J-2 dependents can apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) from USCIS in order to be employed in the United States but may begin employment only after receiving the EAD from USCIS
In order or apply for the EAD you must submit the following to USCIS:
- Download and complete form I-765 (Please Read the instruction before printing or filling the form)
- A letter to USCIS stating that employment is not necessary to support the J-1 but is for other purposes.
- A copy of J-1's valid DS-2019.
- A copy of both the J-1 and J-2's I-94, front and back.
- 2 U.S. passport photos.
- Check in the amount of $380 made payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security.