Welcome to the University of Delaware
UD Human Resources’ goal is for all employees to have an outstanding employment experience. It’s important to feel supported and informed as you embark on your career at the University of Delaware.
As a new employee, there is a lot to learn and do, the information below will provide you with the knowledge and resources to guide you along while you become acclimated to being a Blue Hen.
You will receive an onboarding invitation via email after you have accepted your offer. This will allow you to create your UD ID and email, officially joining the UD Community.
A second email will be sent with the details of your onboarding appointment. Our onboarding team will meet with you and help you prepare for your first day as a Blue Hen.
If you need assistance before your appointment, check out the Before Your Appointment section below.
During your appointment
At your onboarding appointment, your onboarding specialist, will assist you in getting started at UD and answer any questions you may have.
To make the most of your appointment, remember to bring your required documents for the I-9 and your best smile for your UD identification card photo.
Benefit Information and Eligibility
Within one week after your onboarding is complete, you will gain access to Flexnet, the benefits enrollment system. You must login to the system to select benefits. Please watch your University of Delaware email account for the New Hire Benefit Enrollment Instructions.
Please use your Username and Password to begin enrollment.
The following employee categories are eligible for coverage under the University’s health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance as well as tuition benefits and pension/retirement plans.
- Full-Time Faculty: academic position classified as full-time under the terms and conditions of the AAUP Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Full-Time Staff: non-faculty position with a work schedule of 37.5 to 40.0 hours per week for at least nine (9) months during a period of twelve (12) consecutive months.
- Defined-Term Full-Time Staff: non-faculty position with a work schedule of 37.5 to 40.0 hours per week for a duration greater than twelve (12) consecutive months, but less than thirty-six (36) consecutive months.
- Temporary Full-Time Staff: non-faculty position with a work schedule of 37.5 to 40.0 hours per week for a duration not longer than twelve (12) consecutive months.
- Visiting faculty and visiting exempt staff: Benefits eligibility is limited to health, dental, vision insurances, course fee waiver and ID card privileges.
- Part-time faculty and staff: in benefits-eligible positions prior to 2016 are eligible for the full compliments of University benefits, but at a reduced contribution level and half of the full-time equivalent tuition benefits.
Who Can Use UD Benefits
Dependents (your spouse and your children up to age 26) may be covered under the health, dental, vision and dependent life insurance plans or apply for UD educational benefits.
Flexible Benefits: Annually in May; plan year July 1–June 30
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA): Annually in November; plan year January 1–December 31
Changes that can be made during annual Flexible Benefits enrollment:
- Change to a different health plan option;
- Enroll in a health, dental or vision plan if you declined coverage previously;
- Add or remove dependents (i.e. change your coverage level);
- Drop coverage for health, dental or vision insurance;
- Change to a different level of disability and/or life insurance.
Benefits Effective Date
Employees with a hire date on the first day of the month, will have benefits effective the first day of the month. Those with a hire date after the first day of the month, will have benefits effective the first day of the following month.
(Health, prescription drug, dental, vision, life and disability insurance)
Online Vendor Access
See our website for a full listing of vendor contact information
UD system views and transactions
Flexible Spending Accounts: January 1-December 31
Flexible Benefits (medical,, dental, vision, life and disability insurance): July 1-June 30
The following are benefits-related videos:
- An Introduction to UD Benefits
- Medical Insurance and Prescription Plans
- Core Benefits and Spousal Policy
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Retirement Plans
- Tuition Benefits
Congratulations on taking the next step in your career! We are thrilled to be part of your journey with the University of Delaware.
We hope you’ll ask questions and try new things. UD is a big supporter of continued learning and development for our students AND employees through in-person and online training.
We also pride ourselves on making people feel welcome here. Check out our exciting sports events, join employee resource groups, or take a walk on Main Street and you will be met with warm smiles.
Director of Talent Acquisition and Employment