Diversity and Inclusion
The Graduate College supports the Council of Graduate Schools' Resolution: “Building An Inclusive Graduate Community: A Statement of Principles”
Toward that end, our office supports the development and success of historically underrepresented graduate students at the University of Delaware. Within these pages you will learn how UD enhances the graduate school experience for all by facilitating diversity of thought, background and perspective amongst its graduate community. We welcome all to actively engage in the support of an inclusive graduate community.
Graduate College Action Steps:
- Expand participation of underrepresented groups
- Develop effective, innovative and better coordinated recruitment
- Create targeted retention strategies
- Offer new and expanding incentive and scholarship programs
Preparing Future Graduate Students
These institutes enable undergraduate students from UD and other institutions to explore the varied and exciting opportunities available in graduate education at the University of Delaware.
- College of Agriculture and Natural Resources Summer Institute
This four-week program introduces students to the exciting opportunities in graduate education at the UD College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. Students conduct hands-on research in such areas as animal production, environmental science, molecular biology and genomics, food science, horticulture, and more.
- College of Agriculture and Natural Resources ENVISION Program
UD Envision is a five year continuation of a previously-awarded three year program, funded through the National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA) focused on generating the next generation of Agricultural Scientists. As minorities are underrepresented in these disciplines and research target areas, this project has been developed to address this disparity. Intensive, hands-on research education and experiential learning projects help to bridge the perceptual change required for students to Envision themselves as Scientists.
- College of Earth, Ocean and Environment Summer Internship Program
Supported by a grant from the National Science Foundation’s Division of Ocean Sciences, this REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) program awards 10 science, engineering and mathematics undergraduates summer internships to conduct guided research in marine science.
- Delaware EPSCoR Program
The Experimental Program to Stimulate Competitive Research (EPSCoR) is funded by the National Science Foundation to help states build strategic research initiatives and institutions. In Delaware, this includes Delaware State University (including the CIBER program), Wesley College, Delaware Technical Community College and the University of Delaware (including the UD Delaware Environmental Institute (DENIN) program ). More
- NIH INBRE Undergraduate Research Opportunities
Are you wondering if a career in human health research might be for you? Are you perseverant and a team player? Would you like to build both scientific understanding and communication skills? Delaware INBRE provides undergraduate research scholarships to students who want to experience hands-on research in a laboratory or clinical setting. Undergraduates carry out mentored biomedical research at Delaware INBRE partner institutions, and students may apply for an opportunity as early as the summer after their freshman year. INBRE undergraduate researchers students take part in a retreat, special seminars, research symposia and poster sessions.
National Diversity Resources
Below are key national minority conference, presentation, poster session and networking opportunities. Participation in these organizations allows collaboration across institutions whether it be within a specialized field or in the form of advocacy. An individual student can develop his/her own supportive, specialized network amongst peers at a national level.
- American Indian Science and Engineering Society
- Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students
- East West Center
- GEM Consortium
- Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities
- International Black Doctoral Network Association
- National Association for Equal Opportunity in Higher Education
- National Black Graduate Student Conference
- National Organization for the Professional Advancement of Black Chemists and Chemical Engineers
- National Society of Black Engineers
- Society for the Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science
- Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers