documents are submitted, the evaluation of your transfer credits should be completed in three weeks.


Does the credit I received by examination at my previous college or university transfer?

We cannot guarantee that credits awarded at other colleges or universities will be awarded at UD. We will examine all of your original transcripts, as well as your IERF report, and make a decision about which courses will transfer.


How many credits must I complete at UD to qualify for a degree?

You must complete at least 30 of the last 36 credits of your degree, or one full year, in order to be awarded a UD degree.