Enrollment per class: 60
Program begins: Summer (late June)
Average Admission Scores (Most recently admitted class — as of 4/1/2020)
- Average cumulative undergraduate GPA: 3.78
- Average science prerequiste GPA: 3.68
- Average GRE scores: 68th percentile (Verbal); 63rd percentile (Math)
It is recommended that candidates review the technical standards found on pages 41-43 of the University of Delaware (UD) Department of Physical Therapy Program Policy Document. (See section “Manuals & Forms”)
NOTE: Meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission. Acceptance is based on academic excellence, GRE performance, evidence of physical therapy clinical experience, the required essays, interview (by invitation only), and letters of recommendation.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) must be taken and scores forwarded to the University of Delaware (School Code 5811). GRE scores older than five years will not be accepted for admission.
- Verification of 50 hours minimum observing a licensed physical therapist during patient care. A minimum of 25 hours is required at time of application. A minimum of 50 hours is required at time of matriculation.
Update: Given restrictions in place during the COVID-19 pandemic, UDPT reduced the number of required observation hours to a total of 50 minimum for enrollment during the 2021-22 admissions cycle. It is preferred that applicants have at least 25 hours completed at time of application.
- Three letters of recommendation — two from licensed physical therapists whom you have observed/interacted with during patient care (Letters from a family member or close friend will not fulfill this requirement); one from a professor of an upper-level course you took. Applicants are highly encouraged to obtain at least one recommendation from a physical therapist, if possible.
- Completion of prerequisite courses with a grade of C (2.0 minimum) or higher (see list that follows).
- Completion of the PTCAS application. Please note that PTCAS applicant data of candidates who apply to UDPT will automatically transfer into the UD supplemental graduate application system. After the data transfer occurs, candidates will receive an email from the UD Graduate College to create a login, answer a couple of additional questions and pay a $35 supplemental application fee. DO NOT create a supplemental account or application prior to receiving the email from our Graduate Office. The supplemental application is due within one week of receiving the notice from the UD Graduate College. Candidates without a supplemental application on file will be considered incomplete and may not be reviewed for an admissions interview.
- Payment of UD supplemental fee $35.
- By invitation, an interview with the admissions committee, which is required for admission.
- Introductory or General Psychology (3 credits/1 semester): A foundation course in the application of the scientific method to problems of human behavior and experience.
- Introductory or General Statistics (3 credits/1 semester): Probability; estimation; classical statistical inference; modern decision theory.
- Introductory or General Biology w/labs (8 credits/2 semesters): Biology of the cell both structure and function. Perpetuation of life cell division, genetics and development. Origin of life and diversity of life. Material also included is the physiology of multi-cellular organisms: fungi, plants, and animals. The biology of populations, including behavior, evolution and ecology. (An Anatomy and/or Physiology course may NOT be used to fulfill this requirement).
- Introductory or General Chemistry w/labs (8 credits/2 semesters): Matter, the changes that matter undergoes, and the laws governing these changes, with greater emphasis on atomic and molecular structure, chemical bonding, equilibria and energy relationships. Includes one three hour lab per week.
- Introductory or General Physics w/labs (8 credits/2 semesters): Fundamentals of physics, classical and modern; includes mathematics and problem solving. Calculus or Trigonometry based Physics will fulfill this requirement.
- Human or Mammalian Anatomy* w/lab (4 credits/1 semester)
- Human or Mammalian Physiology* w/lab (4 credits/1 semester): Principle underlying function of organisms at the organ system level; ionic composition and regulation, respiration, circulation, nutritive metabolism, excretion and neuromuscular activity. (Exercise Physiology may NOT be used to fulfill this requirement)
*May substitute two-course sequence of anatomy and physiology.
- The University of Delaware DPT Program requires all international educational documents to be evaluated by World Education Services (WES), arranged for by the applicant, prior to submission of the PTCAS application.
- The TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) is the standard University requirement to show proof of English language proficiency. A waiver of the TOEFL exam is permitted when:
- A degree has been earned in a country where English is the primary language.
- A degree has already been earned in the United States.
- Following are UDPT’s preferred minimum TOEFL scores on each section of the exam:
- Total: 100 IBT or 600 paper-based
- Reading: 26
- Writing: 24
- Listening: 22
- Speaking: 26
- For complete instructions, please visit the Graduate College admissions website.
|COURSE||TYPE OR LEVEL/SEMESTERS AND (CREDITS)|
|Calculus||Introductory/ 1 semester (3 credits)|
|English Composition||Introductory/ 1 semester (3 credits)|
|Psychology||Upper-level/ 1 semester (3 credits)|
|COURSE||TYPE OR LEVEL/SEMESTERS AND (CREDITS)|
|Medical Ethics||Introductory / 1 (3)|
|Public Speaking||Introductory / 1 (3)|
|Sociology of Health Care||Introductory / 1 (3)|
|Sociology||Introductory / 1 (3)|
|Inter-professional Education||Introductory / 1 (3)|
|Interpersonal Relationships/Communications||Introductory / 1 (3)|