Majors & Communities
Exploring Majors & Career Communities
The Career Center provides tailored services based on industry-focused career communities. These career communities supply guidance on preparation steps, experiences and connections needed to be competitive in the workplace.
Choosing a career community or several career communities presents tailored opportunities to connect academic studies to the world of work. Additionally, being a part of a career community allows for a more personalized career experience through customized newsletters, networking events and more.
TIPS FOR UNCERTAIN TIMES:
During these uncertain times, it is more helpful than ever to meet with a career counselor who possesses knowledge specific to your industry of interest, utilize career community-specific resources and participate in networking and recruitment events. See below for how to opt into your career community and how to schedule your appointment.
Follow this link for additional information and virtual services
JOINING CAREER COMMUNITIES GIVES YOU ACCESS TO:
- Meetings with career counselors who specialize in your areas of interest
- Jobs and internships, professional development opportunities, events, programs and resources
- Alumni, employer and graduate school connections
Not sure which industry you would like to pursue or which career community best fits your interests? Check out Exploring & Deciding.
SIGN UP FOR THE CAREER COMMUNITIES THROUGH HANDSHAKE
TO CHOOSE YOUR COMMUNITY:
- Log into your Handshake account
- Click on your name/profile photo at the top of your home screen
- Pick "Career Interests" from the drop down menu
- Choose the communities of interest to you
- Start learning about jobs, internships and events in your desired fields
- Log into Handshake using your UD username and password.
- Click “Career Center” on the top corner of the screen.
- Click “Appointments.”
- Click “Schedule a New Appointment.”
- Under “Choose a Category” select the Career Community that interests you OR select “Earliest Available Appointment.”
- Under “Choose an Appointment type” select a Career Counselor based on your Career Community
- Under “Type” select a Career Counselor to see their availability.
- Click on the desired appointment date and time.
- Select "Virtual Appointment" as your desired “Appointment Medium”. Note the purpose of the appointment, add your phone number, and click the aplicable box that states you understand the appointment is virtual.
- Click on the green request box. You will receive an appointment confirmation email.
UD Virtual Career Appointment Tutorial: youtube.com/watch?v=CWTOIdFvl6w