University of Delaware

Advanced Placement, College Credit, International Baccalaureate & Special College Programs for High School Students

The University of Delaware awards advanced standing credit in three ways: through Advanced Placement tests taken through the College Board, through college credit taken while still in high school, and through the International Baccalaureate Program.



Advanced Placement (AP) Exams

Students will almost always be granted credit through the Advanced Placement Program for scores of 4 or 5, and in most cases for scores of 3. In order to receive credit, you need to have the Educational Testing Service send an official copy of your Advanced Placement scores to the Admissions Office.


International Baccalaureate (IB)

The International Baccalaureate (IB) program offers courses in six subject groups. The courses are graded on a scale of 1 (minimum) to 7 (maximum). The University of Delaware will consider transfer credit for these courses so long as these conditions are met:

International Baccalaureate accepted scores and credits awarded  
The University of Delaware recognizes the importance of the International Baccalaureate Program.  The information on IB credits is subject to change. Information will be updated on this chart on an ongoing basis.

  • The subject was taken at the Higher Level. Delaware does not grant credit for subjects taken at the Subsidiary Level
  • You must have received a grade of "4" or higher.
  • If you are an international student and your native language is not English, then you must also have scored at least a 570 on the paper version, or at least 90 on the computer version, of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). We also accept the (IELTS) in place of the TOEFL. Scores of 6.5 or higher are necessary.
  • You may transfer no more than a year's worth of credit in each IB course.


Other Opportunities for Receiving College Credit While Still In High School

There are a number of special programs (for example, Project Advance through Syracuse University) that allow high school students to earn college credit. Delaware's policy is to accept these credits with these conditions:

  • The course must appear on a college transcript, and the college must be fully accredited by the appropriate regional accrediting agency. We will not grant credit if the course appears only on a high school transcript.
  • You must have passed the course with a C or better.
  • The course must be an academic course with an equivalent course offered

Gap Year programs at Non-U.S. Universities

Freshmen who want to transfer coursework from non-U.S. Gap Year programs before enrolling at UD must first submit the official college transcript for evaluation to the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO).