1. Review UD deadlines, requirements, & what we look for in an applicant at www.udel.edu/apply. All students that submit their completed application by UD’s deadline of January 15 are automatically considered for merit awards.
2. Establish a Common Application Account at www.commonapp.org and read the instructions below before diving in to submit your application. Your Common Application and UD Writing Supplement must be submitted online.
3. Add the University of Delaware to your college list under “My Colleges.”
4. Prepare your Common Application Essay by choosing one topic and writing a 250-word minimum/650-word maximum response. The following are this year’s essay prompts:
• Some students have a background or story that is so central to their identity that they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.
• Recount an incident or time when you experienced failure. How did it affect you, and what lessons did you learn?
• Reflect on a time when you challenged a belief or idea. What prompted you to act? Would you make the same decision again?
• Describe a place or environment where you are perfectly content. What do you do or experience there, and why is it meaningful to you?
• Discuss an accomplishment or event, formal or informal, that marked your transition from childhood to adulthood within your culture, community, or family.
5. Select at least two individuals that will support your application (parents don’t count!) and add their information under “Assign Recommenders.” You will be required to include:
• the name and email address of your college counselor
• the name and email address of at least one teacher
6. Submit your intended major & academic options. Review UD’s 145+ academic majors at www.udel.edu/majorfinder to identify the major that most interests you.
7. You will also be expected to complete the UD Writing Supplement, which contains a question regarding your choice to apply to UD. An additional essay is required of students wishing to be considered for the University Honors Program and/or major in Occupational Therapy (Health Studies).
8. Students interested in applying to majors in Apparel Design, Art, and Music must review and submit additional portfolio requirements via the “Art Supplement.”
9. Once you have completed all answers but before you click “submit,” take advantage of “Print Preview” to be sure that you are comfortable with your answers.
10. Print and save copies of your application for your own records.
11. Submit your Application. (Confirm that you have successfully submitted both your Common Application and UD Writing Supplement in the University of Delaware section of your Common App account.)
12. Submit your Application Fee
13. Ask testing agencies to have your official standardized test scores sent directly to UD (SAT: use UD school code 5811) (ACT: use UD school code 0634).
14. Confirm with your school counselor that your secondary school transcripts are sent to UD. If you have taken college courses, you must also request that those transcripts be sent to UD.
15. Remember to check your status on your custom UD portal via www.udel.edu/mybluehenhome.