University of Delaware
Search University of Delaware

Hosting a J1 Visiting Scholar

Japanese Ambassador

When bringing foreign nationals to campus, it is strongly recommended for UD Departments to contact OISS as early in the process as possible.

Please note that immigration regulations are subject to change and can vary depending on your particular case or situation. Always consult an OISS advisor for the most accurate information or whenever in doubt.

A Visiting Scholar on a J-1 Visa

Academic departments interested in hosting an exchange visitor must submit the following to the OISS at least one month prior to the requested start of the visiting scholar:
1.    Request for J-1 Visiting Scholar
2.    A copy of the UD offer letter with start and end date of the program as well as any funding provided by the university.
3.    Proof of funding (if UD is not funding the scholar)
4.    Export Control Certification for J-1 Visiting Scholars signed by the Research Office
5.    $100 Department Authorization Form (if the dept. is paying the $100 International Service Fee) or Payroll Deduction
6.    A completed FedEx or DHL International Air bill to ship the immigration documents to the scholar abroad
The hosting faculty member, as well as the department chair, must sign the Request for Visiting Scholar Form. Forms will not be processed without the appropriate signatures. A DS-2019 form (Certificate of Eligibility) will be sent to the exchange visitor along with instructions on paying the SEVIS fee and applying for a visa at the US Consulate or embassy.

*As of February 1, 2014,  the OISS requires an Export Control Certification signed by the Research Office for all J-1 visa requests before we are able to issue a DS-2019 for the visiting scholar.*