Sharon Dudley-Brown has held several academic appointments, both nationally and internationally, and currently is the Director of the DNP and MSN Programs. She has worked as a Nurse Practitioner at several institutions over the past 25+ years, and currently sees patients and conducts research on patients with inflammatory bowel disease, at Johns Hopkins. She has published many peer-reviewed papers and abstracts in the fields of nursing and inflammatory bowel disease, and is currently a member of several editorial boards. She is a co-editor of a textbook on translation in evidence-based practice, entitled “Translation of evidence into nursing and health care”, published by Springer. She is a nationally recognized leader in gastroenterology nursing and serves in leadership capacities with several gastroenterology and nursing organizations such as the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America (CCFA) and the Society of Gastrointestinal Nurses and Associates. Specific to the CCFA, nationally, she is a contributing member of the Nurse & Advanced Practice Committee that reports to the Scientific Advisory Committee of the national CCFA. Locally, she is Co-Chair of the Mission Committee for the Maryland/Southern DE Chapter of the CCFA, providing oversight to educational programs to patients and providers within the chapter.
- PhD, University of Maryland
- MS, Medical College of Virginia
- BSN, University of Rochester
- Kamp, K., Wyatt, G., Dudley-Brown, S., Brittain, K., & Given, B. (2018). Using cognitive interviewing to improve questionnaires: An exemplar study focusing on individual and condition-specific factors. Applied Nursing Research, 43, 121-125.
- Kverno, K., Beauvois, L. & Dudley-Brown, S. (2018). Lamotrigine rash: Benign allergy or severe adverse reaction? Nurse Practitioner, 43 (3) 48-51.
- Velez, R., Richmond, E. & Dudley-Brown, S. (2017). Antibiogram, clinical practice guidelines, and treatment of urinary tract infection. Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 13 (9), 617-622.
- *Bettner, W., Rizzo, A. J., Brant, S., Dudley-Brown, S., Efron, J., Fang, S., Gearhart, S., Marohn, M. R., Parian, A., Pezhough, M.K., Melia, J., Safar, B., Wick, E., Truta, B. & Lazarev, M. (2018). Low incidence of dysplasia and colorectal cancer observed among inflammatory bowel disease patients with prolonged colonic diversion. Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, 24 (5), 1092-1098.
- *Eluri, S., Parian, A. M., Limketkai, B. N., Ha, C.Y., Brant, S. R., Dudley-Brown, S., Efron, J., Fang, S., Gearhart, S. L., Marohn, M. R., Meltzer, S. J., Bashar, S., Truta, B., Montgomery, E. A., & Lazarev, M. G. (2017). Nearly a third of high-grade dysplasia and colorectal cancer is undetected in patients with inflammatory bowel disease. Digestive Diseases and Sciences, 62 (12), 3586-3593.
- *Cai, J. X., Barrow, J., Parian, A., Bayless, T. M., Brant, S., Dudley-Brown, S., Efron, J., Fang, S., Gearhart, S., Marohn, M., Safar, B., Truta, B., Wick, E. & Lazarev, M. (in press). Routine Pouchoscopy prior to ileostomy Takedown may not be necessary in patients with chronic ulcerative colitis. Digestive Diseases, DOI: 10.1159/000475808.
- Dudley-Brown, S. (2017). Optimizing Inflammatory Bowel Disease Management. Gastroenterology Nursing, 40 (1S), S1-14.
- *Brant, S. R., Okou, D., Simpson, C., Cutler, D. J., Haritunians, T., Bradfield, J. P., Chopra, P., Prince, J., Begum, F., Kumar, A., Huang, C., Venkateawaran, S., Wei, Z., Thomas, K., Herrington, L. Klapproth, J. A., Quiros, A. J., Liu, Z., Alexander, J. S., Baldassano, R. N., Dudley-Brown, S., Cross, R., Dassapoulos, T., Dhere, T. A., Dryden, G. T., Hanson, J. S., Hou, J. K., Hassain, S. Z., Denson, L. A., Hyams, J., Mack, D., Isaacs, K. L., Kader, H., Kappleman, M. D., Katz, J., Kellermayer, R., Kirsner, B. S., Kuemmerle, J. F., Kwon, J. H., Li, E., Mannon, P., Moulton, P., Moulton, D. E., Newberry, R. D., Osuntokun, B. O., Patel, A., Saeed, S., Targan, S. R., Valentine, J., Wang, M. H., Lazarev, M., Zonca, M., Datta, L. W., Riopux, J. D., Duerr, R., Silverberg, M. S., Cho, J., Hakonarson, H., Zwick, M. E., McGovern, D. P. B., & Kugathasan, S. (2017). Genome-wide association identifies African-specific susceptibility loci in African Americans with Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Gastroenterology. Jan; 152(1):206-217. pii: S0016-5085(16)35127-7. DOI: 10.1053/j.gastro.2016.09.032.
- *Kwon, H. J., Dudley-Brown, S., Williams, M., Sullivan, M. M., & Schultz, M. (2016). Validation of a simple, patient directed, symptom based index for intestinal inflammation. Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology & Treatment, 2(2), 020.
- *Redulla, R. R., Reddy, K. R., Faust, T. W. & Dudley-Brown, S. (2015). Project PEACH (Pathway and education toward adherence and completion in hepatitis C therapy): A nurse-driven evidence-based protocol. Gastroenterology Nursing, 38(5), 369-378.
- Stollman, N., Smalley, W., Hirano, I., & AGA Institute Clinical Guidelines Committee. (2015). American Gastroenterological Association Institute Guideline on the Management of Acute Diverticulitis. Gastroenterology. Oct 8. pii: S0016-5085(15), 01432-8. doi: 10.1053/j.gastro.2015.10.003.
- Yang Y. X., Brill, J., Krishnan, P., Leontiadis, G., & AGA Institute Clinical Guidelines Committee. (2015). American Gastroenterological Association Institute Guideline on the Role of Upper Gastrointestinal Biopsy to Evaluate Dyspepsia in the Adult Patient in the Absence of Visible Mucosal Lesions. Gastroenterology, 149(4), 1082-7. doi: 10.1053/j.gastro.2015.07.039.
- Rubenstein, J. H., Enns, R., Heidelbaugh, J., Barkun, A., & AGA Clinical Guidelines Committee. (2015). American Gastroenterological Association Institute Guideline on the Diagnosis and Management of Lynch Syndrome. Gastroenterology, 149(3), 777-82, quiz e16-7. doi: 10.1053/j.gastro.2015.07.036.
- Vege, S. S., Ziring, B., Jain, R., Moayyedi, P., & AGA Clinical Guidelines Committee. (2015). American Gastroenterological Association Institute Guideline on the Diagnosis and Management of Asymptomatic Neoplastic Pancreatic Cysts, Gastroenterology, 148, 819-822.
- Melmed, G. Y., Siegel, C. A., Spiegel, B. M., Allen, J. I., Cima, R., Colombel, J. F., Dassopoulos, T., Denson, L. A., Dudley-Brown, S., Garb, A., Hanauer, S. B., Kappelman, M. D., Lewis, J. D., Lynch, I., Moynihan, A., Rubin, D. T., Sartor, R. B., Schwartz, R. M., Wolf, D. C., & Ullman, T. A. (2013). Quality indicators for inflammatory bowel disease: Development of process and outcome measures. Inflammatory Bowel Disease, 19(3), 662-8.
- Terdiman, J. P., Gruss, C. B., Heiidelbaugh, J. J., Sultan, S., Falck-Ytter, Y. T., & AGA Institute Clinical Practice and Quality Management Committee. (2013). American Gastroenterological Association Institute Guideline on the use of thiopurines, methotrexate, and anti-TNF-a biologic drugs for the induction and maintenance of remission in inflammatory Crohn’s disease. Gastroenterology, 145, 1459-1463.
- IMMUNITY (A Phase 3, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Parallel-group, Multicenter study to Evaluate the Safety and Efficacy of Ustekinumab Maintenance Therapy in Subjects with Moderately to Severely Active Crohn’s Disease), Principal Investigator: Steven Brant, MD, Co-Investigator & Research Coordinator, 10% effort, Janssen Research & Development, CNT01275CRD3003, 2013-2016.
- High-Dose Cyclophosphamide for Severe Refractory Crohn’s Disease, Principal Investigator: Mark Lazarev, MD, Research coordinator, 5% effort, private donor, 2014-2015.
- Fellow, American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, 2018
- Miller-Coulson Academy of Clinical Excellence (MCACE), winner of the 3rd Annual Miller-Coulson Nurse Practitioner / Physician Assistant Clinical Excellence Award, Johns Hopkins University, 2017
- Fellow, American Academy of Nursing, 2012