APPLICANT CONDUCT POLICY
To participate in services offered by the Career Center (CC), including accessing Handshake, you must read and agree to the terms outlined below. Students should recognize that they can both positively and negatively influence current and future positions for themselves and fellow applicants, as well as, the reputation of the University of Delaware. If you have any questions, please contact the Career Center.
By logging into Handshake you give permission to the UD Career Center to share your resume and any other uploaded documents with employers.
The Career Center uses third-party vendors to provide certain services that are available to students through Handshake. By logging in to Handshake, you also give permission to the Career Center to share information that you provide with Career Centers’s third-party vendors to the extent necessary for the delivery of these services.
Use of Services
Participation in UD's Handshake Database and On-Campus Interview Program
In order to participate in UD's Handshake database and on-campus interview program, you must:
- Provide accurate and honest information about your education, experience and qualifications for full-time positions and/or internships for which you apply.
- Attend all scheduled interviews unless you have notified the Career Center of the need to cancel the interview prior to the scheduled appointment (see section on Late Cancellations)
If you need to cancel your interview, you must notify the Career Center at least 48 hours in advance so that alternates may be contacted. Call (302) 831-2392 or email: email@example.com.
- If you do not show up for a scheduled interview and did not contact the Career Center in advance, you are considered a "no-show" and access to your Handshake account will be suspended until you submit a letter of explanation addressed to the employer and emailed to the Career Center.
- If your letter is deemed appropriate by UD's Career Center, the letter will be forwarded to the employer and your Handshake account will be reactivated.
- If your letter is deemed inappropriate or insufficient, a CC staff member will meet with you and your Handshake account will remain de-activated until a sufficient letter is approved.
- If you miss more than one scheduled interview, you will lose all access to Handshake, as well as, the On-Campus Interview Program until you have met with your career advisor and your career advisor authorizes reactivation of your account.
Accepting a Job
When you accept a job offer, it is important to inform the Career Center of your decision because it affects your participation in the On-Campus Interview Program. Consequently, you should keep the following principles in mind:
- Accept an offer for full-time position or internship in good faith, with the full intention of honoring your Commitment.
- Any and all full-time and/or internship offers extended to candidates during a summer or adjacent fall semester will remain valid for a minimum of three (3) weeks (21 days) or through October 15; whichever date is later. Any and all offers made during a spring semester will remain valid for a minimum of two weeks (14 days).
- Any and all offers extended at the conclusion of an externship/leadership program during the Spring/Summer terms, employers should give until September 1st or a minimum of 2 weeks (14 days), whichever date is later for students to accept or decline the offer.
- All associated offer features (bonuses, start date, relocation costs, etc.) will remain valid for the entirety of the aforementioned offer time frames.
- Offers extended within two weeks of the last day of a spring semester may be accompanied by a shorter timeframe than the aforementioned two weeks.
- Candidates may accept an offer prior to an offer deadline. Employers may extend offers with deadlines beyond the aforementioned time frames.
- When you accept a job offer, you must notify potential employers (if you still have outstanding offers or interviews) and contact the Career Center within one business day of your acceptance.
- Withdraw from all interviews immediately upon accepting a position offer.
- If an employer offers travel reimbursement, whether or not a job is accepted, claim only fair and reasonable reimbursement from employers for travel expenses actually incurred.
Handshake Account Suspension
- Your access to Handshake will be suspended if any of the above conditions are not met.
- If you have been suspended from Handshake, it is still your responsibility to honor all interviews that you have scheduled with other employers in the On-Campus Interviewing Program.
The Career Center reserves the right to review violations of this policy and to suspend access to all career services on a permanent basis. In order to regain access to the Career Center, you may be required to:
- Send an email apology to Career Center who will then forward the apology to the employer and the Dean of your college
- Schedule an appointment with your a Career Center staff member who may impose other limitations or sanctions such as
- Attend an Ethics Education workshop or other workshop(s) as designated by the Career Center
- Be referred to the Office of Student Conduct for additional action
This policy is subject to change without prior notice. All applicants are still subject to the terms of this policy.