Demolition of Conover Apartment Buildings set
Photo by Evan Krape September 09, 2022
Apartments previously housed married students, students with disabilities
This month the University of Delaware will begin demolition of the Conover Apartment Buildings on South Main Street, just north of the Center for the Arts parking garage.
The demolition, which begins later this month, is expected to take two months.
Built in 1958, the two brick apartment buildings are approximately 18,532 square feet each. Originally, they housed married students and were later partially renovated to accommodate students with disabilities. The buildings have been closed since November 2018.
The 9.18 acre parcel of land where the buildings are located will be assigned to the campus master planning effort.
The buildings were named in honor of Elisha Conover, professor of ancient languages who taught here from 1895-1937. According to historian John Munroe in his book The University of Delaware: A History, Prof. Conover was a beloved figure on campus “known for his kind heart, his easy grading and his devotion to the school.” Prof. Conover delivered the UD Commencement address in 1935. Some of his papers are in the collections of the UD Library, Museums and Press.