UD Athlete Internship Program
UD ATHLETE INTERNSHIP PROGRAM
By becoming a UD Athlete Internship host, you can connect with the university, see your professional experience in a new light and make a direct and positive impact on the professional development of young student athletes. In addition, your organization can benefit from the additional exposure and the unique values that student-athletes bring to the workforce.
The goal of the program is to create mutually beneficial experiences for the athletes and the UD employers, alumni and parent participants. Thereby, allowing University of Delaware athletes to gain valuable professional experience and stand out among the competition.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:
DEVELOPING PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCES FOR UD ATHLETES
The Career Center and Department of Athletics are launching the UD Athlete Internship Program, as part of the BLUE program. This program is designed provide a customizable experience that meets the professional needs of busy student-athletes, while also connecting UD employers, alumni-athletes and parents with exceptional talent.
Internships provide students with the ability to gain skills, knowledge and experience that can be applied to classroom learning and future career preparation. UD athletes maintain rigorous year-round academic and athletic schedules. However, it is also important that they engage in professional experiences outside of the classroom that will ultimately prepare them for successful careers after college.
Defined by the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) as: “a form of experiential learning that integrates knowledge and theory learned in the classroom with practical application and skills development in a professional setting. Internships give students the opportunity to gain valuable applied experience and make connections in professional fields they are considering for career paths; and give employers the opportunity to guide and evaluate talent.”
SHORT-TERM, PROJECT-BASED INTERNSHIPS
Timeframe: 10 to 40 hours per week during winter term and summer or six to 15 hours per week during fall and spring; two to five days per week; two to five weeks in length
Project-based internships consist of a short-term project that builds skills and knowledge in a career field while still benefiting the employer. The internship may also include networking opportunities with professionals and the shadowing of various roles within a workplace. They may or may not carry credit, and they may be paid or unpaid.
Timeframe: 10 to 40 hours per week during summer or six to 15 hours per week during fall and spring; two to five days per week; five to 14 weeks in length
Most traditional internships are longer experiences spread out over a semester (fall, spring, summer). They may or may not carry credit, and they may be paid or unpaid.
- Complete the interest form at the bottom of this section.
- A UD Career Center staff member will contact you to guide you through the process of creating and posting an internship in Handshake, the Career Center’s recruiting platform.
- Internship postings can be set up so applicants can apply throughout the year (recommended) or during a specific time period.
- Once posted, you will receive an email once a quarter, confirming that you wish to keep the application process open or to reopen the process for another quarter
- All UD Athlete Internship opportunities will be posted in Handshake (See Internship Posting Process)
- Student athletes will submit a resume and statement of interest
- Handshake notify you via email each time an athlete applies for one of your posted opportunities
- You will then select any student athletes you would like to interview or contact
- If it is a good fit, then hopefully you will offer them an internship experience.
To get involved in the UD Athlete Internship Program please complete the UD Athlete Internship Interest Form here.
A member of the Career Center for Athletes Team will be in touch with you to discuss next steps in the registration process.
For more information contact: Christine Motta, Career Center for Athletes | email@example.com | 302-831-1450
In order to post a UD athlete internship opportunity, there is certain information we will need to gather to include in the posting.
- A detailed description of what the athlete will do while interning at your organization
- Employer contact information, including website URL
- Your job title
- Your primary job function
- The duration and/or semester(s) that the internship may take place
- Industry area
- What class years may apply
- What majors may apply
- If work authorization is required
SAMPLE UD ATHLETE INTERNSHIP DESCRIPTION/POSTING
Employer X is looking for 1-2 strong student-athlete candidates with a concentration in Statistics (or another comparable concentration) for a summer and/or fall internship. An ideal candidate would have some sort of business/banking knowledge and/or have strong analytical prowess to supplement their stats/modeling expertise. Candidates must have working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (Excel and PowerPoint, at least).
WEBSITE WITH ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ABOUT THIS INTERNSHIP HOST
Temporary / Seasonal (Summer or Fall)
Joe Smith firstname.lastname@example.org
Data & Analytics
UD ATHLETE INTERNSHIP PROGRAM
The UD Athlete Internship Program is an internship program designed for University of Delaware student athletes. Interns gain experience working in an industry setting while working out an internship schedule with the employer. UD Athlete Interns work on short-term projects, research, reports and campaigns. They explore industry interests, enhancing learning with experience.
Applicants must be a UD student athlete
ALLOWED SCHOOL YEARS
All school years and graduation dates allowed
WORK AUTHORIZATION REQUIREMENTS
US work authorization is required