2019 Flag Planting - Veterans Day

COVID-19 Resources 

- The Center for Counseling and Student Development (CCSD) has clinicians who are trained in the needs of veteran and military students. CCSD recognizes that the COVID-19 situation presents unique challenges, and has published a list of coping resources for veteran and military students. Connect with more CCSD services andresources at or by calling 302-831-2141 during business hours. 24 hour support is available on the UD Helpline at 302-831-1001.

- Students using the Post 9/11 GI Bill and enrolled in on-campus coursework, which are now moved to online, will be paid at the on campus BAH rate per VA information.  For more information, please contact the Office of the Dean of Students at


The University of Delaware understands the commitment and sacrifices military members and their families make during their time of service. This is why staff and faculty at the University are committed to helping student veterans and military service members in their transition from military to college life.


The staff of the Office of the Dean of Students stands ready to support all student veterans and service members to help you navigate and succeed within the university environment. The ODS specializes in advocating for students and serving as a source of support and resource connection so that all students can be successful at UD.

If we can be of service to you, please contact us at

UD Veterans Benefits Enrollments Data Form


BHV is the official Student Veterans of America chapter at UD.  Blue Hen Vets seeks to connect veterans of the Armed Forces, Armed Forces Reserve and the Armed Forces Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC) and their family members from all branches of military service. Find BHV on Student Central, Facebook or visit the organization's office in the basement of Perkins Student Center

BHV student central

BHV facebook

Student Veterans:

UD brings wellness, fitness to Veterans and College Athletes Together

Veterans and College Athletes Together is a free health and wellness program for OIF and OEF veterans funded and hosted by the College of Health Sciences at the University of Delaware.

Military and Veteran Recognitions


  • Serving the nation

    Article by Mike Chalmers | September 09, 2021

    After multiple tours as an Army Ranger in Afghanistan and Iraq, Jason Wardrup helped other student-vets at UD

  • UD rises to No. 4 in Military Friendly rankings

    Article by Diane Stopyra | February 17, 2021

    University honored for its commitment to student veterans and their families

  • Ranking among the nation's best

    Article by UDaily staff | September 14, 2020

    UD once again recognized among top public universities in the nation

  • A place for veterans

    Article by Casey Impagliazzo and Eric Ruth | November 05, 2019

    UD to open Veteran and Military Success Center

  • A salute to the veterans

    Article by Eric Ruth | November 11, 2019

    Ceremony celebrates crucial links between the community and its defenders

  • UD athletes to help military vets

    Article by Hilary Douwes | July 26, 2019

    Health Sciences wellness program to pair veterans and athletes for workouts

Coming in as a first-year student: Freshman? Transfer? Grad student? Not sure?

Undergraduate Admissions
Students who wish to earn an undergraduate degree may be classified as a first-year or transfer student, depending on credits you may have earned in your military service or other college-level education. Learn more about undergraduate admissions and transferring a Joint Service Transcript, CCAF transcript or other college credits to UD.

Graduate and Professional Education

Visit Professional and Continuing Studies if you just wish to take courses at UD without pursuing a degree.USMC Leadership Scholar Program

USMC Leadership Scholar Program

UD participates in the USMC Leadership Scholar Program (LSP), which assists Marines in gaining admission to over 200 universities/colleges around the country. This program can help you prepare yourself for admission to the University.

Answering the basics: Veterans’ services, registration, finances, housing

Military and Veterans Services (Office of the Dean of Students)
Provides a wide range of answers related to the VA application process, accessing your GI bill, your status as a student veteran at UD, as well as information on academic advisement, course lists and registration for undergraduate students. For specific questions relating to the VA application process or using your GI bill, email

Undergraduate Transfer and Test Credit

The University of Delaware allows course transfer from appropriately accredited colleges and universities, and awards credit for certain examinations and education programs. Students can find general information about transfer credit policies in the Undergraduate Programs section of the University Catalog and at the Transfer and Test Credit section of the Registrar’s website.

Financial aid, grants and loans

Fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA); you may qualify for other forms of financial aid, but you must submit a FAFSA.

Federal Grants and Federal Loans. These can help you meet your educational expenses (including tuition, fees, books, and living expenses while attending school).

Scholarships for Veterans

New Student Orientation (NSO)
A one-day program covering important topics including student life, academics and registration, and safety and well-being. NSO also gives you the opportunity to meet classmates and orientation staff.

Residence Life and Housing
On-campus housing is available to first-year students, transfer students, upperclass students, and graduate students and their families. This site also provides information regarding off-campus housing.


Student Life Support

Additional Resources 

  • Suiting Warriors: Can provide veterans with professional attire that will help them to compete in the workforce.


Connections for you and yours in the community and beyond.

  • Delaware Joining Forces A military and community partnership for service members, veterans, and their families. Includes a search tool for veteran-related community services in Kent, Sussex, and New Castle counties.
  • Delaware 2-1-1 Provides a central resource for access to the health and human service organizations that offer support for all.
  • Wilmington VA Medical Center Provides comprehensive services ranging from preventive screenings to long-term care. Wilmington VAMC serves veterans in multiple locations for convenient access to services.
  • Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) A tool to help you find the post most convenient to you.
  • Share Your Experiences With Other Veteran Students Many veterans around the country are going to college. Share your experience, and learn from others.
  • - Resources from the U.S. Department of Labor 

The VA Application Process

Please see G.I. Bill Chapters & Educational Benefits for a brief overview of chapters and educational benefits offered to service members, veterans, spouses, and other family members.


  • If you served on Active Duty, you might be eligible for education benefits offered by the Department of Veterans Affairs. For example, the Post-9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for educational and housing expenses to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/l1 GI Bill.
  • If you are currently serving in the military, you may be eligible for funding offered through the Department of Defense Tuition Assistance program. Check your eligibility status and the amount for which you qualify with your Service prior to enrolling.
  • If you are the spouse or child of a service member who is serving on active duty Title 10 orders in the paygrades of El-E5, 01-02, or WI-W2, you may be eligible for financial assistance from the Department of Defense for education, training, and/or the occupational license and credentials necessary for a portable career.
  • If you are the spouse or child of a service member, you may be eligible for transfer of the service member's Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to you.

To receive benefits, you must apply through the Department of Veterans Affairs ( Veterans Affairs determines the amount of benefits a student can receive. UD Registrar's staff cannot estimate benefit amounts or apply for benefits on behalf of a student.

Please contact the Office of the Dean of Students at if you are in need of VA advisement, or for additional information.

The VA will process your application and send you a letter notifying you of their decision. Please be aware that it may take the VA several weeks to process your claim. If you are approved to receive benefits, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility letter from the VA. 

VA Stem Extension: Edith Nourse Rogers STEM Scholarship

The Edith Nourse Rogers Science Technology Engineering Math (STEM) Scholarship allows some eligible Veterans and dependents in high-demand fields to extend their Post-9/11 GI Bill or Fry Scholarship benefits. To find out if you’re eligible for up to 9 months (or $30,000) of added benefits and how to apply please use the below link for additional information.

How to receive VA benefits at the University of Delaware

Once you have received your VA Certificate of Eligibility letter, please complete the steps listed in this section.

NOTE: All University of Delaware undergraduate and graduate programs are approved by the Delaware State Approving Agency for training of veterans.

In order to utilize Veterans Education Benefits, a student must be an admitted University of Delaware student. If you are interested in applying for undergraduate admission to the University of Delaware, please visit our website: or contact the undergraduate admissions office at 302-831-8123.

If you are already a UD student and think that you may be eligible to receive Veteran's Education Benefits, please contact Please contact the Office of the Dean of Students at

  1. Be admitted to the university
  2. Register for courses
  3. Provide a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility letter from the VA to the Registrar's Office (address above).
    If that has not been received yet, a copy of the VA application may be used in the meantime.
  4. After registering for classes, complete and submit the UD Veterans Educational Benefits Enrollment Data Form 
  5. After you have submitted your Certificate of Eligibility letter, and completed the forms listed, UD's VA Certifying Official will electronically submit a 22-1999 enrollment certification to the VA to initiate payments. 
  1. Be admitted to the university;
  2. Register for courses
  3. Provide a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility letter from the VA to the Registrar's office.
  4. If you have used the benefits at a previous college/university, you must also submit a Change of Place of Training Form (22-1995 or if you are a Ch.35 student, form 22-5495);
  5. Complete and submit the UD Veterans Educational Benefits Enrollment Data Form 
  6. After you have submitted your Certificate of Eligibility letter, and completed the forms listed, UD's VA Certifying Official will electronically submit a 22-1999 enrollment certification to the VA to initiate payments.
  7. See Requirements During the Semester/Term

Requirements During the Semester/Term

You must notify UD's VA services office if you change your major, withdraw, or add and/or drop classes.

Failure to report changes to enrollment may cause an overpayment for which the student is responsible for repayment to the V.A.

The VA will be notified of failure to maintain standards of attendance, progress or conduct: When a student has failed to maintain the prescribed standard of attendance, progress, or conduct, the school must promptly notify the VA so that the VA can discontinue benefit payments in accordance with the law. If a student's progress or conduct becomes unsatisfactory, the termination date assigned by the school will be the last day of the term or other evaluation period in which the student's progress or conduct became unsatisfactory. In situations involving unsatisfactory attendance, benefits will be discontinued based on the student's last date of attendance as reported by the school. 

Chapter 33 / Post 911 students:
You will have all or most of their tuition and fees paid for by the VA. UD receives those fees directly from the VA. You must report this credit at UDSIS "My Finances". See the tutorial on how to report VA benefits.

Chapter 30, 1606 veterans:

You will NOT receive payment until you have also verified your monthly attendance directly with the VA.

Enrollment can be verified starting on the last calendar day of the month by using the Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) at or by calling the toll free Interactive Voice Response (IV) telephone line at 1-877-823-2378.

How to Renew VA Enrollment Certification in Subsequent Terms

Enrollment Certification Renewal for upcoming semesters/terms is NOT automatic. If you plan to use VA Benefits, you must submit the UD Veterans Educational Benefits Enrollment Data Form as soon as you register for the following term to reactivate your benefits and prevent a lapse in payment. Without a new enrollment form, your payments will stop.

Military Call-Up, Absences, & Readmission

A student ordered to active duty due to national crisis, under circumstances that preclude completion of a semester or session, will be allowed to take a leave of absence from the University for two consecutive semesters. The student should send a copy of their military orders to the Veteran Services Coordinator or come to 226 Trabant University Center to complete a withdrawal/leave notification form.

Special provisions of the University of Delaware Readmission Policy apply to students seeking readmission after performing military service. Enrolled military spouses who must move due to redeployment or relocation should consult with their assistant dean before leaving the University.


eBenefits VA Portal

Create an account at to have easy access to your eBenefits information. This applies to all VA Chapters.

eBenefits is a central location for Veterans, Service Members, and their families to research, find, access, and, in time, manage their benefits and personal information. It provides quick access to eBenefits tools that allow you to apply for benefits, download your DD 214, view your benefits status, in addition to other actions as needed. A catalog of links to other sites that provide information about military and Veteran benefits is also provided.



GoArmyEd is the virtual gateway for all eligible active duty, National Guard and Army Reserve Soldiers to request Tuition Assistance (TA) online, anytime, anywhere for classroom and distance learning. It allows Soldiers to manage their education records including college classes, testing, on-duty classes and Army Education Counselor support.


You must apply through the appropriate UD Admissions Office. Prospective undergraduate students will find application information at; graduate student should refer to:

Please contact the Office of the Dean of Students at for specific information covering this question. 

Please contact the Office of the Dean of Students at for specific information covering this question. 

Eligible veterans who have a course deficiency may be eligible to receive reimbursement for payment to a tutor for individual tutoring. Visit the VA website at for more information and to obtain the Application and Enrollment Certification for Individualized Tutorial Assistance (VA Form 22-1990t). Free Tutorial Assistance is offered for many courses through UD's Office of Academic Enrichment located on campus. If you have additional questions, or need specific guidance, please contact their office by calling 302-831-4555 or send an email to

Yes, VA benefits must be reported and may be calculated in award packages. For further information, contact the UD Student Financial Services Office at 302-831-2126. 

For more information, please contact the Office of the Dean of Students at

If you are a transfer student and have used VA benefits at your previous college/university and would like to continue receiving the same benefits at UD, you don't need to reapply. You may submit a change of place of training form 22-1995 or 22-5495 (if you are a Ch. 35 dependent).

If you are a dependent of a veteran and will be receiving benefits under the Chapter 33 Post 9-11 transfer option, submit your VA certificate of eligibility.

The VA will reimburse the appropriate portion of tuition charged for classes. However, travel and study abroad fees cannot be reported to the VA under any circumstances.

For more information, please contact the Office of the Dean of Students at

Transfer Credit for Military Experience

The University of Delaware awards limited credit for military service. Students may receive physical education credit and either military science credit or air force science credit with completion of basic training and leadership training. Students must submit official documents, either the Joint Services Transcript or Community College of the Air Force transcript, to UD for evaluation. Students may earn up to 6 credits. For the list of courses, see the section Transfer Course Work From Other Institutions under Earning Enough Credits to Graduate in the University Catalog.

To have coursework evaluated, students should submit their official transcripts to the Admissions Office as part of the application process. Electronic transcripts should be password protected and sent directly from the appropriate institution to Official paper transcripts may be mailed to:

  • Office of Undergraduate Admissions
    University of Delaware
    210 South College Avenue
    Newark, DE 19716   USA

If you have already matriculated at the university but have not yet submitted your transcripts, you may still do so. Electronic transcripts should be password protected and sent directly from the appropriate institution to Official paper transcripts may be mailed to:

  • Registrar-Transfer Credit
    University of Delaware
    210 South College Avenue
    Newark, DE 19716   USA

For more information, please contact the Office of the Dean of Students at

For each class (seniors through freshmen) numerous enrollment blocks of appointments are created, based on earned hours, to manage the enrollment process fairly and efficiently. Veterans who are using G.I. Educational Benefits are given priority registration appointments within their class. For example, senior veterans are placed in a senior priority registration appointment and register before other seniors. Likewise, veterans in the other classes are assigned to the priority registration appointments of their class.