Expand Your Intellectual Horizons
The University of Delaware Honors College provides opportunities for academically talented and motivated students to take advantage of the resources of a major research institution while maintaining the feel and attention of a much smaller university.
As a UD Honors College student, you will be leading class discussions, conducting innovative research, writing papers worthy of publication and tackling some of the most challenging topics in your major and beyond.
The Many Benefits of the UD Honors College
✓ University-wide, open to all majors
✓ Small honors courses
✓ Freshman living-learning community
✓ Close connections with faculty
✓ Opportunity for research funding
✓ Register first for classes
✓ Residential peer mentors
✓ Honors advisement for complex combinations of majors and degrees
✓ Engaged honors alumni network
The UD Honors Experience
- Small, rigorous honors classes with active learning and engagement with the faculty.
- Challenging curricula.
- Preparation for competitive graduate programs and supporting students in their pursuit of Rhodes, Truman, Marshall, Fulbright and Goldwater scholarships.
- Recognition of honors coursework through the general honors award, the honors degree and the honors degree with distinction.
- Excursions to local labs, businesses and theater and music performances.
- Study abroad opportunities specifically for honors students.
- Service learning and volunteer work.
- Funded research opportunities for all majors.
- Honors Enrichment Awards to fund internships, research projects and unique student experiences.
- Alumni connections for discussions, panels, networking and mentorship.
- First-year honors living learning community
- Residential peer mentors plan events for the honors community and act as an academic resource.
- Honors community programming: ice cream on the porch, study breaks, day of service, pizza with the prof, and more.
- Collaboration between UD Honors College students, faculty and staff.
- Opportunities for honors housing as upperclassmen.
For fall 2022, you can submit your application to the University of Delaware starting August 1, 2021. You can indicate your interest in the UD Honors College by checking a box on your Common or Coalition application.
Two Ways to Apply
- Deadline to submit application: November 1
- Admission decision notification by January 31
- Honors decision notification by February 15
- Deadline to submit application: January 15
- Admission decision notification by mid-March
- Honors decision notification by early April
A management information systems major, Class of 2021, Vishva is from New Castle, Delaware. As a McNair Scholar, she has done research at UD studying why students procrastinate and how it affects their grades.
Victor Ramirez Delgado
A physics major, Class of 2021, Victor moved from Venezuela passionate about unlocking the secrets of the universe; at UD he's worked in a faculty lab analyzing data from a radio antenna pointed at Jupiter.
Class of 2020 marine science major Gretchen spent time at UD researching an enzyme important to the growth of Chattonella subsalsa, a species of algae that can cause harmful algal blooms. She plans to continue research through graduate school.
A mechanical engineering major, Class of 2019, Olivia traveled to the Philippines to restore wells and to Morocco to examine architecture. She's now off to a Ph.D. program at Columbia University.
As a music major, Class of 2021, and a World Scholar, Ryan spent much of his first two years traveling Europe, inspiring him to compare the linguistic differences of choral conductors from around the world.
A biomedical engineering major, Class of 2020, Ariel traveled to the Netherlands to explore how the same devices used for medical diagnostics can be used to examine priceless paintings.