International Admissions Requirements

Applying to the University of Delaware

At the University of Delaware, international students play an important role in academic and campus life: they spark growth in our community and encourage our global imagination. Our faculty and staff invite you to become a valued member of our community. Through the Office of International Students and Scholars, students, like you, can find guidance and advice to make your transition to UD easy. Our doors are open, welcoming you to UD.

Important Dates and Deadlines

November 1

Priority deadline for spring admission

January 15

Priority deadline for fall admissions

Apparel Design, Art & Music Applicants

Apparel Design Portfolio Deadline - Rolling


Art & Design Portfolio Deadline - January 15


Music Major Audition Deadline - January 15


Application Process

Please complete the following to be considered for undergraduate admission:

1. Complete the application for the University of Delaware and the $75 application fee.

2. Send official transcripts/examination results for all secondary and post-secondary work to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.*

*If you are transferring from an international institution, you are required to also submit your academic credentials evaluation to the World Education Services (

3. Send official test scores directly from the testing agency:

TOEFL score 90 iBT or better

IELTS score 6.5 or better

4. Provide two letters of recommendation (at least one from a school counselor).

Next Steps After Acceptance


Get Your Visa

Along with the forms that we will send you once you’ve confirmed your enrollment, you’ll need to take your passport, acceptance letter, SEVIS fee receipt, and any financial documentation to a U.S. embassy to process your visa. 


Complete Your Family Medical History

Complete the medical form prior to enrolling.


Confirm Your Medical Insurance

Medical insurance is mandatory. If you’d like to use your own medical insurance you’ll need to submit a waiver demonstrating that your policy is comparable to what UD provides. 


Get Immunized

UD’s immunization form provides the information you’ll need to understand required immunizations.


Plan Your Travel

We recommend that you fly into the Philadelphia International Airport (PHL). (Do not fly into Newark International Airport; that’s located in New Jersey, not Delaware!) You’ll need to  arrive no later than August 27 in order to attend International Student Orientation on August 28 for the Fall semester, or no later than February 4 for the Spring semester. (Please e-mail a copy of your travel arrangements to

Transferring Credit: Previous College Work, AP, IB and more

UD awards test credit for some secondary and post-secondary examinations and education programs. Official AP or IB test scores must be submitted to the Admissions Office in order to be considered in your admissions evaluation and to receive credit upon enrollment.

Test Credit Information

International Frequently Asked Questions

If you are not a passport holder or permanent resident of the United States you will be considered an international student. 

Only residents of Delaware receive discounted tuition. International students pay the same tuition cost as US citizens who are not residents of the state of Delaware.


There is no preferential treatment. Every application is read individually and measured based on the opportunities and curriculum offered at your school and in your country.

It is always best to apply before the deadline. Applications are accepted beyond the deadline but admission will only be granted if space remains available. Certain academic programs become full sooner than others. Email with questions.

International Students are not required to submit standardized test scores such as SAT or ACT. English proficiency exams such as TOEFL or IELTS are required.

We require a minimum of 90 on the TOEFL or 6.5 on the IELTS. Additional options for demonstrating english proficiency include the SAT exam with a score of 550 or higher on the EBRW section, the ACT exam with a score of 24 or higher on the English section, a C on the English A levels, 6 on the IB English SL test, or three years of education in the US with B’s or better in English. If you meet one of these additional options we will waive the TOEFL/IELTS requirement.

This means that your application has been approved for admission, with the exception of your English Proficiency. UD’s English Language Institute offers the Academic Transitions program which allows you to gain English proficiency and get a head start on your university coursework. By successfully completing the Academic Transitions program, you can begin full-time studies at UD without the need to take the TOEFL or IELTS.  For more information visit:

Yes, international students may apply for the spring semester. The deadline is November 1.

Yes, for information regarding test credits please visit the registrar's website.

You may submit electronic documents for admission consideration but we will require official, sealed transcripts before you are permitted to enroll.

Documents can be sent to or you may upload them directly using the student portal, My Blue Hen Home. Log in and select the required document type and upload a Word document, PDF, or scanned image.

Log into your student portal, My Blue Hen Home, and complete the form called “Change My Major." Submit the form and an Admissions Representative will approve or deny the change.

The Office of International Students and Scholars handles visa questions. Please browse their pre-arrival website for detailed information or contact

After you are admitted, your portal will be updated with an “Admissions Decision Reply” form. Complete this form and submit your $500 enrollment deposit. Then your portal will update with an “I-20 Request” form. Complete the form and submit the requested documents.  

Once the I-20 Request Form is submitted, OISS will review it as soon as possible and contact you if additional information is required.  Please note, the I-20 cannot be processed until all information, such as bank statements, Affidavit of Support form, etc. are complete. Once all information is complete, please allow approximately 5-10 business days for processing. If you register for eShip through your UD student portal you should receive e-mails with tracking numbers when your I-20 has shipped.  

Note: For conditionally admitted students this process will be different.


In order to be issued an I-20/DS-2019, you will need to provide documentation showing funding for at least for your first year of study and that, barring unforeseen circumstances, adequate funding will be available for subsequent years.  For more information and the minimum requirements, please see the OISS Cost of Attendance.

Requirements for a bank statement or letter:

  • Must be printed on bank letterhead or showing bank logo 
  • Must be less than six months old at the time of the I-20 request
  • Must be in English
  • Must show the full name of the account owner in English
  • Must show the account type 
  • Must show currency type e.g. USD, CNY, EUR
  • Must show the current balance of liquid funds in the account(s) 


Screenshots of online banking pages are discouraged as they often omit some of the required information.


completed official UD Affidavit of Support Form must be included if the bank statement is coming from family/sponsor funds:

  • Must include relationship between student and sponsor
  • Must include handwritten signatures and printed names in the appropriate spaces

You are allowed to work on-campus part-time for 20 or less hours per week. If you receive a paid internship off-campus, you may be eligible to apply for Curricular Practical Training (CPT). Always check with OISS before accepting any position, even if it is unpaid or “volunteer.” For more information on employment, please see the OISS Employment page.  For questions about please contact

You will apply as a transfer student, submit your college transcripts or proof of courses you are taking, along with your official final high school transcripts. 

You will need to provide an official or attested copy of your transcripts, sometimes in English and the local language. You will also need to submit a course-by-course evaluation from WES.

Yes, you will need to submit a WES course-by-course evaluation in order to receive transfer credit. See

We cannot guarantee that all credits will transfer. After your WES report is complete, courses that are evaluated to be level 100 or above and a grade of C or above will provide credit.

For more information about transferring credits, please visit the registrar's website. 

Once all required documents are submitted, the evaluation of your transfer credits should be completed in three weeks.

We cannot guarantee that credits awarded at other universities will be awarded at UD. UD will examine all of your original transcripts as well as your WES report and will make our own decision about which courses will transfer.

Submit the WES course-by-course evaluation early for a quicker decision.

You must complete a minimum of 30 of your last 36 credits of your degree, or one full year in order to be awarded a UD degree.