Graduate Students

Grad students in Salil Lachke's Biological Sciences research group, training and working with undergraduate members of the team in their Wolf Hall lab. From left (grad student unless otherwise noted): Francisco (Frankie) Hernańdez (undergrad), Sandeep Aryal - (Evan Krape / University of Delaware)

Exploring Costs and Aid

We encourage you to review information on educational costs and to familiarize yourself with the processes of applying for, finalizing, and maintaining financial aid eligibility.  Students should file the FAFSA to be considered for federal student loans.  Aid is generally offered for the academic year, but disbursement (payment) is split between the Fall and Spring Semesters.

Students are responsible for all educational costs on their student accounts after the free drop/add period.

How to fill out the FAFSA form:

Graduate Students | University of Delaware


The U.S. Department of Education permits schools to use Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) data to aid in the administration of several federal benefits programs.

more information



Types of Aid


  Type of Aid



  Minimum GPA



Federal Student Loans


- Fall/Spring


4.5 credit hours





67% completion rate


Private Education Loans 


- Any


May vary by lender


May vary by lender



May vary by lender 


*Those marked "Any" require enrollment in winter/summer sessions and remaining funding eligibility

**Must earn/successfully complete number of credit hours

Educational loans are typically applicable to tradiational terms (Fall/Spring). Separate loan applications may be required for Winter and Summer sessions. For inquries regarding eligibility for departmental funding, please contact your respetice department directly. 

University Funding

Traditional On-Campus Programs

University of Delaware graduate funding is handled through the Graduate & Professional Education office.  Please visit their funding opportunities page to review those options.

Funded graduate students receiving a stipdend from UD are eligible to opt into payroll deduction, which allows their fees to be paid in installments from their stipend payment.  Students wishing to enroll in this payment option should complete two steps:


Online Programs

UD's various online programs have individualized funding opportunities.  Please visit the UD Online page for more details.


Federal Direct Loans

Students who submit a FAFSA and meet other eligibility requirements will be offered Federal Direct Student Loans.  Students who need additional borrowing eligibility can apply for a Federal Grad PLUS Loan.

Interest rates and origination fee information can be found at

First-time borrowers must complete entrance counseling and a Master Promissory Note (MPN).

Alternative Loans

Alternative (private) educational loans are offered from a variety of lenders. These loans require a credit check.  Generally, students will apply for these loans using a credit-worthy U.S. co-signer.  Alternative loans should be used only after students have exhausted federal loan eligibility.

Students who wish to learn more about alternative loans can find a list of lenders that are frequently used by our students on our alternative lender information site.

The lenders are presented for informational purposes only.  Lenders appearing on the list were chosen based on the lender's ability to receive electronic loan certifications, send Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT), and fee structure. Most loans have zero fees for all borrowers. A few lenders may charge fees for borrowers with poorer credit and/or require that some payments be made while in school. Please read all fee and interest rate information carefully before AND after approval.

New Jersey residents may be interested in taking advantage of the NJ Class loan. More information can be found at the NJ Class website.  A FAFSA is required.

Outside Funding

Outside funding includes financial assistance from sources such as employers or third-party payers, veterans benefits, and scholarships through various organizations unaffiliated with UD.  Some external scholarship options appear on our External Scholarships page, and students generally explore these and other additional resources independently.

Employer Funding

Students eligible for tuition reimbursement from an employer upon submission of grades may defer payment of covered tuition and fees.

  1. Financially clear the student account by selecting the relevant deferred option under Report Additional Credits.  Provide dollar amount of employee benefit in the Amount box and the employer's name in Comment box.
  2. Make payment for remaining balance due by the term due date.

SFS will verify the tuition agreement and adjust the account due date to 30 days after final grades are published.

Third-Party Sponsorship

An organization that funds all or part of a student's education and wishes to be billed directly by the University is considered a third party sponsor.  The sponsor provides the student with a sponsor-approved voucher or letter of credit authorizing the University to invoice the organization for any applicable tuition/fees. Students must submit all sponsor authorization documents, including sponsor-approved voucher or letter of credit, and the completed Third Party Sponsor Billing Agreement form to

University of Delaware is committed to helping student veterans and military service members in their transition from military to college life.  Student veterans can find information and dedicated support at the Student Veterans website.

Students can also seek additional funding through external organizations that offer scholarships.  These organizations may include local and national civic or business organizations.  In most cases, the awarding agency selects the recipient and determines the value of the scholarship.

External scholarship checks should be mailed to:
University of Delaware
Student Financial Services
30 Lovett Avenue
Newark, DE  19716

Additional information, including scholarship search engines, can be found on our External Scholarships listing.

Maintain Aid

It is the student's responsibility to understand the terms and conditions of all financial aid offers.  Students are expected to review the full list of financial aid terms and conditions each year.

Academic requirements for most aid can be found on the Aid Notice in My Finances.  Students who fail to meet these requirements may need to submit an appeal to retain their financial aid eligibility.

Academic Progress

Federal regulations require UD to monitor each student's Satisfactory Academic Progress in order to disburse federal and state funds.  Aid recipients must meet certain standards (GPA, minimum/maximum credit hour completion).

Students who fail to meet any of the terms and conditions of their aid may be required to submit an appeal.

Students who have experienced extenuating circumstances which impacted progress may submit an appeal to determine whether aid can be reinstated.  The appeal form is located in My SFS Docs.