Carvel Research and Education Center

The Elbert N. and Ann V. Carvel Research and Education Center

The Carvel Center campus, located in Georgetown in Sussex County, fulfills the tripartite mission of our land-grant university — teaching, research and Extension outreach. The Carvel Center serves as the southern agriculture experiment station for the University of Delaware College of Agriculture and Natural Resources, and encompasses the Thurman Adams Jr. Agriculture Research Farm (347 acres) with a focus on agronomic, vegetable and horticulture crops, the Warrington Irrigation Research Farm (120 acres) in Harbeson, Lasher Laboratory for poultry diagnostics, and the Jones Hamilton Environmental Research House. Our campus is also home to Sussex County Cooperative Extension providing programing in 4-H Youth Development, Poultry, Family and Consumer Sciences, and Lawn and Garden. 

With an overall staff of 50 full-time administrators, agents, faculty, and specialists, assisted by 50 to 70 seasonal part-time employees and student interns, the Carvel Center paves the way in serving the needs of the agricultural industry, youth and families, students and residents of our great state. Learn more about our history.




The Carvel Research and Education Center
16483 County Seat Highway
Georgetown, Delaware 19947

Meet Our Staff >

Our research and educational facilities

Student Opportunities at the Carvel Center

Internships >

Visit our Demonstration Garden >

Our facility continues the strong tradition of serving our agricultural clientele and their families as well as the citizens of Delaware.

Mark Isaacs Carvel REC director

Our facility continues the strong tradition of serving our agricultural clientele and their families as well as the citizens of Delaware.

Mark Isaacs Carvel REC director

Upcoming Events/Workshops

(Click calendar icon to view more)


Featured News

Dan Bautista, our poultry veterinarian and director of Lasher Lab for his recognition at Delmarva Poultry Industry, Inc. 63rd annual Booster Banquet

History of the Carvel Center published

Ed Kee, retired Extension Vegetable Specialist and former Secretary of Agriculture in Delaware has written a history of the Carvel Center. Dating back to the purchase of 310 acre “Tyndall” farm in 1941 for $7,555 to establish an agricultural research substation, the people who served there have achieved a tremendous record of serving farmers and the agricultural industry. In 1958, the Sussex County Extension staff moved from the Georgetown Post Office to the “Substation.” This placed the three Land Grant components: research, teaching and extension in one location, thus sharing knowledge with the people of the county and the region. Learn more about the history of the Carvel Center.

  • Brain camp

    Article by Beth Chajes | September 15, 2017

    Summer workshop entices curious minds to explore cognitive and brain sciences

  • New Connections’ speaker series

    Article by Ann Manser | September 08, 2017

    Starting Sept. 11, weekly talks highlight interdisciplinary knowledge, community engagement

  • Name the Blue Hens game day mascots

    Article by Adam Thomas | August 28, 2017

    UD to feature live Blue Hens at home football games this fall.

The original agricultural substation from 1942

History of the Agriculture Research Center in Georgetown

A Delaware General Assembly act provided the establishment of an agricultural substation for southern Delaware. The first structure at the new "Substation" opened in 1942, which is still in use — now as storage space.

A more thorough, published history written by former Extension specialist and former Delaware Secretary of Agriculture, Ed Kee, is now available in the fall of 2019. See our history page for details.