EDUCATION & HELPING PROFESSIONS
Explore potential careers and develop industry specific skills for success in the Education & Helping Professions Community. The Career Center offers individual counseling, job and internship resources, networking events, and professional development opportunities to help students succeed. Below is a quick snapshot of relevant industries, career outlook, community specific resources, and related Registered Student Organizations to help direct students along their career path in the Education & Helping Professions Community.
OCCUPATIONS & BROAD INDUSTRIES:
- Adult Education
- Coaching/Athletic Administration
- College Administration & Student Affairs
- Counseling (Mental Health; School/Guidance/Career; Marriage/Family; Substance Abuse; Rehabilitation; Crisis; Pastoral; Art/Music Therapy; etc.)
- Community Services
- Curriculum Development
- Education/School Administration
- Education Advocacy
- English as a Second Language Teaching
- Libraries/Information & Media Services
- Pre-K & K-12 Teaching (Public, Charter & Private/Independent Schools)
- School Psychology
- Social & Human Services
- School Specialists (PT; OT; Speech/Language)
- Family and Social Services/Social Work
- Student Services
- Teaching Abroad
- Vocational Education
- Youth Development
- Office of Certification and Accreditation at the University of Delaware
Contains links to certification procedures, testing requirements, informational meetings, etc.
- State Departments of Education and Certification Information
Contact information for state DOE's and steps and requirements for certification in each state.
- From Campus to Classroom
A helpful job search guide for teacher education majors
- Work Monger: a free resource to help find non-teaching jobs in Education (e.g. leadership, policy, fundraising, curriculum, finance, operations, technology, data management)
Job Search Resources/Tools by State
- Join Delaware Schools
- Kelly Educational Staffing and the Substitute Teacher Service
Two agencies that provide substitute teachers to many Delaware and Pennsylvania schools.
- Maryland State Dept. of Education (MSDE)
- Pennsylvania Department of Education
- PA-REAP (PA- Regional Educational Applicant & Placement Program)
Part of the National School Applications Network, this is a free service. Candidates interested in Pennsylvania public school employment are strongly encouraged to utilize this tool.
- Teaching Jobs in PA
- NJ School Directories
- NJ SchoolJobs.Com
- OLAS/On-Line Application System (New York)
- Math for America (New York)
- CT-REAP (CT- Regional Educational Applicant & Placement Program)
Part of the National School Applications Network, this is a free service to teacher candidates. Candidates interested in Connecticut public school employment are strongly encouraged to utilize this tool.
- Connecticut Education Association
- TEACH Massachusetts
TeachNOLA is a highly selective program that trains professionals and college graduates to become teachers in New Orleans' highest needs schools.
Additional Job Search Resources / Tools
Join the American Association for Employment in Education as an Educator Candidate member to become part of a database of candidates available to AAEE school district members, as well as access the job board and other helpful resources.
A resource for candidates pursuing positions in charter schools nationwide.
- Council for Exceptional Children
Click on "Career Center" for job search information (located under the "Professional Development" tab).
A comprehensive site for those pursuing K-12 teaching, administrative or support jobs.
Free school matching and career development tools. 1,200+ public/private, PK-12 schools in urban metro areas in the Northeast (NYC, NJ, Philly, DC, Boston) and Los Angeles.
Thousands of job postings from schools/school districts across the United States. Free to job seekers.
- National Public School & School District Locator
Identify schools, school districts and Federal program information by searching respective databases.
A helpful employment source for educators.
- Teach for America
Teachers commit to teaching for two years in urban or rural schools.
- Top School Jobs
A personal job search tool for educators.
Private/Independent School Information & Placement Services
- Carney, Sandoe & Associates
Provides teacher and administrator placement for U.S. and international independent schools. No fee is charged to candidates.
- National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Contains information about private schools, careers in independent school teaching, and related topics.
- Southern Teachers Agency
STA helps connect teachers to positions in private and independent schools in the South (no fee to candidates).
Opportunities at UD
- Summer Scholars Usual application deadline: Check website (usually March 1)
- Summer Fellows Usual application deadline: Check website (usually April 30)
Opportunities at national labs, institutes and programs
- Naval Research Enterprise Internship Program (NREIP) Application opens: 11/30/2020
- Big Ten Academic Alliance universities Application deadline: 2/10/2021
- IPAM Research in Industrial Projects for Students (RIPS) 2021. In Singapore, Berlin, Sendai. Application opens: 11/1/20
- Naval Air System Command (NAVAIR) Internship Application deadline: Check their website
- Undergraduate Research Apprenticeship Program - US Army Application opens: January 2021
- MSIPP Research Opportunities, ORNL, Flyer Application opens: 1/29/21
- Los Alamos National Laboratory, Undergraduate Student Internship Program Application deadline: 2/28/2021
- NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory Summer Internship Application deadline: 3/31/2021
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Internships; Flyer Application deadline: Check their website
- Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) Internships Application deadline: Check their website
- Sandia National Laboratories Internships and Co-Ops Application deadline: Check their website
- Mid-Atlantic Regional Fellowship Application deadline: February 2021
Opportunities at research schools
- Stanford Engineering Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) Application opens: 11/1/2020
- University of Pennsylvania NSF-REU Summer Research Fellowships Application opens: 11/1/2020
- Harvard School of Engineering & Applied Sciences Summer Internships Application information becomes available: 11/15/20
- REU Site: Thermal Management on Multiple Scales Application opens: 12/1/2020
- Cornell University Research Experience for Undergraduates Program Application opens: 12/1/2020
- Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai Biomedical Big Data Science Program flyer Application deadline: 2/1/2021
- UC Berkeley Amgen Scholars Program Application deadline: 2/3/2021
- Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory Engineering Undergraduate Internship Program Application deadline: 2/18/2021
- Computational Sensing and Robotics at Johns Hopkins University Application deadline: 2/21/2021
- Caltech Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowships Application deadline: 2/22/2021
- Indiana University Bloomington Department of Mathematics REU Program Application deadline: 2/28/2021
- University of Florida Application deadline: 3/22/2021
- UCLA Summer Programs for Undergraduate Research Application deadline: 3/31/2021
- Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory ATLAS Program Application deadline: 3/31/2021
- Georgia Southern REU Site Georgia Southern REU Site: Propulsion, Aerodynamics, Materials and Controls of Aerial Vehicles. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis starting in January 2021.
- Yale Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship Application deadline: Check their website
- Princeton University Center for Complex Materials REU Application deadline: Check their website
- NSF REU Sites There are many positions available, please search the Site pages, according to your research interest. They provide detailed application instructions. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to write to the contact person directly. Application deadline: Flexible
Typical components of REU applications:
Prepare a good, well-crafted CV or resume (consider using LaTeX). Receive feedback from the Career Center staff by scheduling an appointment with a career counselor through Handshake (and a faculty member, preferably from your department). Please don’t hesitate in asking for an appointment with a faculty member to get some feedback on your CV/resume.
Suggestion: Every semester, plan on adding at least one bullet point to your CV or resume. Interact with one or more faculty members to build some research content for a poster or presentation competition and look for research poster competitions and conferences at UD and in neighboring schools and institutes. Volunteer to do some research even if it is only for an hour per week. Eventually, this will grow and give you content for publications and presentations.
- An essay (or a research statement)
Please read carefully the REU position advertisement that you wish to apply for, and identify if they are looking for anything specific in the essay or statement. If no instructions are given, you may consider covering the following:
- Why do you want to apply for the position, or what do you wish to accomplish from participating in the research program? (Typical answers: prepare for graduate school, solve scientifically important problems, apply knowledge gained from coursework to solve real-world problems or simply to gain research experience.)
- What prior experience do you have on research? This is where you will find it important to get involved with research (at least to some level) with a faculty member so that you have some content to build a few sentences or paragraph on.
- What are your research interests? If you already have some research interests, describe it (try to make a connection to any particular research topics mentioned in the position description). It may be a good idea to be a bit flexible in describing research interests so that you maximize your chances of getting the position and give yourself an opportunity to learn new things. You may consider seeking advice from a faculty member in your department.
Note: For the essay for the UD Summer Scholar or Fellow positions, you should contact a professor (who you want to work with) to discuss a research topic. You would need a letter from that professor to support your application. It won’t hurt to reach out to multiple professors and see who have projects available.
- Recommendation letter
This is an important component of the application. Typically, students collect letters from course teachers. To stand out among the applicants, it may be very helpful to have something in your letter written on your research experience. To provide substance on this for your letter writers, consider getting involved with research with a faculty member (you may want to offer to do some volunteer research if needed). If you did not interact with a faculty member yet, start contacting them as soon as you can, and see if they have any research work that you could contribute to. Exposure to small research tasks may eventually lead to journal publications, and more importantly, may open up a new career path for you.
- An online application (requesting basic information about the applicant).
For additional questions, send a follow-up email to Zubaer Hossain, Assistant Professor, at email@example.com with a subject ’More Questions on REU’. In case your email remains unanswered (for two weeks), please check the subject of your email.
- Association of Pre-Professional Leaders in Education (APPLE)
- Secondary Educators of Tomorrow (SET)
- Student Association for the Education of Young Children (SAYEC)
- Academic Support Program Inspiring Renaissance Educators (ASPIRE)
- Autism Speaks
- Best Buddies
- Big Brothers Big Sisters
- Charity Crossing
- Lori’s Hands
- Music with Heart
- Special Olympics
To find out more about these RSOs and how to get involved, visit Student Central.
- Login to your Handshake account
- Choose "Personalize Handshake" at the top of your home screen
- Choose from 8 different industry focused communities
- Start learning about jobs, internships, and events that interest you
CONNECT WITH YOUR COMMUNITY TODAY
TOP TEN EMPLOYERS:
- Appoquinimink School District (DE)
- Boys & Girls Clubs
- Child, Inc.
- City Year
- Easter Seals
- Fairfax County Public Schools (VA)
- Howard County Public Schools (MD)
- State of Delaware
- Success Academy Charter Schools (NY)
- Teach for America
Connect with @UDCareers
#UDINTERN • #UDREAMITDOIT
Phone: (302) 831-2392
401 Academy Street • Newark, DE 19716