531 S. College Avenue
044 Townsend Hall
Newark, DE 19716
Resources and links
- Curriculum Vitae (pdf)
- Google Scholar
- The Institute of Food Technologists
- International Association for Food Protection
- United State Environmental Protection Agency Endocrine Disruption
- Division of Agricultural and Food Chemistry at American Chemical Society
- B.S. 1997 Agricultural Product Processing, Zhejiang Agricultural University
- M.S. 2000 Food Science, Zhejiang University
- Ph. D. 2005 Food Technology, Clemson University
- ANFS 428/628 Food Chemistry
- ANFS 429/629 Food Analysis
My research program has focused on the characterization and application of bioactive compounds for enhancing food safety and quality and improving human health. Specifically, my efforts have focused on three areas: 1) evaluation of toxicities and endocrine disruption potential for natural bioactive compounds and newly synthesized chemicals, 2) improvement of human and animal health by bioactive compounds, and 3) enhancing food safety and quality through the novel application of antimicrobial compounds or pulsed light technology.
- Institute of Food Technologists (IFT)
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- International Association of Food Protection (IAFP)
Work in our group is, or has been, supported by the following agencies and organizations:
- Agriculture and Food Research Initiative, U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Northeast Sun Grant, U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)
- National Oceanic/Atmospheric Administration Sea Grant Program
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Center for Produce Safety
- United Soybean Board Soy Health Research Program
Referenced Journal Publications
1. Zhang, X., Levia, D.F., Ebikade, E.O., Chang, J., Vlachos, D.G., Wu., C *. (2021)
The impact of differential lignin S/G ratios on mutagenicity and chicken embryonic toxicity. Journal of Applied Toxicology. https://doi.org/10.1002/jat.4229
2. Zhang, X., Peng, Y., Wu., C *. (2021) Chicken embryonic toxicity and potential in vitro estrogenic and mutagenic activity of carvacrol and thymol in low dose/concentration.
Food & Chemical Toxicology, 150, 112038. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2021.112038
3. Peng, Y., Nicastro, K.H., Epps, III, T.H., Wu, C*. (2021) Methoxy Groups Reduced the Estrogenic Activity of Lignin-Derivable Replacements Relative to Bisphenol A and Bisphenol F through Two in vitro Assays. Food Chemistry, 338, 127656.
4. Reyes, D., Annis, S., Rivera, S., Leon-Tinoco, A., Wu, C., Perkins, L., Perry, J., Ma, Z., Knight, C., Castillo, M., Romero, J. (2020) In vitro Screening of Technical Lignins to Determine Their Potential as Hay Preservatives. Journal of Dairy Science, 7, 6114-6134
5. Ebikade, E., Athaley, A., Fisher, B., Yang, K., Wu, C., Ierapetritou, M. G., Vlachos, D. G. The Future Is Garbage: Repurposing of Food Waste to an Integrated Biorefinery (2020). ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, 8, 22, 8124–8136.
6. Peng, Y., Wang, J., Wu, C*. (2019). Determination of Endocrine Disruption Potential of Bisphenol A Alternatives in Food Contact Materials Using In Vitro Assays: State of the Art and Future Challenges. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 67, 12613-12625.
7. Peng, Y., Nicastro, K.H., Epps, III, T.H., Wu, C*. (2018) Evaluation of Estrogenic Activity of Novel Bisphenol A Alternatives, Four Bioinspired Bisguaiacol F Specimens, by in Vitro Assays. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 66, 11775-11783.
8. Shao, L., Chen, H., Hicks, D., Wu, C*. (2018) Thermal Inactivation of Human Norovirus Surrogates in Oyster Homogenate. International Journal of Food Microbiology, 281, 47-53.
9. Guo, M., Jin, T., Nghiem, N.P. Fan, X., Qi, P., Jang, C., Shao, L., Wu, C*. (2017) Assessment of Antioxidant and Antimicrobial Properties of Lignin from Corn Stover Residue Pretreated with Low-Moisture Anhydrous Ammonia and Enzymatic Hydrolysis Process. Applied Biochemistry Biotechnology, 184, 350-365
10. Xu, W., Wu, C*. (2016) The Impact of Pulsed Light on Decontamination, Quality, and Bacterial Attachment of Fresh Raspberries. Food Microbiology, 57, 135-143
11. Xu, W., Chen, H., Wu, C*. (2016). Salmonella and Escherichia coli O157:H7 Inactivation, Color, and Bioactive Compounds Enhancement on Raspberries during Frozen Storage after Decontamination Using New Formula Sanitizer Washing or Pulsed Light. Journal of Food Protection, 79, 1107-1114
12. Lingham, T., Mu, Ye., Chen, H., Wu, C. Ozbay, G., (2016) Effects of High Hydrostatic Pressure on the Physical, Microbial, and Chemical Attributes of Oysters (Crassostrea virginica). Journal of Food Science, 81, M1158-66
13. Xu, W., Chen, H., Wu, C*. (2015) Application of Pulsed Light (PL)-Surfactant Combination on Inactivation of Salmonella and Apparent Quality of Green Onions. LWT - Food Science and Technology, 61, 596–601.
14. Sims-Mourtada, J., Opdenaker, L.M., Davis, J., Wu, C. (2015) Long Term, Low Dose Genistein decreases Stem Cell Populations and Sensitizes Inflammatory Breast Cancer Cell Lines to Radiation. Cancer Studies and Molecular Medicine Open Journal, 2, 60-65.
15. Xu, W., Wu, C*. (2014) Decontamination of Salmonella enterica Typhimurium on Green Onions using New Formula of Sanitizer Washing and Pulsed UV light (PL). Food Research International, 62, 280-285.
16. Xu, W., Wu, C*. (2014) Different Efficiency of Ozonated Water Washing to
Inactivate Salmonella enterica Typhimurium on Green Onions, Grape Tomatoes, and Green Leaf Lettuces. Journal of Food Science,79, M378-M383.
17. Lu, Y, Joerger, R., Wu, C*. (2014). Similar Reduction of Salmonella enterica Typhimurium on Grape Tomatoes and its Cross-contamination in Wash Water by Washing with Natural Antimicrobials as Compared with Chlorine Treatment. Food and Bioprocess Technology, 7, 661-670.
18. Dong, X., Sikes, R., Wu, C*. (2013) Combination of Low Dose of Genistein and Daidzein Has Synergistic Preventive Effects on Isogenic Human Prostate Cancer Cells when Compared with Individual Soy Isoflavone. Food Chemistry, 141, 1923-1933.
19. Lu, L., Lu, H., Wu, C., Fang, W., Yu, C., Ye, C., Shi, Y., Yu, T., Zheng, X. (2013) Rhodosporidium paludigenum Induces Resistance and Defense-related Responses against Penicillium digitatum in Citrus Fruit. Postharvest Biology and Technology, 85, 196-202.
20. Wang, Y. Landman, B., Wu, C, Gelb, J, Golovan, S. (2013). Comparison of vRNA and cRNA based Reporters for Detection of Influenza Replication. Antiviral Research, 98,
21. Xu, W., Chen, H., Huang, Y., Wu, C.*. (2013) Decontamination of Escherichia coli O157:H7 on Green Onions Using Pulsed Light (PL) and PL-Surfactant-Sanitizer Combinations. International Journal of Food Microbiology,166, 102–108.
22. Li Y, Wu, C*. (2013) Enhanced Removal of Salmonella Tyhimurium from Blueberries
by Combinations of Sodium Dodecyl Sulfate with Organic Acids or Hydrogen
Peroxide. Food Research International, 54, 1553–1559.
23. Dong, X., Xu, W., Sikes, R. A. Wu, C*. (2012) Apoptotic Effects of Cooked and in vitro Digested Soy on Human Prostate Cancer Cells. Food Chemistry, 135, 1643-52.
24. Neetoo, H., Lu, Y., Wu, C., Chen, H. (2012) Use of High Hydrostatic Pressure to Inactivate E. coli O157:H7 and Salmonella enterica Internalized within and Adhered to Pre-harvest Contaminated Green Onion. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 78, 2063-2065.
25. Lu, Y., Wu, C*. (2012). Reductions of Salmonella enterica on Chicken Breast by Thymol, Acetic Acid, Sodium Dodecyl Sulfate or Hydrogen Peroxide Combinations as Compared to Chlorine Wash. International Journal of Food Microbiology 152, 31-34.
26. Lu, Y., Joerger, R., Wu, C*. (2011). Study of the Chemical Composition and Antimicrobial Activities of Ethanolic Extracts from Roots of Scutellaria baialensis Georgi. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 59, 10934–10942.
27. Lu, Y., Turley, A., Dong, X., Wu, C*. (2011). Reduction of Salmonella enterica on Grape Tomatoes using Microwave Heating. International Journal of Food Microbiology 145,
28. Dong, X., Dong, M., Turley, A., Lu, Y., Jin, T., Wu, C*. (2011). Antimicrobial and Antioxidant Activities of Lignin from Residue of Corn Stover to Ethanol Production. Industrial Crops & Products. 34, 1629-1634.
29. Lu, Y., Wu, C*. (2010). Reduction of Salmonella enterica Contamination on Grape Tomatoes by Washing with Thyme oil, Thymol, and Carvacrol as compared with Chlorine Treatment. Journal of Food Protection, 73, 2270-2275.
30. Hoffman-Pennesi, D., Wu, C*. (2010). The Effect of Thymol and Thyme Oil Feed Supplementation on Growth Performance, Serum Antioxidant Levels, and Cecal Salmonella Population in Broilers. Journal of Applied Poultry Research, 19, 432-443.
31. Wu, C., Duckett, S., Neel, P. S., Fontenot, J. P., Clapam, W.M. (2008). Influence of Finishing Systems on Hydrophilic and Lipophilic Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity (ORAC) in Beef. Meat Science, 80, 662-667.
32. Li, X., He Y., Wu, C. (2008) Least Square Support Vector Machine Analysis for the Classification of Paddy Seeds by Harvest Year. Information & Electrical
Technologies Division of ASABE, 51, 1793-1799.
33. Shao, Y., He, Y., Wu, C. (2008). Dose Detection of Radiated Rice by Infrared Spectroscopy and Chemometrics. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 56, 3960-3965.
34. Li, X., He, Y., Wu, C. (2008). Non-destructive Discrimination of the Paddy Seeds of Different Storage Periods based on Vis/NIR Spectroscopy. Journal of Stored Product, 44, 264-268.
35. Wu, C., Chen, F., Wang, X., Wu, Y., Dong, M., He, G., Galyean, R., He, L., Huang, G.(2007). Identification of Antioxidant Phenolic Compounds in Feverfew (Tanacetum parthenium) by HPLC-ESI-MS/MS and NMR. Phytochemical Analysis, 18, 401-410.
36. Li, X., He, Y., Wu, C., Sun, D. (2007). Nondestructive Measurement and Fingerprint Analysis of Soluble Solid Content of Tea Soft Drink based on Vis/NIR Spectroscopy. Food Engineering, 82, 316-323.
37. Wu, C., Chen, F., Wang, X., Kim, H-J., He, G, Haley-Zitlin, V., Huang, G. (2006). Antioxidant Constituents in Feverfew (Tanacetum parthenium) Extract and Their Chromatographic Quantification. Food Chemistry, 96, 220-227.
38. Wu, C., Chen, F., Rushing, J., Wang, X., Kim, H-J., Huang, G., Haley-Zitlin, V., He, G.(2006). Antiproliferative Activities of Parthenolide and Golden Feverfew Extract against Three Human Cancer Cell Lines. Journal of Medicinal Food, 9, 55-61.