Medical Laboratory Sciences: M.S.
The MS in Medical Laboratory Science program is not intended for those who are already certified medical technologists or who have completed a bachelor’s degree in MLS. Upon completion, these individuals will be eligible to take a national examination for certification as a medical laboratory scientist.
Through this degree, students will gain specialized, in-depth professional hands-on skills and leadership competencies preparing them to succeed within the increasingly clinical laboratory sciences sector. The MS in MLS will allow students to gain defined “bench-focused” technical competency, in addition to training in regulatory and fiscal affairs that impact laboratory management. Completion of this program, accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science (NAACLS), will prepare students to perform clinical laboratory testing and to complete the national certification examination in Medical Laboratory Science, MLS(ASCP). Following graduation students can apply their knowledge to meet specific career goals whether it be clinical laboratory practice or (with experience) management.
Benefits of the program include:
- Gaining a workforce-ready, well-rounded and marketable technical skill set geared for future employment
- Exposure to regulatory, fiscal and management aspects of laboratory practice
- Rapid and fixed time frame of degree completion (18 months)
- Internships integrated into the curriculum offer a leg up in the job market upon graduation
- Preparation to sit for the medical laboratory scientist board of certification exam offered through the American Society for Clinical Pathology, MLS(ASCP)
|January 15: Final deadline to apply|
The 2023-2024 UD graduate student tuition rate per credit hour is $1028.
Due to a College of Health Sciences Dean’s Scholarship, the student tuition rate is lower than the published UD graduate tuition rate. The final student tuition rate for the Medical Laboratory Sciences program is $815/credit. Please contact the department for more information. BHAN