Nominations now open for Seitz Award
April 12, 2018
UD community encouraged to recognize outstanding first- or second-year students
Nominations are open now through May 4 for the Seitz Award, celebrating outstanding first- or second-year students at the University of Delaware.
Coordinated through the Division of Student Life by the Office of the Dean of Students, this annual award recognizes a first- or second-year student who embodies the student-created “We Are Blue Hens” values statement. All UD faculty, staff, and students may submit nominations here.
The fund for the George and Margaret Collins Seitz Award was established in 1954 at UD by Margaret Seitz to honor the memory of her mother and father. This annual recognition, which includes a $1,500 award, is presented each spring to a first- or second-year student who exemplifies outstanding character by demonstrating and encouraging in others the following values:
- Respect – We support the inherent right for all members of our community to have a voice and freely share their ideas. We acknowledge that an environment where there is mutual respect and dialogue, leads to greater learning.
- Openness – We believe that diversity is not enough. Diversity is acknowledging that differences exist. Openness means that we are accepting of learning from and engaging with all members of our community.
- Innovation – We challenge all Blue Hens to be bold and creative as we strive for a better world. We will be committed to progress, while recognizing the value of past experiences. Our education provides us limitless opportunities to move ourselves and others forward.
- Engagement – We will take an active role in the life of the university, both as learners and contributing community members. We know that true growth comes from being an active and engaged participant in our experiences.
- Mentorship – We seek to become visionary and passionate Blue Hens who understand our role in fostering society’s next generation of responsible and ethical leaders. We will build relationships that foster excellence, support, and accountability.
The full “We Are Blue Hens” values statement can be found here.
Nominees must be matriculated UD first- or second-year students in good academic and disciplinary standing. They may be from any major, may live on or off campus and are not required to demonstrate financial need. The award winner is determined by a committee comprised of UD faculty, staff and students and will be announced prior to the end of the spring semester.
Nominations will be accepted until May 4 at 11:59 p.m., and must be submitted via the online form.