Arts, Media & Communications
Explore potential careers and develop industry-specific skills for success in the Arts, Media & Communications Community. The Career Center offers individual counseling, job and internship resources, networking events and professional development opportunities to help students succeed. Below is a quick snapshot of relevant industries, career outlook, community-specific resources and related Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) to help direct students along their career path in the Arts, Media & Communications Community.
OCCUPATIONS & BROAD INDUSTRIES:
- Apparel Design
- Art Conservation & Curation
- Arts Administration & Management
- Fine Arts
- Galleries & Auction Houses
- Graphic Design
- Illustration & Motion Graphics
- Interaction Design
- Music Composition, Recording & Performance
- Music Management
- Performing Arts
- Public Relations
- Radio, TV, Film Production & Broadcasting
- Social Media Management
- Visual Arts
- Writing & Editing
For "creative" positions (copywriter and graphic designer): A resume is truly secondary to the work that you present in your portfolio.
For writing-intensive positions: You will benefit from an online portfolio (created using a website like WordPress, Pressfolios or clippings.me) that includes samples of your writing, such as blog posts, published articles and/or press releases (depending on the nature of the positions you are targeting). You should provide a link to this website on your resume.
- Wix - (Click here to access a virtual workshop that covers creating an online portfolio website using Wix).
For videographer and production positions: Videographers and producers need to have a “reel” of work that they conceptualized, filmed and produced. The videos should be posted to a website for easy viewing. Resumes are more of a formality after evaluating the person's reel.
- Alliance of Artist Communities
- Greater Philadelphia Cultural Alliance
- The AWN Career Connections
CREATIVE & DESIGN
- Authentic Jobs
- Bestfolios - UI/UX Portfolio And Resume Inspirations and Collections
- Creative Hotlist
- Smashing Magazine
- Society for News Design
ADVERTISING, PR, & MARKETING
MUSEUM, GALLERIES, LIBRARIES & ARCHIVES
WRITING, EDITING & PUBLISHING
- Art Conservation
- Art History Club
- Artist Network Initiative
- Club Bird's Eye View
- Harrington Theatre Arts Company (HTAC)
- Let’s Blast Off 8-Bit Orchestra
- Music Department Student Council
- Photography Club
- Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA)
- Society of Composers
- Student Television Network (STN)
- Synergy Fashion Group
- Take the Mike
- UDress Magazine
- WVUD Radio Station
To find out more about these RSOs and how to get involved, visit Student Central.
- American Federation of Musicians
- American Photographic Artists
- American Society of Magazine Editors
- Association Typographique Internationale (ATypI)
- The Authors Guild
- Graphic Artists Guild
- International Association of Clothing Designers & Executives
- International Institute for Conservation of Historic & Artistic Work
- Literary Managers and Dramaturgs of the Americas
- NAMM Association
- National Association of Broadcasters
- Philly Ad Club
- Society for News Design
- Society for Technical Communication
- Society of Illustrators
- Society of Typographic Aficionados (SOTA)
CONNECT WITH YOUR COMMUNITY TODAY
- Log in to your Handshake account.
- Choose "Personalize Handshake" at the top of your home screen.
- Choose from 8 different industry-focused communities.
- Start learning about jobs, internships, and events that interest you.
- ab+c Creative Intelligence
- Destination Maternity
- Media Kitchen
- NBC Universal
- News Journal Media Group
- Synchrogenix Information Strategies
- Thomson Reuters
- Wilmington Blue Rocks
The UD Career Center is part of the Division of Student Life, which advances equity and inclusion, deepens student learning and drives holistic development through education, experiences and communities.