Dr. Saylor’s program of research focuses on type one diabetes of emerging young adults and the transition to college. Dr. Saylor previous research experience in simulation with funding and publication. She has methodological expertise is in mixed methods research and large databases. She has been funded by ANF, Delaware Health Science Alliance, General University Grant, private foundations. She teaches in the Graduate, Accelerated, and PhD programs in the areas of research and clinical education.
- PhD, University of Maryland at Baltimore, June 2011
Focus: Metabolic Syndrome and Depressive Symptoms
- MSN, University of Delaware, 2000
Major: Cardiopulmonary Clinical Nurse Specialist
Focus: Interventional Cardiology
- BSN, Allegheny University of Health Sciences, 1998
- Course Coordinator- NURS 110 Nursing Connections
- Course Coordinator- NURS 250 Health Assessment across the Lifespan
- Co-Instuctor- NURS 253 Health and Physical Assessment
- Course Coordinator- NURS 411 Topics in Healthcare Delivery: Teaching Wellness to Children
- Course Coordinator- NURS 453 Clinical Adult Health I
- Course Coordinator- NURS 460: Transition to Professional Nursing Practice I
- Course Coordinator- NURS 473 Clinical Adult Health I
- Course Coordinator- NURS 473 Clinical Adult Health II: Dedicated Education Unit
- Course Coordinator- NURS 479 Clinical Preceptorship
- Course Coordinator- NURS 480: Transition to Professional Nursing Practice II
- Course Coordinator- NURS604 Advanced Practice Roles for Healthcare Providers
- Course Coordinator- NURS 636 Adult-Gerontology I
- Course Coordinator- NURS 646 Adult-Gerontology II
- Role Preceptor- NURS 686 Clinical Nurse Specialist Role Integration
Interdepartmental Department of Behavior Health and Nutrition:
- Couse Developer and Co-teach since 2014- HLPR 605 Concepts of Chronic Disease Management
Saylor, J., Lee, S., +Ness, M., Ambrosino, J., Ike, E., Zieglar, M., Roth, C., & Calamaro, C. J. (2018). Positive health benefits of peer support and connections for college students with type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Educator 44(4), 340-347. http://doi.org/10.1177/0145721718765947
Saylor, J., Calamaro, C. J., Hardie, T., +Ness, M., & Selekman, J. (2018) Are college students told by healthcare providers about their risk factors for developing diabetes? Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, 30(7), 398-405. DOI: 10.1097/JXX.0000000000000051
Calamaro, C. J., Saylor, J., & Hanna, K. (2018). Healthcare Experience of Young Adults Diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 14(6), 484-490. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nurpra.2018.02.002.
Ness, M., Saylor, J., & Selekman, J. (2018). Maternal Experiences of Transitioning Their Emerging Adult with Type 1 Diabetes to College. Diabetes Educator, 44(2), 178-187. DOI: 10.1177/0145721718759980.
Saylor, J., Hertsenberg, L., +McQuillan, M., O’Connell, A., Shoe, K., & Calamaro, C., J. (2018). Effects of a service learning experience on confidence and clinical skills in a baccalaureate nursing students. Nurse Education Today, 61, 43-48. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2017.11.009
- Saylor, J., Wrainright, S., Herge, E. A., & Pohlig, R. T. (2016). Peer-Assessment Debriefing Instrument (PADI): Assessing faculty effectiveness in simulation education Journal of Allied Health, 45(3), e27–e30.
- Saylor, J., & Calamaro, C. (2016). Transitioning young adults with type 1 diabetes to campus life. Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 12(1), 41-46.
- Saylor, J., Herge, E. A., Wrainright, S., & Pohlig, R. T. (2016). Development of Instrument to Assess the Clinical Effectiveness of the Debriefer in Simulation Education. Journal of Allied Health, 45(3), 191-198.
- Saylor, J., Vernooy, S+, Selekman, J., & Cowpethwait, A. (2016). Interprofessional Education using a palliative care simulation. Nurse Educator, 41(3), 125-129. DOI:10.1097/NNE.0000000000000228
- Saylor, J. & Friedmann, E. Biopsychosocial contributors to metabolic syndrome: A secondary analysis of 2007-2010 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey Data. (2015). Nursing Research, 64(6), 434-443. DOI:10.1097/NNR.0000000000000121
- Saylor, J., Schell, K. A., Mandell, M. & Graber, J. (2015). Development of a clinical competency checklist for care of patients experiencing substance withdrawal delirium or and delirium: Use of a Delphi technique and expert panel. Journal of Psychosocial Nursing, 55(6), 29-36. DOI: 10.3928/02793695-20150526-01
- Salam, T., Saylor, J., & Cowperthwait, A. (2015). Attitudes of nurse and physician trainees towards an interprofessional simulated education experience on pain assessment and management. Journal of Interprofessional Care, 29(3), 276-278. doi:10.3109/13561820.2014.950726
- Cowperthwait, A., Saylor, J., Schmitt, L. A., Salam, T., Melby, M. K., & Baker, S. D. (2015). Healthcare Theatre and Simulation: Maximizing Interprofessional Partnerships. Clinical Simulation in Nursing, 11(9), 411-420. DOI:10.1016/j.ecns.2015.05.005
- Cowperthwait, A., Saylor, J., & Schell, K. (2013). Healthcare Theatre: A unique simulation partner. Clinical Simulation in Nursing, 10(1), e41-46. DOI:10.1016/j.ecns.2013.05.012
- Saylor, J, Friedmann, E., & Lee, H.J. (2012). Navigating complex samples analysis using a national survey data. Nursing Research, 61(3), 231-237.
- American Nurses Foundation/Eastern Nursing Research Society. Transition to college campus living with a chronic condition: Type 1 diabetes exemplar, 2016-2017. Role: Principal Investigator.
- General University Grant, University of Delaware. Transition to college campus living with a chronic condition: Type 1 diabetes exemplar, 2016-2018. Role: Principal Investigator.
- Beta Xi Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International. Health and college life among young adults with/without diabetes and asthma: A secondary analysis of NHANES data, 2016-2017. Role: Principal Investigator.
- Delaware Health Science Alliance Education Grant. Instrument development to assess a debriefing facilitator in simulation education of healthcare provider, 2012-2015. Role: Principal Investigator.
- State of Delaware. Disaster Preparedness Training, 2012-2013. Role: Co-Investigator.
- Advanced Clinical Nurse Specialist Medical/Surgical Nursing
- 2016- Delaware Today, DE Top Nurses Nursing Excellence As Academic Educator
- 2016- Nominated for University of Delaware Excellence in Teaching Award
- 2016- Nominated for University of Delaware Excellence in Undergraduate Academic Advising and Mentoring Award
- 2013- Nominated for American Association of Colleges of Nursing Innovations in Professional Nursing Education Award
- 2012- Christiana Care Health Services, Most innovative educational program