XIAOPENG JI, PHD, MSN, MA, RN
508 Tower at STAR
My program of research focuses on sleep health in community-based populations. Specifically, I have examined the impact of nighttime sleep, chronotype, circadian misalignment and midday napping on multiple health outcomes, such as neurobehavioral function, cardiovascular risk factors and pain perception, using behavioral measurements and salivary biomarkers. In addition, my prior work has integrated serum micronutrient status with sleep disturbances to understand lifestyle risk factors for neurobehavioral development in adolescents. As a nurse scientist with methodological expertise in technology-based interventions, I have also involved in symptom management programs for ethnic minority women. I teach in the undergraduate program in the area of population health, global health, and evidence-based practice.
- PhD, University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing, Philadelphia, PA
- MA in Statistics, University of Pennsylvania Wharton School, Philadelphia, PA
- MSN, Second Military Medical University School of Nursing, Shanghai, China
- BSN, Southeast University School of Nursing, Nanjing, China
- NURS 120: Population Health
- NURS 235: Heath, Vulnerability, and Diversity
- NURS 262: Healthcare Research and Evidence-Based Practice
- NURS 418: Public and Global Health
- Ji, X., Saylor, J., & Earle, F. S. (2021). Sufficient sleep attenuates COVID-19 pandemic-related executive dysfunction in late adolescents and young adults. Sleep medicine, 85, 21-24.
- Ji, X., Compher, C. W., Irving, S. Y., Kim, J., Dinges, D. F., & Liu, J. (2021). Serum Micronutrient Status, Sleep Quality and Neurobehavioral function among Early Adolescents. Public Health Nutrition, 1-27.
- Ji, X., Wang, Y., & Saylor, J. (2021). Sleep and type 1 diabetes mellitus management among children, adolescents, and emerging young adults: A systematic review. Journal of Pediatric Nursing, 61, 245-253.
- Bowen, M., Ji, X., & Griffioen, M. A. (In press). Poor sleep predicts increased pain perception among adults with mild cognitive impairment. Nursing Research.
- Liu, J., Ji, X., Wang, G., Li, Y., Leung, P. W., & Pinto-Martin, J. (2020). Maternal emotions during the pre/postnatal periods and children's sleep behaviors: the mediating role of children's behavior. Journal of Affective Disorders.
- Cui, N., Ji, X., Li, J., Cui, N., & Wang, G. (2020). Associated factors of habitual midday napping among Chinese adolescents. Sleep and Biological Rhythms, 1-11.
- Yang, Y., Liu, W., Ji, X., Ma, C., Wang, X., Li, K., & Li, J. (2020). Extended afternoon naps are associated with hypertension in women but not in men. Heart & Lung, 49(1), 2-9.
- Chee, W., Lee, Y., Ji, X., Chee, E., & Im, E. O. (2020). The Preliminary Efficacy of a Technology-Based Cancer Pain Management Program Among Asian American Breast Cancer Survivors. CIN: Computers, Informatics, Nursing, 38(3), 139-147.
- Ji, X., Cui, N., & Liu, J. (2019). Using propensity score matching with doses in observational studies: An example from a child physical abuse and sleep quality study. Research in Nursing & Health, 42(6), 436-445.
- Ji, X., Saylor, J., & Liu, J. (2019). The interactive effect of habitual midday napping and nighttime sleep duration on impaired fasting glucose risk in healthy adolescents. Sleep Medicine, 64, 77-84.
- Liu, J., Feng, R., Ji, X., Cui, N., Raine, A., & Mednick, S. C. (2019). Midday napping in children: Associations between nap frequency and duration across cognitive, positive psychological well-being, behavioral, and metabolic health outcomes. Sleep. In press.
- Saylor, J., Ji, X., Calamaro, C., Davey, A. (2019). Does Sleep Duration, Napping, and Social Jetlag Predict Hemoglobin A1c among College Students with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus? Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice.
- Ji, X., Li, J., & Liu, J. (2019). The relationship between midday napping and neurocognitive function in early adolescents. Behavioral Sleep Medicine, 17(5), 537-551.
- Sun, Q., Ji, X., Zhou, W., & Liu, J. (2019). Sleep problems in shift nurses: A brief review and recommendations at both individual and institutional levels. Journal of Nursing Management, 27(1), 10-18.
- Ji, X., Li, J, Liu, J. (2018). The Relationship between Midday Napping and Neurocognitive Function in Early Adolescents. Behavioral Sleep Medicine,16 (2). [Epub ahead of print]
- Sun, Q., Ji, X., Liu, J. (2018). Sleep problems in shift nurses: a brief review and recommendations at both individual and institutional levels. Journal of Nursing Management. [Epub ahead of print]
- Cui, N., Ji, X., &Liu, J. (2017). Child physical abuse, non-anemic iron deficiency and behavior problems among Chinese children. Journal of Pediatric Nursing. [Epub ahead of print]
- Liu, J., Wang, G., Ji, X. et al. (2017). Agreement between parent-reports and child self-reports of sleep problems in Chinese children. Sleep and Biological Rhythms, 16(3):283-291.
- Ji, X., Cui, N., & Liu, J. (2017). Neurocognitive Function Is Associated With Serum Iron Status in Early Adolescents. Biological Research For Nursing, 19(3), 269-277.
- Ji, X., Grandner, M. A., & Liu, J. (2017). The relationship between micronutrient status and sleep patterns: a systematic review. Public health nutrition, 20(4), 687-701.
- Im, E. O., Kim, S., Ji, X., Park, S., Chee, E., Chee, W., & Tsai, H. M. (2017). Improving menopausal symptoms through promoting physical activity: a pilot Web-based intervention study among Asian Americans. Menopause, 24(6), 653-662.
- Ji, X., & Liu, J. (2016). Subjective sleep measures for adolescents: a systematic review. Child: care, health and development, 42 (6), 825–839.
- Liu, J., Liu, X., Ji, X., Wang, Y., Zhou, G., & Chen, X. (2016). Sleep disordered breathing symptoms and daytime sleepiness are associated with emotional problems and poor school performance in children. Psychiatry research, 242, 218-225.
- Chee, W., Kim, S., Ji, X., Park, S., Chee, E., Tsai, H. M., & Im, E. O. (2016). The effect of a culturally tailored web-based physical activity promotion program on Asian American midlife women’s depressive symptoms. Asian/Pacific Island Nursing Journal, 1(4), 162-173.
- Im, E. O., Ji, X., Zhang, J., Kim, S., Lee, Y., Chee, E., … & Schapira, M. (2016). Issues in Developing and Evaluating a Culturally Tailored Internet Cancer Support Group. CIN: Computers, Informatics, Nursing, 34(10), 462-469.
- Im, E. O., Lee, Y., Ji, X., Zhang, J., Kim, S., Chee, E., … & Shapira, M. M. (2016). Internet Recruitment of Asian American Breast Cancer Survivors. Advances in Nursing Science, 39(3), E17-E27.
- Ji, X., & Liu, J. (2015). Associations between blood zinc concentrations and sleep quality in childhood: A Cohort Study. Nutrients, 7(7), 5684-5696.
- Zhou, G., Ji, X., Cui, N., Cao, S., Liu, C., & Liu, J. (2015). Association between serum copper status and working memory in schoolchildren. Nutrients, 7(9), 7185-7196.
- American Nurses Foundation. Cardiovascular risk assessment among late Adolescents: sleep variability, napping and inflammatory biomarkers. 09/2018-10/2019. Role: Principal Investigator.
- NIH. Perceptual learning and memory consolidation in adults with and without language impairment (PI: Sayako Earle). 07/2018-06/2021. Role: Co-investigator
- General University Research Program. University of Delaware. The relationship among sleep, executive function and diabetes management in late adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes. 06/2018-06/2020. Role: Principal Investigator.
- Office of Nursing Research Award University of Pennsylvania. Midday Napping, Nighttime Sleep and Neurocognitive Function in Adolescents, 2016-2017. Role: Principal Investigator.
- Office of Nursing Research Award University of Pennsylvania. The relationship between serum micronutrients, sleep quality and daytime functioning in adolescents, 2015-2016. Role: Principal Investigator.
- The Dorothy Mereness Award. University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing. 2017