Transfer Students


New Beginnings, New Ideas


There are more than 1,500 transfer students at the University of Delaware. Over half are Delaware residents, others come from as far away as China. No matter where you’re transferring from, UD will transform your passion into success.


When you step onto our campus, you will find an intellectual home where our award-winning faculty are dedicated to nurturing your ideas. Whether your interests lie in the arts, sciences, business or the humanities, our students and faculty are eager to collaborate on projects that make an impact, that advance knowledge, that change the world.

Plan Your Visit

A visit to campus is the best way to see yourself as a Blue Hen. 

Join us for a special visit experience for transfer students, enjoy a walking tour with a current student, have lunch on Main Street, or just spend some time exploring our campus. Any time of year that's right for you is a great time to visit the University of Delaware!


Important Dates and Deadlines

  • Fall Application Deadline: May 1
  • Spring Application Deadline: Nov. 1

Transfer applicants are evaluated and notified by mail on a rolling basis beginning October for spring applicants, and beginning January for fall applicants. Beginning these months and once all materials are received, applicants will hear from the admissions office in about 2-4 weeks.* The admissions office will email you if you need to submit current semester final grades or other pertinent items (audition, portfolio) before an admissions decision can be made.

*Decisions for majors in the College of Engineering may take additional time since space availability needs to be determined at the end of each semester.

How to Apply 

Applicants should submit each item:

1. The 2019 online transfer application. Students who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents must submit the international admissions application. Please review the International Admissions website.

2. All college transcripts (including college courses taken while in high school).

3. An official, final high school transcript or GED certificate, and official SAT/ACT Scores if you have not completed at least 30 transferable college credits at the time of application.

The non-refundable $75 application fee may be waived for reasons of financial hardship or if you are a U.S. Military Veteran.

Unofficial college transcripts may be used for admissions purposes, but if admitted, official transcripts will be required. UD will complete a transfer evaluation of your credits once you’re admitted and after your official transcripts are received by the admissions office.

You may check the status of your application via your My Blue Hen Home student portal.

Transfer applicants may have official college transcripts mailed to University of Delaware, Office of Undergraduate Admissions, 210 S. College Avenue, Newark, DE, 19716. The admissions office also accepts electronic transcripts via

Transferable credits consist of coursework that is not remedial or zero-level and must include final grades of a traditional letter grade of A, B, C, etc., not Pass/Fail. 

Please submit an official, final high school transcript. Your SAT or ACT scores are still available in your previous file. You should also submit any official AP or IB test scores not previously sent.

Yes, you would need to submit the online transfer application. In addition, you’ll need to submit an official, final high school transcript. You will also need to submit a transcript with final fall grades from your current college or university when available.

Transfer applicants with 29 or fewer transferable credits at the time of enrollment may be considered for University Studies-Undeclared.

Only transfer applicants with 17 or fewer transfer credits at the time of enrollment may be considered for acceptance into the Honors Program. An official, final high school transcript and SAT/ACT scores are also required and will be heavily considered in the admissions decision. Limited opportunities within the University Honors Program may be available for high ability applicants with no more than 30 credits at the time of enrollment, however your high school transcript and standardized test scores must also be submitted for consideration.

Yes, if you are a Delaware resident and if you have completed 29 or fewer transferable college credits at the time of enrollment.

A letter of recommendation is optional. If you wish to submit a recommendation, one from a college instructor is preferred.

Any student who has graduated from high school and has taken any amount of college credits must apply as a transfer applicant.

If you’re still in high school and have taken college courses, you apply as a first-year applicant. 

Even if all your prior courses and final grades appear on another transcript, transfer applicants must submit all previous college transcripts. Your application will be reviewed once all transcripts are received.

Next Steps After Acceptance

The admissions office will mail you an official acceptance letter and packet of information, as well as update your admission status on your My Blue Hen Home student portal. Please review your custom portal page regularly to keep track of pertinent fall enrollment information and to complete necessary tasks to finalize your enrollment.

There is a $500 non-refundable deposit. For spring, admissions deposits are due within three weeks from the date of your admissions letter. For fall, deposits are due May 1 if admitted by April 10. After April 10, deposit payments are due within three weeks of the date of your admissions letter.

Once you’re admitted, check your My Blue Hen Home student portal and click on the “Admissions Decision Reply Form.” Payment options are available via this form.

Written requests for deposit waivers may be considered for financial reasons only. Please email

Written requests for deposit extensions may be emailed to

Admitted transfers may request a deferral for one semester. Not all deferrals are granted, but are usually granted for documented medical reasons or for military obligations. Other reasons may be considered. If granted, the student must pay the non-refundable $500 admissions deposit at the time the deferral is granted. Deferral requests may be emailed to

Transfer students are encouraged to seek options for housing as soon as they have accepted admission. On-campus housing for transfer students is not guaranteed and may not be available for the 2019-2020 academic year. The on-campus housing application for transfer students will open by early June and students will be housed if space becomes available.

The University of Delaware does not have an off-campus housing office, but encourages local property owners to list housing on The Office of the Dean of Students offers a guide to off-campus living on their website. The site has helpful tools for students as they navigate the leasing process.

Transfer Student Housing

First-semester freshmen who transfer to UD in the spring semester are required to live on campus unless their permanent residence is within 30 miles of campus. Otherwise transfers are encouraged to live on campus. Please review the Transfer Housing website for more information.

Transfer Student Housing

All new transfer students must complete the math placement before attending New Student Orientation.

UD Math Placement

Financing Your Degree

The University of Delaware considers aid for transfer students based on financial need and requires the submissions of the Free Application of Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Need-based aid for transfers is limited and may come in the form of federal grants and loans. File the FAFSA or update your existing FAFSA using UD’s school code, 001431, to be considered for all possible need-based aid. You must file a new form each year. Financial aid is only available for U.S. citizens or permanent residents. For more information, view the financial aid and scholarships section below.

New transfer students who currently attend a community college and are members of Phi Theta Kappa may be eligible for a Phi Theta Kappa scholarship. For more information on this award, view the financial aid and scholarships section below.

Transfers from four-year colleges are not eligible for to be reviewed for University scholarships until June after they have successfully completed at least one semester at UD. All UD students who have completed the FAFSA for the next academic year are reviewed for University Endowed Scholarships after final spring semester grades are finalized. For more information on these awards, view the financial aid and scholarships section below.

Undergraduate Newark Campus Rates

Semester Costs*

DE Resident


Full Time Tuition (12+ credits)



Mandatory Full Time Fees



Room & Board (Standard)



Semester Total



Academic Year Total



Indirect Costs



Total Cost of Attendance 



*Individual costs may vary based on program of study.  Students enrolled in the Lerner College of Business and Economic, the College of Engineering, and the School of Nursing will be assessed a differential charge, which helps align resources with the cost of instruction in these Colleges.

Additional information on tuition rates and fees, including part-time tuition, special sessions costs, and a breakdown of mandatory (and related) fees, can be found in the Undergraduate Catalog.

Need-Based Financial Aid

The University of Delaware considers aid for transfer students based on financial need, and this requires submission of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Need-based aid may come in the form of federal grants and loans. File the FAFSA or update your existing FAFSA using UD's school code, 001431, in order to be considered for all possible need-based aid. You must file a new FAFSA form each year to be considered for ongoing financial aid.

Fall Deadline:

  • Begin FAFSA filing: Oct. 1
  • Recommended deadline for FAFSA filing: Jan. 15

Once you submit your FAFSA using UD’s school code, Student Financial Services will notify you when your financial aid package is available on your My Blue Hen Home student portal.

Merit Scholarships

Transfer students are not eligible for merit awards except for the Phi Theta Kappa awards for students transferring from a community college. 

University-Endowed Scholarships

Each June, current students are evaluated for scholarship support for the following academic year. These University-endowed scholarships are made possible by our generous donors and some awards have specific criteria (e.g. college or major) in addition to merit and financial need. If you are selected for one of these awards, you will be notified in late June or early July. You must file the FAFSA to be considered. Some scholarships require an additional application. The number of endowed scholarships is limited and awards are typically $2,000 per year. 

Additional information on University scholarships, along with outside scholarships, can be found on the Student Financial Services website.

Phi Theta Kappa Awards

Transfer students who are currently attending a community college will be considered for scholarships valued at $2,000/year for Delaware residents, and $6,000/year for non-Delaware residents if they:

  • Are a member of Phi Theta Kappa
  • Have completed at least 30 credits (at their current community college)*
  • Continue to maintain at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA
  • Enroll directly at UD in 12+ credits each fall and spring semester
  • Maintain a 3.0 UD GPA
*It may be more financially and professionally beneficial to earn your associate's degree at your current community college before enrolling at UD. You may be able to transfer UD courses back to your previous college to earn an associate's degree.