Current Retirees

This webpage is intended for current University of Delaware retirees. If you are a retiree enrolled in the State Employees' Pension Plan (SEPP) please visit the State of Delaware Office of Pensions website.  

Retiree Healthcare Newsletter

This Newsletter is intended for the State of Delaware Pension Retirees, but it does contain information that is also relevant to the University of Delaware (403(b)/TIAA) Retirees. Please be aware that the DPERS App is not accessible to the University of Delaware Retirees and any updates or changes to addresses should be submitted to

Retiree Healthcare Newsletter

UD Retiree Benefit Information

Health Insurance information

Medicare Plan for retirees 65 years old and over

Dental: Dental Plan through the State of Delaware

Vision: UD Vision benefits

Helpful Resources

Secure Document Submission

  • Please use the Secure Document Submission Form to provide HR with important documents. Log-in with your Employee ID and password and follow the directions on the form.   

Medicare Eligible Supplement Rates for Retiree and/or Spouse

  Total Monthly Rate University Share Employee/Retiree Share
Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield Delaware Special Medicfill WITH Prescription
Retiree and/or Spouse $482.36 $458.24 $24.12
Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield Delaware Special Medicfill WITHOUT Prescription
Retiree and/or Spouse $273.46 $259.79 $13.67  
Medicare Supplement plans are provided at no cost for UD retirees who retired on or before 7/1/2012.
HBCBSD Special Medicfill WITHOUT prescription is offered for Medicare participants enrolled in a separate Medicare Part D plan.

Qualifying life events are the following:

  • You marry or divorce;
  • Your spouse’s employment status changes;
  • Your spouse or your dependent child dies;
  • Your dependents become ineligible for coverage;
  • You turn age 65 and become eligible for Medicare.

You have up to 30 days from the date of the event to add/remove a spouse and/or dependent. Benefits will be retroactive to the date of birth, adoption, marriage, or date of loss of other coverage.

In the event of such a change, follow these steps:

  • Complete a Retiree Family Status Change Form
  • Submit the form and supporting documents to or through our secure site found at the top of the forms page
  • For Medicare enrollment, we encourage you to apply for your Medicare A & B coverage three months before you are eligible.  The effective date for Medicare coverage is the first of the month you turn age 65.  Waiting to apply within the 30- day life event period, may result in duplicate coverage.

For questions, please email or call 302-831-2171.

Retirement Programs

The 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan for faculty affords a variety of payout options at retirement. Please refer to the 403(b) Retirement Plan Annual Contribution Limits for information about IRS limits that are applicable to the plan. There are various income options at retirement, including lifetime annuity income, fixed period annuities, deferred income, systematic withdrawals, lump sum withdrawals, and interest-only payments. Virtual one-on-one counseling sessions are available by retirement plan advisors. Contact Fidelity Investments (phone: 800-343-0860) and/or TIAA (phone: 800-842-2776) to schedule an appointment.

Death Benefit

For employees retired on or after July 1, 1994, the University provides a $7,000 death benefit at no cost to the retiree (assuming no duplicate coverage with the State Pension Plan).

Health Insurance
Retirees and their spouses under age 65 may continue their Highmark Blue Cross/Blue Shield or Aetna coverage at the same cost as active employees. At age 65, a retiree or a spouse may apply for an individual Highmark Blue Cross/Blue Shield plan that is supplemental to Medicare and includes participation in prescription drug coverage at the same levels as active employees. The University pays 95% of the cost of this Medicare supplement for the retiree  and/or spouse; however, eligible retirees and their spouses are required to also participate in Medicare A & B. The surviving spouse of a deceased retiree is also entitled to continued coverage.

Tuition remission Program
The biological or adopted dependent children and/or spouse of University retirees are eligible for the Tuition Remission Program. The student must be a full-time matriculated undergraduate student at UD.

Course Fee Waiver
A retiree is eligible for 2 course fee waivers (up to 4 credits each) per semester (with a maximum of 6 per calendar year) for study at UD. Eligible retirees may transfer this benefit to a spouse or dependent child.

Tuition Exchange Program
University retirees are eligible to apply for scholarships for their dependent children through the Tuition Exchange Program, a reciprocal program with more than 600 other colleges and universities.

Wellness Dollars
University retirees are eligible to use 75 Wellness Dollars each fiscal year toward approved Wellness activities.

University Transit Services
Retirees may travel by University bus without cost within the Newark area and off-campus to regularly scheduled destinations.

Life Insurance
Retirees who meet the University’s age and service criteria have a one-time opportunity at retirement to continue part of their group life insurance coverage at their own cost. The retiree life insurance plan is renewable term insurance which decreases in amount as the retiree reaches higher age brackets.

Long-term Care Insurance
Retirees may apply to participate in the University’s Group Long-Term Care insurance program through Genworth. Policies may also be issued to extended family members (e.g., parents, in-laws, grandparents, etc). Acceptance will be subject to underwriting approval. Participants pay the full cost for this insurance and are billed directly by  the carrier. The plan provides coverage for a variety of services such as nursing home care, home health care and adult day care.

Dental Insurance
University retirees and their eligible dependents have the opportunity to join the State of Delaware dental program with either Dominion Dental or Delta Dental. Retirees pay the full cost for their dental plan coverage.

Vision Program
Retirees and their eligible dependents may participate in the University’s vision program through National Vision Administrators (NVA). Retirees pay the full cost for the vision plan coverage.

Parking Privileges
University retirees may apply for a free Central-lot parking permit through Parking Services (831-1184). If retirees prefer to upgrade to another parking permit, they should contact Parking Services. If an upgraded permit is issued, the retiree will pay the difference in cost over a Central-lot permit.

University ID Card
Retirees may continue to use their University ID card to access services such as use of the Library, Carpenter Athletic Facilities/Equipment, and cultural and recreational events at employee rates.

The Human Resources staff is available to help with any questions you have about retiree benefits. You can speak with a representative by calling (302) 831-2171 or email us at