Ju Young Shin
Dr. Shin’s program of research focuses on symptom management of Parkinson’s disease, including medication adherence and chronic disease management in later life, for which she has received both extramural and internal funding. Her methodological expertise broadly ranges from qualitative study to meta-analysis. She teaches courses focused on Gerontological Nursing and practices as a certified adult nurse practitioner at the University of Delaware Nurse Managed Primary Care Center.
- PhD, University of Iowa, Adult and Gerontological Nursing
- Pre-doctoral Fellow, American Heart Association, Heartland Affiliation, University of Iowa
- Post-master’s certificate in Adult Nurse Practitioner program, Duke University
- NURS 253 Health and Physical Assessment Lab
- NURS 810 Philosophical and Theoretical Basis of Nursing Science
- NURS 816 Advanced Qualitative Research in Nursing Science
- NURS 839 Nurse Scientist Seminar
- NURS 818 Advanced Nursing Science
- NURS 886 Evidence-based Practice II: Translation
- NURS 695 Primary Care of Frail/Older Adults
- NURS 696 012 Practicum of Primary Care of Frail/Older Adults
- Shin, J.Y., Pohlig, R., & Habermann, B. (2018). Self-reported health status of individuals with advanced Parkinson’s disease and their caregivers: A pilot study. Research in Gerontological Nursing. https://doi.org/10.3928/19404921-20180329-01
- Shin, J.Y., Pohlig, R., & Habermann, B. (In press). Beliefs about use of complementary health approaches in Parkinson’s disease. Holistic Nursing Practice.
- Shin, J.Y., Pohlig, R., & Habermann, B. (2017). Use of complementary health approaches in people with Parkinson’s disease. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 43(2), 46-54. doi: 10.3928/00989134-20161109-04
- Shin, J.Y., & Habermann, B. (2016). Nursing Research in Parkinson’s disease from 2006 to 2015: A systematic review. Clinical Nursing Research. doi: 10.1177/1054773816634912.
- Shin, J.Y., & Habermann, B. (2016). Medication adherence in people with Parkinson’s disease: Literature review. Journal of Neuroscience Nursing, 48(4), 185-194. doi: 10.1097/JNN.0000000000000198 (selected for CEU offering).
- Shin, J.Y., Pohlig, R., & Habermann, B. (2016). Self-reported symptoms of Parkinson’s disease by sex and disease duration. Western Journal of Nursing Research. doi:10.1177/0193945916670904
- Habermann, B., & Shin, J.Y. (2016). Preferences and concerns for care needs in advanced Parkinson’s disease: A qualitative study of dyads. Journal of Clinical Nursing. doi: 10.1111/jocn.13565
- Shin, J.Y., & Habermann, B. (2016). Initiation of medications for Parkinson’s disease – A qualitative description. The Journal of Clinical Nursing, 25(1-2), 127-133. doi: 10.1111/jocn.13009
- Shin, J.Y., Habermann, B., & Pretzer-Aboff, I. (2015). Challenges and strategies of medication adherence in Parkinson’s disease: A qualitative study. Geriatric Nursing, 36(3), 192-196. doi: 10.1016/j.gerinurse.2015.01.003
- Shin, J.Y., Sims, R., Bradley, D., Pohlig, R., & Harrison, B. (2014). Prevalence of depressive symptoms and associated factors in older adult public housing residents. Research in Gerontological Nursing, 7(6), 249-255. doi: 10.3928/19404921-20140708-01 (selected for free PMC article in PubMed).
- The National Institute of Health, 1R01MD010354-01. Reducing Health Disparities in Seriously Mentally Ill, Rural and Minority Populations, 2016-2019. Role: Co-investigator.
- The University of Delaware General University Research. Complementary and alternative medicine use in people with Parkinson’s disease, 2014-2016. Role: PI.
- Gerontological Advanced Practice Nurses Association Foundation annual research grant Medication-Taking Behavior in People with Parkinson’s disease, 2013-2014. Role: PI.
- Ingleside, Inc. through The Speer Trust, Borkee-Hagley Foundation and Laffey-McHugh Foundation, and The Christmas Shop. Mental Health Screening in Public Housing for Urban Older Adults, 2012. Role: Co-I.
- Gerard J. Mangone Young Scholar Award (Nominated), University of Delaware, 2016
- Nominee, Excellence in Research Award (Nominated), Gerontological Advanced Practice Nurses Association National Foundation, 2016
- Summer Research Scholars Program at the John A. Hartford Institute, New York University College of Nursing, 2014
- Faculty Success Program, The National Center for Faculty Development and Diversity, University of Delaware President’s Diversity Initiative, 2014
- Excellence in Teaching Award (Nominated), University of Delaware, 2016
- Excellence in Advising Award (Nominated), College of Health Sciences, University of Delaware, 2016
- Winner of the Education Poster Award (1st place) at the 34th Annual Gerontological Advanced Practice Nurses Association in St. Antonio, TX, 2015
- Visiting Nurse Faculty, Edmond J. Safra Edmond Foundation, Parkinson’s disease education at Johns Hopkins University and at the University of Pennsylvania, Movement Disorder Center, 2013
- Outstanding reviewer recognition from the Geriatric Nursing, 2016