Regina Sims Wright
REGINA SIMS WRIGHT, PHD
516 Tower at STAR
Dr. Regina Wright is a psychologist and professor in the School of Nursing at the University of Delaware. Dr. Wright earned a B.A. in Psychology from the University of Delaware, an M.S. in Experimental Psychology from Villanova University, and a Ph.D. in Research Neuropsychology from Howard University. Her program of research is focused on examining relations between cardiovascular risk factors and cognitive function among older adults, with a specific interest in patterns of association in African Americans. She has published widely in gerontological, neuropsychological, neurological, and special population journals.
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Duke University (Center for the Study of Aging and Human Development)
- Ph.D., Howard University (Neuropsychology)
- M.S., Villanova University (Experimental Psychology)
- B.A., University of Delaware (Psychology)
- Instructor- NURS814: Advanced Quantitative Methods in Nursing Science
- Instructor- NURS835: Nurse Scientist Special Topics Seminar III
- Instructor- NURS812: Responsible Conduct of Research
- Instructor- NURS362: Research Concepts in Healthcare
- Instructor- HLTH367: College of Health Sciences Honors Seminar
- Instructor- NURS366: Independent Study/Health Disparities Seminar
Gaynor, B., Habermann, B., & Wright, R.S.(2018). Waist circumference measurement diffusion in primary care: A mixed-methods study. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners.
Chai,S.C., Davis, K., Wright, R.S., Kuczmarski, M.F., & Zhang, Z. (2018). Tart cherry juice reduces systolic blood pressure in older adults. Food & Function, 9, 3185-3194.
Aiken-Morgan, A.T., Gamaldo, A.A., Wright, R.S., Allaire, J.C., & Whitfield, K.E. (2018). Stability and change in cognitive status classification among African American older adults. Journal of the American Geriatric Society, 66,179-183.
- *Wright, R.S., Waldstein, S.R., Kuczmarski, M.F., Pohlig, R.T., Gerassimakis, C.S., Gaynor, B., Evans, M.K., & Zonderman, A.B. (in press). Diet quality and cognitive function in an urban sample: findings from HANDLS. Public Health Nutrition.
- *Wright, R.S., ^Sniscak, C.R., & Ford, C.D. (2016). Older adult awareness of the influence of cardiovascular disease risk factors on cognitive function. International Journal of Older People Nursing.
- Wright, R.S., Cole, A.P., Ali, M.K., Whitfield, K.E., Skinner, J., Mwendwa, D.T. (Accepted). Examining the influence of obesity on executive function and memory in middle age and older African Americans Archives of Clinical Neuropsychology.
- Hill, L.K., Sims Wright, R., Aiken-Morgan, A.T., Gamaldo, Al., Edwards, C.L., & Whitfield, K.E. (2015). Perceived control predicts pulse pressure in African American Men. Ethnicity & Disease, 25(3), 263-270.
- Sims, R.C., ^Levy, S.T., Katzel, L.I., Rosenberger, W.F., Manukyan, Z., Whitfield, K.E., & Waldstein, S.R. (2015). Fasting glucose, glucose tolerance, and neurocognitive function relations among non-diabetic older adults. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology, 37(1), 49-60.
- ^Ali, M., Mwendwa, D. T., Sims, R., Ricks, M., Callender, C., & Sumner, A.E. (2014). Age at immigration and kidney function among self-identified healthy Africans in the United States. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health.
- Gholson, G.K., Mwendwa, D.T., Sims, R.C., Callender, C.O., & Campbell, A.L. (2015). Psychosocial factors in the decline of renal functioning. Ethnicity & Disease, 25, 117-122.
- Aiken-Morgan, A.T., Gamaldo, A.A., Sims, R.C., Allaire, J.C., & Whitfield, K.E. (2015). Education desegregation and cognitive change in African American older adults. The Journals of Gerontology, Series B: Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences, 70, 348-356.
- Sims, R.C., Thorpe, R., Aiken-Morgan, A., Gamaldo, A., Allaire, J.C., Hill, Labarron, & Whitfield, K.E. (2014). Cognition and health in African American men. Journal of Aging and Health, 27, 195-219.
- Shin, J.Y., Sims, R.C., ^Bradley, D.L., Pohlig, R., & Harrison, B.E. (2014). Prevalence of depressive symptoms and associated factors in older adult residents of public housing. Research in Gerontological Nursing, 7, 249-255.
- ^Ali, M.K., Mwendwa, D.T., Sims, R.C., & Whitfield, K.E. (2014). The association between mindfulness, depressive symptoms and neuroticism in older African Americans. Journal of Depression and Anxiety: special issue on depression and aging, S1, 001.
- National Institute of General Medical Sciences (NIGMS)/Delaware IDeA Networks of Biomedical Research Excellence (INBRE). Diet quality, inflammation, race, and cognition: an analysis of HANDLS, 2014-2016. Role: Principal Investigator (pilot proposal).
- University of Delaware Research Foundation General University Research (GUR). Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors and Cognitive Function Relations among Middle Age and Older African Americans, 2014-2016. Role: Principal Investigator.
- National Institute of General Medical Sciences: Center of Biomedical Research (COBRE). Subclinical cardiovascular disease, brain, and cognition, 2014. Role: Principal investigator.
- California Table Grape Commission. Effects of whole grape on cardiovascular disease risk factors, cognitive function, and emotional status in postmenopausal women, 2015. Role: Co-investigator.
- Cherry Research Committee/Cherry Marketing Institute. Daily tart cherry consumption improves cognitive function, emotional status and cardiovascular disease risk factors in older adults, 2014. Role: Co-investigator.
- Ingleside Homes, Inc. Mental Health Screening of Urban Older Adults Living in Public Housing, 2012-2013. Role: Co-investigator.
- Gerard J. Mangone Young Scholars Award (Nominated), University of Delaware, 2014
- College of Health Sciences Research Excellence Award (Nominated), University of Delaware, 2014
- National Institute of Diabetes Digestive and Kidney Disorders (NIDDK)/Network of Minority Health Research Investigators (NMRI), 12th Annual Workshop Travel Award, 2014
- National Institute of Diabetes Digestive and Kidney Disorders (NIDDK)/Network of Minority Health Research Investigators (NMRI), 11th Annual Workshop Travel Award, 2013
- National Center for Faculty Diversity and Development Faculty Success Boot Camp, Competitive award from the UD President’s Diversity Initiative, 2012
- Cognitive aging
- Health disparities