Dr. Barnes is a health services researcher and nationally-recognized expert on the nurse practitioner workforce. Her work examines the role of the nurse practitioner to improve care delivery and outcomes within the contexts of an evolving healthcare system and policy reform. She is also interested in role transition for the novice nurse practitioner and finding ways to support new nurse practitioners to ensure successful role transition experiences. She completed a T32 post-doctoral research fellowship in the Center for Health Outcomes and Policy Research at the University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing. She has expertise in secondary data analysis using large data sets, primary data collection, advanced statistical methods, and instrument development. Dr. Barnes is also nationally-certified as a family nurse practitioner.
- Ph.D., Widener University School of Nursing
- MSN, Family Nurse Practitioner, Widener University
- BSN, University of Pennsylvania
- BA, Skidmore College
- NURS 263 Health Assessment
- NURS 362 Research
- NURS 813 Leadership and Innovation in Population Health
- NURS 921 DNP Clinical Role Immersion
Barnes, H., Faraz Covelli, A., & Rubright, J. D. (in press). Development of the Novice Nurse Practitioner Role Transition Scale: An exploratory factor analysis. Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners.
Gaynor, B., & Barnes, H. (2021). Nurse practitioner preceptor plan: A focus on preceptor rewards and preferences. Nursing Education Perspectives. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NEP.0000000000000773
Cohen, C. C., Barnes, H., Buerhaus, P. I., Clarke, S. P., Donelan, K., Tubbs-Cooley, H. L., & Martsolf, G. R. (2020). Top priorities for the next decade of nursing health services re-search. Nursing Outlook. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.outlook.2020.12.004
Barnes, H., Martsolf, G. R., McHugh, M. D., & Richards, M. R. (2020). Vertical integration and physician practice labor composition. Medical Care Research and Review. https://doi.org/10.1177/1077558720972596
Barnes, H., Richards, M. R., Martsolf, G. R., Nikpay, S. S., & McHugh, M. R. (2020). Association between physician practice Medicaid acceptance and employing nurse practitioners and physician assistants: A longitudinal analysis. Health Care Management Review. https://doi.org/10.1097/HMR.0000000000000291 Buerhaus, P., Martsolf, G., Donelan, K., Clarke, S., Barnes, H., Cohen, C., & Tubbs Cooley, H. Nursing health services research agenda for the 2020s. Montana State University College of Nursing. November 2019.
Kandrack, R., Barnes, H., & Martsolf, G. (2019). Nurse practitioner scope of practice regulations and nurse practitioner supply. Medical Care Research and Review. https://doi.org/10.1177/1077558719888424
Cimiotti, J. P., Li, Y., Sloane, D. M., Barnes, H., Brom, H. M., & Aiken, L. H. (2019). Regulation of the nurse practitioner workforce: Implications for care across settings. Journal of Nursing Regulation, 10(2), 31-37. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2155-8256(19)30113-9
Barnes, H., & Novosel, L. M. (2018). A scoping review of nurse practitioner workforce data: Review two of a four-part series on critical topics identified by the 2015 Research Agenda Roundtable. Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, 30, 685-695. https://doi.org/10.1097/JXX.0000000000000069
Barnes, H., Richards, M. R., McHugh, M. D., & Martsolf, G. R. (2018). Rural and non-rural primary care physician practices increasingly rely on nurse practitioners. Health Affairs, 37, 908-914. https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2017.1158
Martsolf, G. R, Barnes, H., Richards, M. R., Ray, K. N., Brom, H. & McHugh, M. D. (2018). Employment of advanced practice clinicians in physician practices. JAMA Internal Medicine, 178, 988-900. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2018.1515
Barnes, H., Maier, C., Altares Sarik, D., Germack, H.D., Aiken, L.H., & McHugh, M.D. (2017). Effects of regulation and payment policies on nurse practitioners' clinical practices. Medical Care Research and Review, 74, 431-451. https://doi.org/10.1177/1077558716649109
Maier, C.B., Barnes, H., Aiken, L.H., & Busse, R. (2016). Descriptive, cross-country analysis of the nurse practitioner workforce in six countries: Size, growth, physician substitution potential. BMJ Open, 6(9), e011901. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2016-011901
Barnes, H. (2015). Nurse practitioner role transition: A concept analysis. Nursing Forum, 50, 137-146. https://doi.org/10.1111/nuf.12078
Brooks Carthon, J. M., Barnes, H., & Altares Sarik, D. (2015). Federal polices influence access to primary care and NP workforce. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 11, 526-530. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nurpra.2015.01.028
Barnes, H. (2015). Exploring the factors that influence nurse practitioner role transition. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 11, 178-183. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nurpra.2014.11.004
- University of Delaware School of Nursing. An examination of the impact of nurse practitioner employment in ambulatory physician practices on patient outcomes: A feasibility study, (PI: Barnes), 2017-2021. Role: Principal Investigator
- George Washington University School of Nursing. Psychometric testing and evaluation of the Novice Nurse Practitioner Role Transition Scale, (PI: Faraz Covelli), 2019-2020. Role: Co-Principal Investigator
- Sigma Theta Tau Phi Epsilon Chapter. Development of the Novice Nurse Practitioner Role Transition (NNPRT) Scale: A pilot study, (PI: Faraz Covelli), 2019-2020. Role: Co-Principal Investigator
- AcademyHealth New Investigator Small Grant Program. The longitudinal effect of scope of practice regulations on nurse practitioner supply, Medicaid acceptance, and access to care within physician practices, (PI: Barnes), 2016. Role: Principal Investigator
- Eastern Nursing Research Society. Nurse practitioner workforce distribution and the effect of state-level scope of practice regulations on practice characteristics, (PI: Barnes), 2014-2015. Role: Principal Investigator.
- Sigma Theta Tau Eta Beta Chapter. A study of nurse practitioner role transition through the examination of the specific relationships of desire for feedback, desire for control, and the number of years of prior registered nurse experience, (PI: Barnes), 2013-2014. Role: Principal Investigator.
- Excellence in Teaching Award (nomination), University of Delaware, 2020
- Delaware Top Nurse – “Advancing and Leading the Profession”, 2020
- Fellow of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, 2020
- Sigma Theta Tau Beta Xi Chapter Travel Award, University of Delaware, 2019
- Third Most-Shared Health Affairs Article, 2018:
Barnes, H., Richards, M. R., McHugh, M. D., & Martsolf, G. R. (2018). Rural and non-rural primary care physician practices increasingly rely on nurse practitioners. Health Affairs, 37, 908-914. doi:10.1377/hlthaff.2017.1158
- Third Place PhD Poster Eastern Nursing Research Society 26th Annual Scientific Sessions, 2014
- Dr. Mary B. Walker Honorary Scholarship, Widener University, 2013