EDUCATION & HELPING PROFESSIONS
Explore potential careers and develop industry specific skills for success in the Education & Helping Professions Community. The Career Center offers individual counseling, job and internship resources, networking events, and professional development opportunities to help students succeed. Below is a quick snapshot of relevant industries, career outlook, community specific resources, and related Registered Student Organizations to help direct students along their career path in the Education & Helping Professions Community.
OCCUPATIONS & BROAD INDUSTRIES:
- Adult Education
- Coaching/Athletic Administration
- College Administration & Student Affairs
- Counseling (Mental Health; School/Guidance/Career; Marriage/Family; Substance Abuse; Rehabilitation; Crisis; Pastoral; Art/Music Therapy; etc.)
- Community Services
- Curriculum Development
- Education/School Administration
- Education Advocacy
- English as a Second Language Teaching
- Libraries/Information & Media Services
- Pre-K & K-12 Teaching (Public, Charter & Private/Independent Schools)
- School Psychology
- Social & Human Services
- School Specialists (PT; OT; Speech/Language)
- Family and Social Services/Social Work
- Student Services
- Teaching Abroad
- Vocational Education
- Youth Development
- Office of Certification and Accreditation at the University of Delaware
Contains links to certification procedures, testing requirements, informational meetings, etc.
- State Departments of Education and Certification Information
Contact information for state DOE's and steps and requirements for certification in each state.
- From Campus to Classroom
A helpful job search guide for teacher education majors
- Work Monger: a free resource to help find non-teaching jobs in Education (e.g. leadership, policy, fundraising, curriculum, finance, operations, technology, data management)
Job Search Resources/Tools by State
- Join Delaware Schools
- Kelly Educational Staffing and the Substitute Teacher Service
Two agencies that provide substitute teachers to many Delaware and Pennsylvania schools.
- Maryland State Dept. of Education (MSDE)
- Pennsylvania Department of Education
- PA-REAP (PA- Regional Educational Applicant & Placement Program)
Part of the National School Applications Network, this is a free service. Candidates interested in Pennsylvania public school employment are strongly encouraged to utilize this tool.
- Teaching Jobs in PA
- NJ School Directories
- NJ SchoolJobs.Com
- OLAS/On-Line Application System (New York)
- Math for America (New York)
- CT-REAP (CT- Regional Educational Applicant & Placement Program)
Part of the National School Applications Network, this is a free service to teacher candidates. Candidates interested in Connecticut public school employment are strongly encouraged to utilize this tool.
- Connecticut Education Association
- TEACH Massachusetts
TeachNOLA is a highly selective program that trains professionals and college graduates to become teachers in New Orleans' highest needs schools.
Additional Job Search Resources / Tools
Join the American Association for Employment in Education as an Educator Candidate member to become part of a database of candidates available to AAEE school district members, as well as access the job board and other helpful resources.
A resource for candidates pursuing positions in charter schools nationwide.
- Council for Exceptional Children
Click on "Career Center" for job search information (located under the "Professional Development" tab).
A comprehensive site for those pursuing K-12 teaching, administrative or support jobs.
Free school matching and career development tools. 1,200+ public/private, PK-12 schools in urban metro areas in the Northeast (NYC, NJ, Philly, DC, Boston) and Los Angeles.
Thousands of job postings from schools/school districts across the United States. Free to job seekers.
- National Public School & School District Locator
Identify schools, school districts and Federal program information by searching respective databases.
A helpful employment source for educators.
- Teach for America
Teachers commit to teaching for two years in urban or rural schools.
- Top School Jobs
A personal job search tool for educators.
Private/Independent School Information & Placement Services
- Carney, Sandoe & Associates
Provides teacher and administrator placement for U.S. and international independent schools. No fee is charged to candidates.
- National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Contains information about private schools, careers in independent school teaching, and related topics.
- Southern Teachers Agency
STA helps connect teachers to positions in private and independent schools in the South (no fee to candidates).
- Association of Pre-Professional Leaders in Education (APPLE)
- Secondary Educators of Tomorrow (SET)
- Student Association for the Education of Young Children (SAYEC)
- Academic Support Program Inspiring Renaissance Educators (ASPIRE)
- Autism Speaks
- Best Buddies
- Big Brothers Big Sisters
- Charity Crossing
- Lori’s Hands
- Music with Heart
- Special Olympics
To find out more about these RSOs and how to get involved, visit Student Central.
- Login to your Handshake account
- Choose "Personalize Handshake" at the top of your home screen
- Choose from 8 different industry focused communities
- Start learning about jobs, internships, and events that interest you
CONNECT WITH YOUR COMMUNITY TODAY
TOP TEN EMPLOYERS:
- Appoquinimink School District (DE)
- Boys & Girls Clubs
- Child, Inc.
- City Year
- Easter Seals
- Fairfax County Public Schools (VA)
- Howard County Public Schools (MD)
- State of Delaware
- Success Academy Charter Schools (NY)
- Teach for America