Form 1098-T


Form 1098-T Information

The University of Delaware is not qualified to provide legal and/or tax advice.  The information provided may or may not reflect recent revisions in IRS regulations.  For tax advice on your specific situation, contact a tax professional.

Available in My Finances

1098-T forms for the previous calendar (tax) year will be available in My Finances no later than January 31.  Students can log in to view and print the form to provide it, if applicable, to those eligible to claim them as a dependent.  Forms will not be mailed and, per FERPA regulations, UD can only provide 1098-T forms directly to students.

The forms will only be available to students who meet the following criteria:

  • Maintain a valid, active home or mailing address in UDSIS
  • Have paid tax-reportable tuition, fees, or financial aid transactions to the student account during the reported calendar year (including prior year adjustments)
Where to access form 1098-T in My Finances


Reporting Method

UD reports qualified payments in Box 1 on the 1098-T., as the federal government no longer allows the University to report qualified expenses in Box 2 (effective tax year 2018).


  • Paid tuition
  • Paid mandatory student fees (excluding Student Health Service Fee)
  • Paid course/lab fees
  • Scholarships
  • Grants


  • Student loan interest - if applicable, loan provider will issue tax statements for deductible loan interest
  • Room and board expenses
  • Fines (such as parking, library, or late fees)
  • Tuition and fees for non-credit courses
  • Books - book costs and payments are usually tax deductible, but UD does not post those charges to student accounts, so students should keep invoices and receipts of those transactions for their own tax records.

Prior Year Adjustments

  • Items that have been reversed will appear in applicable prior-year boxes (4 or 6).
  • Reassessed items will appear in the applicable reporting-year boxes (1 or 5).
  • Revised items will appear in the applicable prior-year AND reporting-year boxes (1 and 4 or 5 and 6).


Other Resources

UD does not provide tax advice.  Please consult a tax expert for 1098-T and other tax advice.  Additional assistance may be found by visiting the following.