The University of Delaware Dietetic Internship prominently features the use of computer technology in its program. From the time that prospective interns first view the Internship home page until they take the RD exam in computer-adaptive test format after completion of the Internship, they will be exposed to leading-edge computer applications. A computer laboratory session is included in the Internship orientation, to acquaint the student with the many ways that computer technology is used in the Internship.
Some of the computer applications used by this Internship include the following:
- Internship classes delivered by video-recorded lectures on the Internet, accompanied by live discussion sessions with speakers in Zoom Classroom.
- All written assignments submitted directly on the Internet through the use of Canvas, an Internet-based learning management system.
- Extensive use of email as a communication tool between faculty, preceptors, and interns.
- Narrated PowerPoint presentations.
- Mock RD practice exams given at the beginning and again at the end of the Internship in computer-based format.
Prospective interns should be comfortable using word processing software (i.e. Microsoft Word), spreadsheets (i.e. Microsoft Excel) and Microsoft PowerPoint.
In order for students to be able to adequately experience the variety of technology applications during the Internship, the Technology Solutions Center at the University of Delaware has the following recommendations:
- If you are using an older computer during the Internship, there are minimum configurations it MUST HAVE in order for it to interface with the University network. For information about the minimum requirements for older computers, please consult the following University web site:http://sites.udel.edu/computing-purchases/personal-specs/
- Please be advised that these minimum requirements may not always provide you with satisfactory web-based video transmissions when you are viewing lectures in video-streamed format. However, an older computer is very satisfactory for preparing documents and completing assignments.
- If you are considering the purchase of a new computer prior to beginning the Internship, please consult the following University web site: http://sites.udel.edu/computing-purchases/personal-min-specs/
- A headset with a microphone is required to participate in the online class discussions and to record narrations for PowerPoint presentations.