Dr. Covington’s program of research focuses on sleep and health outcomes in socioeconomically disadvantaged families. She is interested in identifying multi-level determinants of sleep health in hopes of ascertaining modifiable intervention targets to improve family sleep and overall health outcomes. She is clinically trained as a Pediatric ICU nurse and maintains her practice as an RN at Sinai Hospital of Baltimore. She teaches Nursing Care of Children and Professional Nursing Practice in the Undergraduate Program.
- MS, Clinical Nurse Leader, University of Maryland School of Nursing, Baltimore, MD
- BA, Franklin and Marshall College, Lancaster, PA
- PhD, University of Maryland School of Nursing
- NURS 356: Care of Children and Families
- NURS 337 Nursing Care of Children
- NURS 357 Nursing Care of Children Practicum
- NURS 233 Professional Nursing Practice
Covington LB, Armstrong B, and Black MM. (in press) Bed Sharing in Toddlerhood: Choice Versus Necessity and Provider Guidelines. Global Pediatric Health.
Covington LB, Rogers VE, Armstrong B, Storr CL and Black MM. (in press) Toddler Bedtime Routines and Associations with Nighttime Sleep Duration, Maternal and Household Factors. Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine.
Covington LB, Rogers VE and Black MM. Sleep Measurement in a Low-income Sample of Toddlers. Journal of Developmental and Behavioural Pediatrics. 2019; 40(3): 219-223. doi: 10.1097/DBP.000000000000065.
Armstrong B, Covington LB, Unick J and Black MM. Bidirectional Effects of Sleep and Sedentary Behavior Among Toddlers: A Dynamic Multilevel Modelling Approach. Journal of Pediatric Psychology. 2019; 44(3): 275-285. doi: 10.1093/jpepsy/jsy089.
- Covington, LB, Armstrong, B., and Black, MM (2018). Perceived Toddler Sleep Problems, Co-sleeping and Maternal Sleep and Mental Health. Journal of Developmental & Behavioural Pediatrics. 2018; 39(3):238-245.
- Hager, ER., Calamaro CJ., Bentley LM., Hurley, KM., Wang, Y., and Black MM (2016). Nighttime Sleep Duration and Sleep Behaviors among Toddlers from Low-Income Families: Associations with Obesogenic Behaviors and Obesity and the Role of Parenting. Childhood Obesity. 2016; 12(5): 392-400.
- General University of Research Grant, University of Delaware. Identifying Multi-level Determinants of Child Sleep Health in Under-resourced Families, 2019-2021. Role: Principle Investigator.
- University of Delaware School of Nursing. Exploration of Sleep Concordance in Under-resourced Parent-child Dyads, 2018-2019. Role: Principle Investigator.
- Sigma Theta Tau International, Pi Chapter Doctoral Student Award. Exploration of toddler sleep and maternal sleep/mental health in low-income families at risk for sleep disparities, 2016-2018. Role: Principle Investigator.
- Center for Innovative Health Research Interdisciplinary GOLD Research Grant. Sleep and Diet Quality Among Families with Preschoolers, 2020-2021. Role: Co-principle Investigator.
- Nominated for the University of Delaware Excellence in Teaching Award in 2020
- 2018 Karen Soeken Excellence in Dissertation Award
- 2017 Sigma Theta Tau International Rising Star of Research and Scholarship Award
- 2016-2017 Biology and Behaviour Across the Life Span Canter of Excellence ResearchFacilitation Award, University of Maryland School of Nursing
- 2016 Maryland Sleep Society 7th Annual Conference Best Poster Award
- 2014-2016 Jonas Scholar for Excellence in Nursing Leadership