UD closing at 3 p.m., March 20
March 20, 2018
UD's Newark campus to close at 3 p.m., today
Update: UD will remain closed on Wednesday, March 21. Details are posted here.
The University of Delaware will close at 3 p.m., today, March 20.
Classes scheduled to begin after 3 p.m., March 20, will not meet, and offices will be closed after that time. No decision has been made at this time about operations on Wednesday, March 21.
Information about any additional closings or schedule changes will be posted on this page. Please check back for updates. To submit information for inclusion in this list, please send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The three residential dining locations -- Caesar Rodney Fresh Food Company, Russell Dining and Pencader Dining -- will be open for normal dinner hours of operation on March 20. Pencader Dining will be closed for late night service. All retail locations will close at 3 p.m., today, with the exception of the Laird and Harrington P.O.D. Markets, which will be open for normal hours of operation.
• The Carpenter Sports Building (Little Bob) will close at 6 p.m., March 20. As of now, the facility is set to open at 7 a.m., Wednesday, March 21. Participants should monitor the @UDLilBob social media channels and bluehens.com/recreationhours for updates. Lap swim, fitness classes and other programs scheduled after 3 p.m., March 20, and before 7 a.m., Wednesday, March 21, are cancelled.
• Both the Trabant University Center and the Perkins Student Center closed at 3 p.m., March 20. All events and programs scheduled for Tuesday evening are canceled.
• The Gold Ice Arena is closing at 5:30 p.m., March 20, and the Rust Ice Arena is closing at 6:30 p.m., March 20.
• The UD Library, Museums and Press, including the Chemistry and Physics branch libraries, closed at 3 p.m., March 20.
• The Serafin String Quartet concert, scheduled at 8 p.m., March 20, in the Gore Recital Hall, is canceled.
• The Barnes and Noble UD Bookstore is closing at 3 p.m., March 20.
• A poetry reading with Celeste Doaks scheduled at 4:30 p.m., today in the Morris Library has been postponed.
• The UDrive Vehicle Check-Up scheduled on Thursday, March 21, is canceled.
Safety is UD's highest priority. Faculty, staff and students should not put themselves at risk, and employees who expect difficulty traveling should contact their supervisors.
The University's policy is reprinted below:
Faculty and students are not expected to take unnecessary risks to meet their teaching and learning obligations due to inclement weather. When classes have not been canceled, it is a matter of personal judgment whether traveling to campus is hazardous. Faculty should notify their departmental offices when weather precludes them from meeting their teaching obligations; similarly, students should notify their professors when inclement weather precludes them from class attendance. In such cases, students should be allowed to make up missed class time and, whenever possible, canceled classes should be rescheduled.