MS Medical Laboratory Science
The MS-MLS for science graduates program is designed for individuals holding a Bachelor of Science in biology, chemistry, or a related major and who are not certified medical technologists or medical laboratory scientists but who desire a career in the clinical laboratory sciences. Upon completion, these individuals will be eligible to take a national examination for certification as a medical laboratory scientist. Through this degree, students will gain specialized, in-depth professional hands-on skills and leadership competencies preparing them to succeed within the increasingly clinical laboratory sciences sector. The MS in MLS will allow students to gain defined “bench-focused” technical competency, in addition to training in regulatory and fiscal affairs that impact laboratory management. Completion of this program, accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science (NAACLS), will prepare students to perform clinical laboratory testing and to complete the national certification examination in Medical Laboratory Science, MLS(ASCP). Following graduation students can apply their knowledge to meet specific career goals whether it be clinical laboratory practice or (with experience) management
Benefits of the program include:
- Gaining a workforce ready, well-rounded and marketable technical skills geared for future employment
- Exposure to regulatory, fiscal and management aspects of laboratory practice
- Rapid and fixed time frame of degree completion (18 months)
- Internships integrated into the curriculum offer a leg up in the job market upon graduation
- Preparation to sit for the medical laboratory scientist board of certification exam offered through the American Society for Clinical Pathology, ASCP/BOC
61-credit blended (both online, hybrid and face-to-face instruction)
- Application is competitive and a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 is recommended.
- The GRE is not required.
- Completion of the TOEFL requirements are described in detail below for international applicants
- Written statement of goals and objectives (the personal statement) that clearly identifies the applicant’s research and curriculum interests and explains how admission to the program will facilitate his/her professional objectives.
- Current résumé and two academic or professional letters of recommendation
Students not having completed a BS in a science based discipline may be considered for admission provided they have completed the following science and math prerequisite course work: 16 credits of Biological Sciences including one semester of Microbiology (a course in Immunology is strongly recommended); 12 credits of chemistry including one semester of organic chemistry; and 3 credits of college level math or statistics.
The 2022-2023 UD graduate student tuition rate per credit hour is $979.
Due to a College of Health Sciences Dean’s Scholarship, the student tuition rate is lower than the published UD graduate tuition rate. The final student tuition rate for the Medical Laboratory Sciences program is $754/credit. Please contact the department for more information.
- MMSC 607/617 Clinical Phys Chem I with lab
- MMSC 623/624 Hematology I with lab
- MMSC 628/629 Medical Micro with lab
- MMSC 609/619 Immunoheme I with lab
- MMSC 691 Human Molecular Genetics (online)
- MMSC 603 Research Design (online)
- MMSC 636 Clinical Physiological Chem II
- MMSC 637 Clinical Instrumentation
- MMSC 633/634 Hematology II with lab
- MMSC 620/621 Immunohematology II with lab
- MMSC 638/639 Diagnostic Bacteriology & Medical Mycology with lab
- MMSC 602/612 Body Fluid Analysis with lab
- MMSC 605 Regulatory and Fiscal Issues in Laboratory Management
- MMSC 627 Flow Cytometry
- MMSC 815 Contemporary Topics Research I
- MMSC 693 Cellular & Molecular Diagnostic Techniques
- MMSC 673 Advanced Clinical Chemistry and Body Fluid Analysis Practicum
- MMSC 675 Advanced Clinical Hematology Practicum
- MMSC 677 Advanced Clinical Microbiology and Immunology Practicum
- MMSC 679 Advanced Clinical Immunohematology Practicum